Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Stanridge Speed Bicycles

Strong Frames has been at the front of the Paceline for a while now but its time for Carl to pull off and let Ohio based builder Adam Eldridge take a pull. So, this week at the front of the Paceline: Stanridge Speed Bicycles

Quote:
My name is Adam Eldridge. Stanridge Cycles is my creation. Iím often asked, ďHow and where did you learn to do this?Ē When Iím standing at the vice running over the 4130 chromoly with a bastard file, I have plenty of time to think: how did I get to this point? Honestly, placing my finger on one singular event in my life that motivated me to craft Stanridge Cycles is not easy.

Iíve never been one to shy from a challenge. At eighteen, I was running on southern Atlanta roads and pushing deep into the ďpain cave.Ē Coach Westbrook pushed us hard. It was during those years that I learned to push my limits to achieve a goal. A state championship my final year cemented the value of hard work. Back then I didnít want to get stuck out on the red clay back roads or beaten back to school by teammates. Now, as I am building my future and the legacy of Stanridge Cycles, I am continually reaching back to the lessons learned on long endurance runs.

During the summers early in my life, I spent time with both my grandfathers in their shops. Papaw made a living in auto upholstery. Granddad was an entrepreneur who focused on gas, oil and everything mechanical. My grandfathersí influence was the primary motivation that drove me to develop the skill set I would need to handcraft Stanridge Cycles. Stanridge is an amalgamation of their surnames. It was their love of craftsmanship, the pride in their work, and the way they carried themselves that left such a lasting impression on me.

As consumers weíve grown tired of mundane factory-produced goods. The last few years have pushed us to spend a few extra minutes examining our consumption patterns and purchase decisions. Supporting the small guy and creating a lasting relationship is important to us now. American craftsmanship and a staunch resolve shaped this great country into what it is today. Now more than ever, itís important to bring production back into America, to return to that ingenuity that made us great. I take pride in producing goods here in the U.S.A.
Mentally and physically pushing ourselves to improve Stanridge Cycles consumes every waking minute. The investment, both monetarily and on the clock, is completely worth it. We place a strong emphasis on cultivating relationships with my clients, partners, and employees. Making a perfect bicycle is our utmost goal. Your on-bike experience is paramount.

Stanridge Speed
http://www.stanridgespeed.com/

Stanridge Speed Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stanri...s/124492311847

Stanridge Speed Video

Mr. Eldridge was kind enough to answer a list of questions for us that are a mix of standards and member contributions...plus a few off-the-wall thrown into the mix. Our hope was to convey the builders love of their craft, hard details, and offer a few questions that bring out a bit of the human element that that helps them create the works that we love. Adam is also a member of the forum so if you have additional questions you would like to ask him about his craft, please do so.

Q&A with Adam Eldridge:

How / why did you decide to become a frame builder?
Firstly, Iíd like to thank you William for the chance to expose my brand to the paceline! Whew.

OK now where do I begin? How- I took a brazing class from Mr Doug Fattic. Why- Tired of being a cog in the machine after graduation from University.

Letís back up. My brand is named after my grandfathers. Joseph Milburn Eldridge and George Stanton. Stanridge is a combination of their surnames. Both of these gentlemen were influencers early in my life.

Both were self-made. Both worked with their hands. While Papaw would recover seats and replace headliners in his basement I was masking the windows and spray painting matchbox cars. I was taking the 22 rifle out and shooting coffee cans at 25 yards. I was making bats out of cardboard vinyl spool rolls. I was looking through the gun almanac.

While granddad was out I was looking through the junkyard at discarded personal belongings, sitting in the driver seat of the junked XKE, playing in the old greyhound bus and avoiding the yellow jacket nest, dreaming about the chris-craft and wondering where the hell he was going to take the hovercraft.

Early that weekday morning when my ring finger slipped in-between the chain and the sprocket youíd say I got my intro. To this day I have a reminder of how dangerous bicycles can truly be, I had the back wheel spinning fast as hell and now also a lasting trophy.

So this is why, my grandfathers, they exposed me to how truly satisfying it can be to work with ones hands.

What influences the artistic side of your designs?
Dieter Rams, ďLess but betterĒ. The Bonneville Salt flats (gas tank racers). Tokyo. 60ís muscle. 40ís hotrods. Kimura. Vincent bobbers. FLW. Eames.

What is your method to determine fit?
I follow the teachings of Dr. Arnie Baker. Usually itís tough for the client and I to get together as 80% of my work goes out of the country. 6 measurements are requested via a ďfit packetĒ. If the client is relatively local to Columbus weíll set up a personal meeting. In this day and age of communication methods it almost becomes unnecessary to meet face to face. Either way weíll take contact points of of the existing rig. Try and come to mutual articulation of how it should feel when theyíre over the road. Then weíll ball everything up over emails and make it happen. Iíd argue that many donít need a custom ďfitĒ. The clients want a custom rig that wont be passed in their peloton

What is it that keeps you passionate and focused?
The bills. Seriously, Refer back to my influencers. I donít spend much time on blogs, as I donít want to regurgitate subconsciously what Johnny Framebuilder just made. Itís my drive to better myself and my craft everyday. Have you ever watched Jiro Makes Sushi? Jiro, Ladies and Gents is what I strive to be.

How many times have you burned yourself?
What, by grabbing the wrong end of the CO-4? Plenty.

What's your favorite beer?
Lately - SixPoint RESIN. Anything continuously hopped. Who am I kidding any of it as long as itís cold. Ohh and Burbon! Letís not get started on Burbon. Burbon drinkers speak up!

Heard any cool music lately?
Yeah, both Sabbath albums from 1970.

How did you meet your spouse or significant other?
Significant other? Ha. Iím busting my ass from 5a-6p 6 days a week. Whatís a significant other?

What's there to do for fun in your town?
On Mondayís Iíll hit up Bodega for $1 grill cheese at 4p. Hop on the bike for the Monday Night Ride and end up at Beckís around 11 for all you can eat pizza.

Do you put ketchup on your hotdog?
Only if the ketchup has been well used previously to me grabbing it.. if itís not one of the fancy upside down bottles, forget about it. No tomato water buns for me.

What type of bicycle is requested the most for you to build? Road, cross, track, fixed...?
You know in the beginning I needed to differentiate Stanridge so I dreamed up a frame (Why do great ideas always come to me in the shower?) called the Highstreet Pursuit. I equate the HSP to a show car. Itís so damn unpractical but it looks so cool. Just like the AC cobraís I lusted over at 15, 427 please.

So yeah, the HSP gets ordered all over the world. We sent two to Seoul last month, A couple to Jakarta. Etc. Itís really weird honestly. I canít wrap my brain around the fact that kids halfway around the world know about SRS in a 500sq ft shop in Columbus.

I like building with lugs as long as theyíre not stainless or crappy castings..ha. Sometimes Iíll do something silly like cut Pacentiís in half to make a sloping geo frame. Did you see that??! It was profit margin.. it just flew out the window!

Who would you want to build a bike for you?
Bicycle - Weigle, Eisentrout BIKE- Kimura, Max Schaaf

What is it about your approach to building/designing bikes makes you unique, or separates you from the other builders out there?
Iíve heard quite a few times itís my constant communication. Iím a communication Nazi. It drives folks up the wall. If something wonít work, Iíll be up front. If something has thrown the timeline off, Iíll let you know. Iím a big believer in under promising and over delivering.

You know what it is about me? Itís the connection Iím going to form with you. Iíll make a hell of a bike for a kid trying to rub two nickels together to make a dime or the VP of a fortune 500.

Everyone is the same in my book. Iím making it as if I was going to ride it.

If weíre not jiving or I get the sense youíre going to try and micro manage the process you can ring another builder, thereís enough of us out here.

I guess my stuff speaks to the architects, photographers and designers. Folks who are into clean design with minimal branding. My whole life Iíve been the guy in the back of the room listing to every word and only speaking up when necessary. My bikes donít need 3000 logos or a descriptive of the ďnewestĒ technological innovation. Itís the details. Itís the bit that youíll notice after you tear it apart with your eyeballs for the third time.

How long is your wait list?
My wait list is always short because I work my ass off. I donít believe in a long list. My list is always under 6 months. Who wants to wait over 6 months for a bike?

How long have you been building frames.
Iíve been building since í09. If you come across a í09 bike DONíT BUY IT! Ha. If you were one of the three I bro dealíed with in í09, forget you read that.

Do you have a favorite part of the building process?
The end.. Ha.. Seriously. Itís the end after the first ride around the warehouse. Itíll never get old.

What is the most unusual / unique bicycle you've ever built?
A 650B Fendered Disk Belt Full Internal through a Niner steel shell Racked Monster. Learning lesson on what order not to take next time.

What is your favorite non-cycling obsession?
In my previous life I worked in Marketing for BMW. I had my own E30 M3 track car. Wow. I could really get into amateur SCCA

Akron or a-Town?
Iíve never been to either. But lets say a-town it makes it Akron sound bearable.

Many thanks to Adam for taking the time to answer our questions! Please feel free to ask him any questions that you would like to ask.

William

PS: In case you missed it, the previous Builder Spotlight can be found here...

Last edited by William; 12-31-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Administrator

John Watson Photos

Adam!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photocred-John Watson.jpg (23.7 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg PhotoCred-JohnWatson.jpg (139.8 KB, 555 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shop1.jpg (88.1 KB, 558 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shop1A.jpg (91.2 KB, 555 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg shop2.jpg (68.9 KB, 556 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shop3.jpg (106.3 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg Shop4.jpg (86.0 KB, 550 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shop5.jpg (145.6 KB, 547 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shop6.jpg (105.8 KB, 547 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shop7.jpg (66.1 KB, 545 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Build1.jpg (68.3 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg Build2.jpg (90.7 KB, 541 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Build3.jpg (51.7 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg Build4.jpg (134.1 KB, 541 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Build5.jpg (101.9 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg Build6.jpg (103.9 KB, 542 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Build7.jpg (75.9 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg Build8.jpg (65.7 KB, 539 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Build9.jpg (62.1 KB, 535 views)
File Type: jpg Build10.jpg (59.8 KB, 538 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Build11.jpg (70.1 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg Build12.jpg (86.0 KB, 534 views)