Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 01-17-2019, 12:35 AM

Kirk 29er

I've hinted at this one and posted some unbuilt pics in the "what's in your stand" thread, but never did put a proper Custom Gallery post together on it..

So here it is:

I picked this one up from Dave in mid-2018, somewhere around the time I put my deposit down on my MRB, but before I knew when that was going to get built. I think Houston tipped me off to its potential availability. And Dave confirmed he did want to let it go eventually to make room for other projects. I have a hard time saying no to amazing bikes that fit me, so I went for it, even though I'd committed to buying Lionel's Stumpy S-Works a week earlier. After getting the frameset in hand, I decided to sell off the S-Works and build this one up instead. But with me not knowing my way around disc brake configurations, and being preoccupied with the road season still in full swing, I never got around to building it - or completing the build. I decided a couple weeks ago that enough was enough and took it in to Golden Pliers to get the rear brake hooked up, bled, and new pads put in (they'd gotten fouled somewhere along the way).

I still haven't gotten it dirty. But it feels good on the trainer. I'm not sure how to dial in the stem length, setback, or bar width at this point. Everything feels a bit foreign. I think it's solidly within range though and I'm looking forward to getting it out on the trails soon. I still need to put fresh sealant in. And should probably get the fork freshened... MTBs are complicated!

Attached Images
File Type: png Kirk_29_Geo.png (127.0 KB, 1747 views)

Last edited by Clean39T; 01-17-2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:16 AM

That is one nice Hardtail! Love the color and set up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 AM

That's mint
Old 01-17-2019, 08:50 AM

Pretty much perfect. If I was getting a mountain bike built this would be it.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:09 PM

Great looking bike and a hell of a way to get on to good trails. It's the kind of bike I'd love to put together at some point too. Hope you have fun with it.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:27 PM

Yessir ! Love that color, also love the fact that it'd fit me (since I have virtually no grasp of MTB fit).

Begs the question, are terraplane seatstays an option on MTB frames? I don't see MTBs referenced on Dave's website.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad View Post
Great looking bike and a hell of a way to get on to good trails. It's the kind of bike I'd love to put together at some point too. Hope you have fun with it.
Only struggle here is in finding "good trails" - we have lots of fire-roads, but very little singletrack within decent driving distance - and the bike parks that are developed aren't exactly designed for this type of bike.. So, it's not going to get a ton of miles until/unless we move up out of Portland. That's okay though. If I can get out to do a few bucket-list XC rides in SW WA and around NW OR over the late-Spring/Summer, I'm good...
Old 01-18-2019, 03:18 PM

That is awesome. Love the color and bet it's going to be a blast to ride.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Only struggle here is in finding "good trails" - we have lots of fire-roads, but very little singletrack within decent driving distance - and the bike parks that are developed aren't exactly designed for this type of bike.. So, it's not going to get a ton of miles until/unless we move up out of Portland. That's okay though. If I can get out to do a few bucket-list XC rides in SW WA and around NW OR over the late-Spring/Summer, I'm good...
For some reason I just figured you'd have plenty of cool local Portland/OR singletrack. But I like your attitude; thinking in terms of day trips or overnights and getting some special riding in seems like a good way to savor that bike.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:50 PM

That is a nice one fur sur. I also like the color. What is the build? They are a nice change of pace to get off the roads once in a while. I just pick up a steel full rigid and did a some of the rail trails and fire roads in my area. We have a few inches of snow here so the fire roads dont see much foot or bike traffic and it is so nice and peaceful this time of year.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 PM

This bike is so cool. I love hard tail mtb bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
That is a nice one fur sur. I also like the color. What is the build? They are a nice change of pace to get off the roads once in a while. I just pick up a steel full rigid and did a some of the rail trails and fire roads in my area. We have a few inches of snow here so the fire roads dont see much foot or bike traffic and it is so nice and peaceful this time of year.
Thanks, hoping I'll finally get it out this weekend for some fire-road action..

Build is really straightforward.

XTR everything - 11/36 and 28/38.

DT Swiss Spline XR1501 - Vittoria Saguaro tires.

SID w lockout.

Bontrager PRO Stem and Carbon Bars - Ergon Grips w Carbon Ends.

Deda post and Bontrager Montrose Pro saddle.

CK headset.

Haven't weighed it - guessing mid-twenties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stj View Post
This bike is so cool. I love hard tail mtb bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks - I hope to do it some justice...