Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2019, 11:36 PM

I'd defer the cruise to another time for sure then.

If you want some inspiration before you go, I'd suggest reading Two in the Far North by Margaret Murie.

And watch Grizzly Man so you know what NOT to do when you encounter a bear. (*spoiler alert* he yells at them, so they eat him)
Old 11-24-2019, 12:02 AM

I worked for Holland America Cruise Line in Alaska for a few summers. I have made the drive once and flew the other times. I lead groups of 40 people through inland Alaska and Canada for 10 days at a time, via bus, train, and plane. I would pick up a group from the Anchorage airport and do a land tour to the cruise ship. I would then pick up another group from the ship and do the same tour backwards to the Anchorage airport.

First off determine what you really want to see and do. My advice I always told people, ask yourself when you are going to go back? For a lot of my guests it was a once in a life time vacation. It may be expensive but landing in a plane on Denali and walking around on a glacier was one of the best things I have ever done.

If I had 10 days to see the state I would want to see whales, bears, mountains and glaciers. I would want to fish and hike along the way. I would start by flying into Juneau and spending a day there. Rent a car and get on the ferry to Skagway. The ferry is a beautiful 6 hour ride. Drive from Skagway though the Yukon Territory and either up to Fairbanks or to Anchorage. There isn’t a ton to see in Fairbanks’s but that is pretty close to the arctic circle if you want to do that. Fairbanks is also a chance to see the northern lights if you are going late in the summer, September-ish. If you choose to head over to Anchorage you can drive about 4 hrs. north to Denali or take an 8 hr. train ride to Denali. Once you are back in Anchorage you can head south to Seward, Homer, Kenai or several other great place. Stop in the Aleyska resort if you want some fancy accommodations. Fly home from Anchorage.

That route is a lot of driving but you will literally see everything the state has to offer. Feel free to send me a message, I’m happy to talk more about it and answer any questions. Ultimately it doesn’t matter how to take the trip, just get up there and enjoy the state.

Last edited by msplette; 11-24-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
but somehow not ready to eat and drink my way through Alaska on a cruise ship the size of Detroit. Will look into a driving vaca of some sort.
“Old” is a mindset.
That ferry ride from Juneau to Haines (and back) is other-worldly. Do it. My wife and I spent the entire time on the rear deck composing photographs, playing cribbage, listening/watching for whales, and awestruck. We did Kenai, Seward, and Denali (on a rare clear day)...that boat ride was the best. We got off in Haines, hung out in town for a beer and burrito as the ship went over to Skagway, then caught it on its way back down to Juneau.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:51 AM

thank you all

you've provided great opinions and ideas.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msplette View Post
I worked for Holland America Cruise Line in Alaska for a few summers. I have made the drive once and flew the other times. I lead groups of 40 people through inland Alaska and Canada for 10 days at a time, via bus, train, and plane. I would pick up a group from the Anchorage airport and do a land tour to the cruise ship. I would then pick up another group from the ship and do the same tour backwards to the Anchorage airport.

First off determine what you really want to see and do. My advice I always told people, ask yourself when you are going to go back? For a lot of my guests it was a once in a life time vacation. It may be expensive but landing in a plane on Denali and walking around on a glacier was one of the best things I have ever done.

If I had 10 days to see the state I would want to see whales, bears, mountains and glaciers. I would want to fish and hike along the way. I would start by flying into Juneau and spending a day there. Rent a car and get on the ferry to Skagway. The ferry is a beautiful 6 hour ride. Drive from Skagway though the Yukon Territory and either up to Fairbanks or to Anchorage. There isn’t a ton to see in Fairbanks’s but that is pretty close to the arctic circle if you want to do that. Fairbanks is also a chance to see the northern lights if you are going late in the summer, September-ish. If you choose to head over to Anchorage you can drive about 4 hrs. north to Denali or take an 8 hr. train ride to Denali. Once you are back in Anchorage you can head south to Seward, Homer, Kenai or several other great place. Stop in the Aleyska resort if you want some fancy accommodations. Fly home from Anchorage.

That route is a lot of driving but you will literally see everything the state has to offer. Feel free to send me a message, I’m happy to talk more about it and answer any questions. Ultimately it doesn’t matter how to take the trip, just get up there and enjoy the state.
In 1995 I rode my m/c from Texas to Alaska, toured around, then took a ferry from Haines down to Prince Rupert, ferry from there to Vancouver Island, then rode on back.

Although I thought I’d go back, so far I haven’t and now probably won’t.

The above advice is the best I’ve read so far. Once in a lifetime. Combining the car and ferry is the way to go.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:45 AM

I worked aboard ship in Alaska for eight years, mostly out of Ketchikan and Cordova. I have been to almost every port town and fishing village from Yakutat in southeast to Adak out the Aleutians. I have also made the drive from Prince Rupert to Valdez and Haines to Valdez several times; those drives also included use of the Alaska Marine Highway System, aka the Alaska Ferry, originating in Bellingham. I have also traveled by air quite a bit. Some very good advice has been given so far but will add a couple of options and points.

The Alaska Airlines Milk Run is a unique way to see Southeast AK. If you take a bike some cool experiences are available. Riding a bike to a glacier is kind of cool.
https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...lk-run-flight/

The option of flying to Anchorage and using that city as a base may be the most cost effective. As other have mentioned you can drive to Homer, Seward and to the north. If you do drive, it is advised to be a little more prepared for emergency car trouble than in the lower 48. Some areas are remote, having water, food and weather protection and a sleeping bag is a good idea.

A note about the ferry. The ferry may not be as reliable as it once was; something going on with the system, the new governor, labor and privatization. When the time gets closer you may want to fully investigate the service.

If you would like more detailed information feel free to reach out via PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

I'd say cruise..like below
Small, no ball room dancing or entertainment type stuff..have an easy place to stay and eat everyday.

https://www.expeditions.com/brochure...brochureId=613

I took one in Norway. Fjord cruise..from Bergen to Kirkiness...wonderful.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:02 AM

Don't you dare get on that Fat Boat with those old people.
Driving is the only way to get the most bang for your buck in Alaska aka The Land That Time Forgot. I lived in Anchorage for two years. Allow me to be your tour guide on this one.
Day 1
First you will fly into Anchorage. In flight while looking down on the endless wasteland you may wonder *** am I doing? It's OK you'll be fine. The first day after landing and renting your car I would recommend staying at The Lakefront Hotel. It is located on Lake Hood and is the busiest float plane lake in the world. Also one of the most polluted. The green things floating in the lake and wonderful aroma of aviation fuel make the rule of NO SWIMMING easy to follow. The green algae blobs look like a fetal Swamp Thing. We lived on Constellation Ave. which is two blocks from The lakefront. Then you can decide how to spend your first day in Anchorage, home of the 17.00 hamburger. I would reccomend renting a bike, if you have a spare 75.00 per day rental fee, and doing the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail that goes from downtown Skankorage to Kincaid Park. Home to some of the finest mtn bike trails I have ever rode. And also home to some of the meanest moose I've ever had the displeasure to be near. They are some of the dumbest creatures on the planet. Making Trump supporters seem like Einstein. Your first night I would say try the best pizza on the planet at Bear Tooth. The best I've ever had. Then you must stop at Coots for an adult beverage to see the real Alaskans.
Day 2
Get up and head to Kriners Diner for the 18.00 breakfast and see how I gained 25 pounds in two years. Then head south down Highway 1 to
Homer. You cant get lost in Alaska as there is only Highway 1, Highway 2 and Highway 3. Simple is better. You'll be going down the Kenai and the scenery is stunning. Stop in Soldatna at the Moose Is Loose bakery for a delicious cherry macaroon. When you get to Homer, home of the worlds biggest fish hook, you'll probably be staying on the spit at Lands End. Paying 200.00 for a room you can barely squeeze a double bed into. Dinner should be at Alics Champagne Restaurant. for another 17.00 hamburger.
Day 3
Heading north up Highway 1 back to Skankorage you will probably cruise by there and head north to Wasilla and stay there. The view is stunning. You could stay in Willow, home of the start of the Iditarod, but really except for the Iditarod there is no reason for Willow to exist.
Day 4
Continueing north to Fairbanks there are several possible stops. Telkeetna is a tourist trap worth avoiding. Denali Park is worth a stop but they never tell you due to bad weather the odds are only 25% you will see Denali. The views are amazing along the way. Which is good because once you get to Fairbanks you'll ask yourself, *** am I doing in this dump? Eat at Silver Gulch Brewing AND Bottling Company.
Day5
Getting up you will hurriedly head out of Fairbanks. Hopefully unmolested and in one piece. I forgot to mention the price of gas. We bought gas at Cantwell for 4.45 a gallon. Be prepared. You will now head down Highway 2 heading east to Tok and then Glenallen. At that point I would reccomend a side trip to Valdez for the night.
Day 6
Heading back to Anchorage I would stop in Palmer to the Ale House for another expensive meal and good beer.

That is a quick synopsis with many many things left out.
have fun. Bring yer wallet.
Do NOT give the bums money!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1972 kenai.jpg (21.8 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-24-2019, 09:05 AM
Administrator

I've traveled pretty extensively in AK now. Most of the above advice is good. it's an amazingly diverse and interesting state. You won't be able to see it all in one trip, so pick some destinations that really interest you and go for it.

if you get the chance to take some of the small planes they fly out there, go for it. great way to see the terrain and access some very much inaccessible areas. they keep old 60's vintage bush planes running out there forever and the pilots are usually top notch aviators who have stories to tell.

the other tip i was given when i first started travelling in AK: Remember there are only two seasons in AK: Winter and Road Construction.

have fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plane.jpg (58.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-24-2019, 09:23 AM

Smile

Fly to Anchorage and rent a motor home. Alaska has turnouts all over the state and you can pull into them and spend the evening if you find one where the scenery strikes your fancy. The place we rented ours will provide a small grill and chairs as well. They come fully stocked with linens,dishes,etc. They have you watch a video and explain and answer questions before they set you free. Stop in Anchorage and buy supplies and go enjoy some of the most beautiful and interesting things you might ever see or do. Do some research before you leave and plan a few things beforehand but don’t carve your plans in stone. There’s so much to see and do your plans may change. Ours did from time to time.My wife to this day will say it’s the best vacation we’ve ever been on. I agree and we’ve been on some good ones. Of course this advice hinges on the time of year. Summer is busy and I’d avoid that time. We went in September and a lot of nights we were the only ones in the turnout. I’d do it again in a heartbeat if there wasn’t so many other things we want to see.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:23 AM

It's a special place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpo7KuwnAM.jpg (75.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg phpMNI8KYAM.jpg (77.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg phpTp5VdyAM.jpg (75.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg phpodoqsmAM.jpg (58.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-24-2019, 02:16 PM

IN 2000 I joined my sister's family for a packaged AK tour arranged by Harvard (sister is a B school alum) and I know other colleges offer similar trips. We went by bus to Denali and some fascinating sights along the way. Then we boarded a small cruise ship - I'm going to guess there were 60 guests plus crew - and cruised the coast and islands - I think we started and ended in Juneau, memory is fuzzy :-(

The ship had a great naturalist, and a very cool rear deck that could be lowered to the water. It carried a bunch of tandem kayaks, and every day we paddled out to see a different place, its wildlife, and something of the history. The ship was small enough that it could penetrate way up the fjords - at one point we followed 4 orcas for a couple of hours, until they found dinner (seals).

It was a great trip (food was good too!) and way different from what you think of when you think "cruise ship".

BTW - my wife lived in AK for 14 years, doing primarily tribal sovereignty law (another life ago). She wrote a book on the backcountry of the adjacent US/Canadian wilderness areas Wrangell/St. Elias and Kluane National Park. Really in the back beyond!

Last edited by NHAero; 11-24-2019 at 02:42 PM.