Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2019, 10:10 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
are the hoods cover floppy? I had sram hydraulic and just from bleeding the hoods were all floppy... I know other people had the problem too, is this the same with GRX?

And you mention they are smaller than sram? they look shorter than sram but they look fatter, also reach seems pretty long?
not flappy, not as wide as Sram, they are long but I don't think longer than the Sram; reach feels the same and I didn't change any other parameters.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:14 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
Shimano rates the long cage as good for up to a 42, I've heard some murmurs of the 10 not being the smoothest running gear with the GRX.

I think I'd go the opposite and try to run a 46 in the rear. With a 40t front on the 1x setup there just isn't enough range out back. If you ride steep gravel, and it pains me to say this as a diehard Shimano rider, you should get SRAM.
I only have an hour or two on the bike and didn't spend a lot of time on the 10 but overall everything ran smoothly. I'm using a 38 front ring on this bike, and could swap in a 36 so 42 works well for me without what was to me, sloopy and noisy shifting with the sram.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:36 AM

The local Moots shop has a Routt RSL built up with GRX. Running a 48/31 front and 11-42 cassette. They said it was perfect for the local gravel roads around Leesburg, VA. When I get the funds, this will be my next bike....
Old 11-24-2019, 10:37 AM

Hacking

Shimano also needs more cassettes and more ability to hack/modify.
Shimano needs a true 1x cassette. Like their 10-50. But 10-50 is only available for mtb. So they need a software/firmware upgrade that would allow one to use an XTR DI2 rear derailleur for 12 speed.

I want to move to a mullet build like this- But I am not a fan of SRAM. So for now it is 2x DI2 with 34-50 chainrings and 11-40 cassette. But this setup is quite good-

Quote:
I would not call it hacking axs, sram said from the get go that you could mix both the mountain and the road.

They do need some more variety of cassettes. 10-33 is too low and 10-50 is just too much. Where are the 40T and 46T cassettes? Maybe even a 36T cassette.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
This is the issue I’m having right now, whether to stick with axs and try to hack a 1x ~400% ratio with other cassettes or go with a 2x axs or even a 2x grx setup. 3t made a good primer on hacking axs here:

https://blog.3t.bike/2019/09/12028/g...s-drivetrains/

They make force and red axs rim brake shifters. But the exclusion of a viable 12 speed 10-42 is perplexing. Maybe since they “improved” front shifting by limiting the jumps to 13 teeth they assume it’s easier and/or more lucrative on their end to have buyers for with 2x if they want the gravel gearing ratio. Or they’re admitting that the jumps in a 1x setup are just too much for gravel usage without actually admitting it.

I would try the rotor setup mentioned in the 3t article but I’ve heard that their cassettes shift like garbage.

That’s an interesting theory wrt to pushing 2x for gravel.
Though a 46/33 10-33 is more of the same compact double 50/34 gravel gearing problem in that you are never in the right chainring. A middling 40ish 1x often feels right with a wide cassette. SRAM would further popularize 1x kits by narrowing steps on 10-42 or even 10-38 than what they have done which is to add a 50 cog into the back of a 10-42. That they haven’t resolved this logical problem suggests this is instead driven by design limitations or business constraints.

Instagram
Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 AM

Gearing

Gearing depends entirely on the fitness of the rider and the specifics of the terrain that the rider encounters.
In my area, the climbs are mountain-bikey. Lots of 1-3 mile climbs that can average 10-12%.
Climbs that average 10-12% have pitches that are much steeper than that
Old 11-24-2019, 11:30 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Gearing depends entirely on the fitness of the rider and the specifics of the terrain that the rider encounters.
The stuff I normally ride is fine on a 50/34 and an 11/28.

I have a sub-compact Zayante crankset that I just bought another set of 50/34 rings for. I doubt I'll ever use the sub-compact rings. Even Hilly Billy Roubaix roads are fine (for me) on my normal rings/cogs. Fastest I ever went around the course was on an 11/28 cassette.

M
Old 11-24-2019, 03:01 PM

straight-up, bullhorns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I'd buy these. lol
Old 11-24-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I would not call it hacking axs, sram said from the get go that you could mix both the mountain and the road.

They do need some more variety of cassettes. 10-33 is too low and 10-50 is just too much. Where are the 40T and 46T cassettes? Maybe even a 36T cassette.
10-50 is amazing. If there is sustained, steep climbing where you live this is the ideal gearing with a 38t in the front IMO.

I've been lucky enough to put a good amount of miles on all manner of new gravel drivetrains this year - GRX, Rotor 13, SRAM Force Mullet. The SRAM is the best solution out of the box, but it is expensive. I see no reason not to get the 10-50 though, the range is great and if you don't need to go that low just put on a bigger front ring.

GRX is such a good value though. I'm going to see what happens running an 11-46 on the GRX bike, and maybe even swapping in a different crank with a smaller ring. If the GRX runs reliably with a 38t front and an 11-46 rear it would be my pick. The GRX hoods/brakes are phenomenal.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonaBP View Post
The local Moots shop has a Routt RSL built up with GRX. Running a 48/31 front and 11-42 cassette. They said it was perfect for the local gravel roads around Leesburg, VA. When I get the funds, this will be my next bike....
Heya, where is this shop if I may ask? I’m not going to buy it from under you - out of commission for quite a bit of time unfortunately - but always love checking out a good bike shop.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:19 AM

Plum Grove Cyclery in Leesburg... the Routt RSL in stock is a size 58.... luckily I need a 54 and won't be tempted. I recently discovered this shop during my Moots Vamoots RSL quest. Lucky for me one popped up on PL.... check it out... really nice shop...
Old 11-25-2019, 01:06 PM
Shifty Member

Glad to know that it's good stuff. Been kicking around the idea of putting the Di2 version of it on my Ti Warbird and using the water cage internal battery method for the b-junction. No internal drilling at all anyway.

https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...-battery-mount

Thing that blows my mind, though, is that they have the dropper post "shifter" only in mechanical. I know that many or most will run Di2 with the battery in the seatpost, but I bet you that there a at least more than a few that would totally run the bottle battery or the stem battery in order to have a dropper post option. But the levers have totally different shapes, which would make it totally weird.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:20 PM

So I'm looking at an RD-RX810, and I notice two things.

One, the upper (B) pivot isn't sprung. Two, the cage pivot is concentric with the jockey wheel.

Has Shimano been doing this on new derailleurs for a while, or is this unique? It's very 1970s SunTour.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
So true.

Instagram
Old 11-25-2019, 02:09 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonaBP View Post
Is this the 810 GRX RD? How does it handle the big-big combo (48 front ring / 42 rear cog)? I have an RX800 RD. Both RDs are rated for a max 34T cog. I'm running an 11-40 and I'm not noticing any negative shifting. I've even got some room on the b-screw, so maybe it'll handle a 42t. However, I think the big/big would be a problem. I can go big/big (48/40) with my RX800, but that's really pushing it. I think the RD would get ripped off if I went with a 42 cog and accidentally shifted into the big/big.