Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2019, 08:21 AM

Limburger is my favorite. And yes I’m serious. My wife won’t eat it. She won’t eat pickled herring either. Poor lady doesn’t know what she is missing out on.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
"Fetch me a bucket."
Old 11-24-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I'm not a total convert, but I have dabbled in the stinky cheese world.

For a time, my go-to pasta sauce was a Gorgonzola and walnut cream sauce, and in fact I made this for my now-wife for one of the first dinners I cooked for her and blue ( ) her socks off...

When we lived overseas, it was easier (and a lot cheaper) to try things out--I can remember some of the experiments stinking out the fridge but it was fun to try stuff. Often the pairings of cheese and wine/port/sherry can be amazing..

One comment--the American produced versions of European cheeses are often pretty bad--some of the hatred for 'blue' (moldy) cheeses comes from having tasted the ersatz versions. This list looks interesting--American 'blues':
https://www.finecooking.com/article/...n-blue-cheeses

The best story I read was a New Yorker piece--where the writer was served cheese so stinky for a New Year's dinner (in Norway?) that he could barely stay in the same room with it. He then goes on an odyssey of tasting over the next year, and ends up back with the same family on next New Years--and out comes the stinky cheese.

"Well, at least it's not as stinky as the cheese from last year,' he says.

His host says: 'It is the cheese from last year!'
I had the Point Reyes Blue after a ride once. It had a real earthy kick to it.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:28 AM
Vendor

No conversation is complete... or even started without including these three of the highest 'rank' (ed) cheeses in the world.

Gamoneu:

Cabrales:

Torta del Casar: (which to the eyes is the most unassuming, but to the nose is another matter)

Last edited by rain dogs; 11-25-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
No conversation is complete... or even started without including these three of the highest 'rank' (ed) cheeses in the world.

Gamoneau:

Cabrales:

Torta del Casar: (which to the eyes is the most unassuming, but to the nose is another matter)
[IMG]https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.quequesos.es%2Fwp-
content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F03%2Ftorta-del-casar.jpg&f=1&nofb=1[/IMG]
Grail cheeses! Lucky you. I'm embarrassed to admit I've never tried the Gamoneau.

Vermont, in addition to having some great climbs and killer IPAs has some really good cheeses. The Von Trapp Family (aka "Sound of Music") makes the OMA which is really buttery and earthy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OmaPortrait.jpg (26.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 11-25-2019, 09:03 AM

I have 4-5 issues of cheese connoisseur magazine at the house if anyone wants to give them a read. The cat chewed the back cover of one of them though.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I have 4-5 issues of cheese connoisseur magazine at the house if anyone wants to give them a read. The cat chewed the back cover of one of them though.
I do!
Old 11-25-2019, 09:30 AM

This thread is not complete without someone mentioning Époisses de Bourgogne. Apparently we cannot get the really stinky ones, which are unpasteurized. Also agree with checking out the markets in Montreal for the locally made products.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:54 AM
I need you cool.

One of my most vivid memories of going to France for the first time was walking into a cheese shop (Fromagerie) in Beaune....no refrigeration in sight, pungent smell, and lumps of moldy cheese on the shelves.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:01 PM

What's the Sardinian one with maggots?
I'll try most anything, but I'd pass on that.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:30 PM

for the holidays and according to your oozey goozey original post. i would def reccomend Cambezola (brie&bleu mix), Saint Andre, and Humboldt Fog. All get better the longer they sit out at room temp.

I ride by all the creameries here in Marin that a lot have already mentioned. Its nice to know that the local cheeses are held in such high regard!