Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 09:23 PM

I should do yoga

I was just thinking today about the things I can't do as well physically and the slope that I'm on. As someone who served a full career on active duty, whose father served in the Korean War, with family members killed in WWI and WWII, I think it ridiculous to take offense at a comment not directed at anyone specifically, and not really written with any specific intent to denigrate some larger group. I'm against using free speech to attack folks, yet have to accept I did more than my share to support and defend the right, and that people will sadly abuse it. I personally, obviously don't see such abuse in the post. Still, there is a such a short fuse today for indignation today. Maybe my reading comprehension has waned along with as my VO2 max with age, but I read that comment in what I deem a reflective post on life as the OP's admission of what would likely have happened to HIM had he been in Vietnam Conflict--use and succumb to drugs because he knows himself, his views at that age, and thus how he likely would have behaved at that age in that setting. Wish I could ride as I used to... trying to be content with still getting out on the trails. I appreciate the post as it gives me hope for still enjoying the rides in 20 years...Safe rides, long life, and peace to all.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:44 PM

I enjoyed all the comments. I do worry about how lonely my bike will be when I am dead. No one treasures and loves my bike like I do.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:52 PM

Thank you for this post Velotel. I thoroughly enjoy them all!

I really hope I get the chance to ride with you in this life.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I don’t really appreciate the “drugged out soldier flopping around in a rice field “ comment. My father wasn’t so lucky, but he served with pride vs. those with “sudden medical problems” that dodged the draft. My dad lived his life with a pancreas damaged from chemicals in Vietnam- and it was terrible-i can’t believe in today’s day anybody would say that-
Actually it was the army doctor who found the problem during the last medical before being sent into the army, a total surprise to me, and one joyously received I should add. This was in 67 as I recall and there was no way in hell I wanted to get sent to Vietnam, an amazingly stupid and pointless war waged by total incompetents in the government with Nixon and Kissinger leading the pack.
At any rate I can't understand at all how you could take offense to what I wrote because the fact of the matter was that a huge number of american soldiers in Vietnam were in fact doing lots of drugs, and dying there. Maybe if I'd been sent I would have been a hero, or maybe just another cog in the machine, or maybe another drugged out soldier, damned if I know which it would have been.
Believe me, back then getting drafted and sent to Vietnam was not sought out by the majority of american kids. In fact Vietnam is why the draft was ended. Unfortunately I should add because if there was still a draft, I doubt the american people would have continued supporting sending troops to Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. Too many body bags coming back for what?
Old 11-23-2019, 05:11 AM

Loved reading this post.

Years ago while swimming laps I met this local dude (I'm in Melbourne, Oz) called Neil Gilbert. He's in his mid 70's now, and has done 45 ironman:

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...-times/9494474

Reckon he'd disagree with you on the training part, but agree on most everything else.

I'm 38, and of course I have my riding buddies my age. But quite often I ride solo and at least a few times a month I see Neil out on the bike and I slow down and we chat for a while... he speaks like you write.

PS: I totally agree about the pre-ride bowl. Just a little one.

All the best to you sir!
Old 11-23-2019, 06:00 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
. None of which happens with a physique abused and ignored.
Even though velo pal titled his thread "genes, luck", he repeated the theme above several times throughout his post either at the beginning of a paragraph or the ending.

We born, we live, we die.

We have no control over the first and the last, but everything else in between, we have some degree of control. Some more so than others, depending on their life circumstances and their personalities and makeup.

There's where "genes and luck" comes in.

The multiply of talents..

In the end, what's left is gratitude and service.

The "bowl" is optional.

Last edited by weisan; 11-23-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:50 AM

I'm probably reading too much into it, but I take issue with the notion that intelligence can be a "threat" to anything, or that it can be "overused"- especially in a culture that increasingly disrespects, devalues, and dismisses expertise, scholarship, and science.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I don’t really appreciate the “drugged out soldier flopping around in a rice field “ comment. My father wasn’t so lucky, but he served with pride vs. those with “sudden medical problems” that dodged the draft. My dad lived his life with a pancreas damaged from chemicals in Vietnam- and it was terrible-i can’t believe in today’s day anybody would say that-
Agree, I think he could have gotten his point across without that comment..kinda a punch in the gut for those who served and serve, honorably.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotel View Post
Actually it was the army doctor who found the problem during the last medical before being sent into the army, a total surprise to me, and one joyously received I should add. This was in 67 as I recall and there was no way in hell I wanted to get sent to Vietnam, an amazingly stupid and pointless war waged by total incompetents in the government with Nixon and Kissinger leading the pack.
At any rate I can't understand at all how you could take offense to what I wrote because the fact of the matter was that a huge number of american soldiers in Vietnam were in fact doing lots of drugs, and dying there. Maybe if I'd been sent I would have been a hero, or maybe just another cog in the machine, or maybe another drugged out soldier, damned if I know which it would have been.
Believe me, back then getting drafted and sent to Vietnam was not sought out by the majority of american kids. In fact Vietnam is why the draft was ended. Unfortunately I should add because if there was still a draft, I doubt the american people would have continued supporting sending troops to Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. Too many body bags coming back for what?
If you must single out a president for blame, and there are plenty to blame, Blame LBJ( or even Eisenhower and Kennedy). Nixon and Kissinger actually ended this war...for good or ill.

BUT, considering the political, world map at the time(post Korea), the rise of world influence by the USSR and China(Eastern Europe, Asia), the people in the big chair, with the same circumstances, would have made the same decisions. History has shown that it was the wrong one for the wrong reasons, with the American Soldier as the victim. NOT uncommon, 'Foreign policy by other means', as written by Clausewitz(paraphrased, "On War").
Quote:
However, the domino theory was popularized by President Dwight D. Eisenhower when he applied it to Southeast Asia, especially South Vietnam.
There WERE a lot of drugs in VietNam, but the overall 'scene' has been glorified, exaggerated, intensified by the media, movies, TV....MOST young men who went..........

DON'T want this to become a VietNam discussion but there are a lot of myths about that war.
Quote:
Myth: Common belief is that most Vietnam veterans were drafted.
Fact: 2/3 of the men who served in Vietnam were volunteers. 2/3 of the men who served in World War II were drafted. Approximately 70% of those killed in Vietnam were volunteers.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-23-2019 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
If you must single out a president for blame, and there are plenty to blame, Blame LBJ( or even Eisenhower and Kennedy).

BUT, considering the political, world map at the time(post Korea), the rise of world influence by the USSR and China(Eastern Europe, Asia), the people in the big chair, with the same circumstances, would have made the same decisions. History has shown that it was the wrong one for the wrong reasons, with the American Soldier as the victim. NOT uncommon, 'Foreign policy by other means', as written by Clausewitz(paraphrased, "On War").

There WERE a lot of drugs in VietNam, but the overall 'scene' has been glorified, exaggerated, intensified by the media, movies, TV....MOST young men who went..........

DON'T want this to become a VietNam discussion but there are a lot of myths about that war.
Well said Pete
Old 11-23-2019, 07:52 AM

I usually enjoy Velotel's posts. He lives a different life than most of us. Makes interesting reading.

I'm not a military man, don't have experience there. But I do know.....one of our policies is to fight wars on others countries soil. And not on our soil. Fewer body bags that way....they say.

I say to Velotel "keep the interesting stories coming".
Old 11-23-2019, 10:35 AM

When I'm dead, I expect I will be 'enjoying' fertilizing the trees, and then again, and again, through infinite cycles (of a different nature...).
Old 11-23-2019, 11:00 AM
Riding Along

Well said Hank. You get it. Your take on riding is exactly what I get out of riding and my other outdoor passions. So well said.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:27 AM

maybe start smoking pot again? hell, I don't know...it's called getting old right?
Old 11-23-2019, 11:47 AM

Apparently it didn’t bother him that another American had to go potentially die in his place.