Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 08:21 AM

Cote D'Azur

Trying to research a trip of cycling. Anyone have good experience with a local operator. Looking to arrange a hotel/stay have assistance putting together a ride plan and a guide. Not really looking to do group rides/ pace line with guys that ride at a different pace etc than I

I contacted one opertor and he's pushing an apartment he owns over a hotel. I'm not comfortable with this option. Would prefer at least a three star hotel
Old 11-21-2019, 08:36 AM

I've never done a trip with a tour or the hotel requirements you outline. That said, if you're looking at the Nice area for a trip, cafe du cycliste is pretty high end, organizes rides, and might be a resource. They're in a pretty spot, too.

https://www.cafeducycliste.com/en_us...te/nice-store/
Old 11-21-2019, 09:18 AM

Yeah, Café du Cyclist is in Nice, not far from here. Great riding and great folks. I'm not an official tour operator, but I've put together long riding plans for people around this area and would be happy to help you out. Especially if you're looking for B-roads and gravel, I've got good routes from the Spanish border to the Italian border (and have done it all in one shot) all along the coast, including the big "legendary" climbs like Ventoux, Bonnette, and the southern Alps.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColnagoC59 View Post
Trying to research a trip of cycling. Anyone have good experience with a local operator. Looking to arrange a hotel/stay have assistance putting together a ride plan and a guide. Not really looking to do group rides/ pace line with guys that ride at a different pace etc than I

I contacted one opertor and he's pushing an apartment he owns over a hotel. I'm not comfortable with this option. Would prefer at least a three star hotel
Didn't ride while we were there, but this is one of my favorite places on earth--best enjoyed before it gets too hot.

It is hilly (hillier than I expected) but I think you should have a blast

Last edited by paredown; 11-25-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:23 AM

I just came back a few weeks ago from a 7 day riding trip around Nice. A buddy and I stayed in an Airbnb in Old Town and rode. We pretty much used this guide for everything:

https://www.epicroadrides.com/destin...ce-cote-dazur/

Navigating and riding around Nice is really well documented and very easy to do with tons of gps routes available. Getting a bike delivered and picked up was also incredibly easy with just a phone call.

We called to a few of the hotels on the guide and all were fine with having a bike. I am sure with how many people ride around the area, it is a fairly common request. In the end we found an apartment met our needs better.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:49 AM

did a trip there in 2016, spent some time on the Italian side near San Remo, then 4 days in Nice. Tons of options, and once you get out of the city, some amazing riding. I used this site as a reference for rides/climbs. http://azurcycletours.com/cycling/the-climbs/
Old 11-21-2019, 01:55 PM

I traveled to the region with 3 of my buddies a few years back. We rented an Airbnb in Nice that was a few blocks from the beach. We stayed there 7 days and enjoyed 5 days of fantastic riding straight from the city to the cols.

I'm a fan of Cafe du Cycliste but we did not join any of the group rides that depart from their store location in town. That way we could set our own pace and stop whenever we wanted to enjoy views and such.

PM me if you are interested in the routes we took. All routes involved a fair bit of climbing and one involved just a bit of gravel.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:10 AM

base city for trip

anyone opine on whether its better to base out of saint laurent or beauleu? the first is 3 km west of nice the other 5+ km east of it