Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
The rapha bikes are not entry level bikes. Not sure how much it is now but I think it was like $20/day before, for a pretty nice bike which normally would be close to $100 a day I would say (at least in big cities like LA and NY)

Agree - in London and Boulder the rental bikes were nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2019, 01:29 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Every bike i've rented from Rapha has been a Canyon Ultimate SLX w/ Di2 or Dura Ace mechanical with Zipp carbon hoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc21 View Post
i really want their shoes. this year while in Mallorca i kept on asking the guy if i can borrow his membership just to buy it lol.
The perks isnt that great honestly unless you wanna 'advertise' for them in your RCC gear. The bikes rentals might been 'cheap' before but the bike quality ain't that good. They give you entry level bikes for a rental fee, and most of the places in Mallorca charged the same or a little more you get the top tier bikes from different bike brands.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:26 AM

I almost joined a few years ago, figured two or three rentals would make it worth it, any more and I’d be ahead.

But in SF and NYC I could never get a bike, even in a standard size with 7 days notice or more.

They did a group ride in BOS that I was invited to join, then there was virtually no activity afaik after the popup. Maybe I dropped off the list.

I visit SF 7-8 times a year and pretty much ride past the shop when heading over to Marin, but I don’t really have a reason to stop and go in.

As others have said, if you’re not local to a clubhouse, the proposition isn’t clear.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:25 PM

I never joined the RCC when I lived in NYC, even though I spent a decent amount of time at the club attending events or having post-ride beers with buddies. The camaraderie was there, but I never joined group rides or felt like membership was a necessity.

I moved to Seattle last year and joined. The 'community' aspect is much, much stronger here. There are a lot of group rides organized through the app, and they arrange a number of longer, more challenging rides throughout the year that you can join. When I first joined, they had someone on staff who led weekly group rides, as well. It really helped me explore new routes and meet other riders in the area.

However, I let it lapse this summer. Work and family have cut into my riding time, and I wasn't riding regularly enough. They also cut the ride leader and have started opting for a more organic volunteer system. I am planning to sign up now that they've reduced the membership cost, mostly just to be regularly looped in with other people in the area. The freebies and exclusives are nice, but not a major motivating factor for me. I'll be curios how much or little support they continue lending the model in the next couple years.