Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 10:07 AM
aka RAEKWON

road link and campy

anyone have tried a wolf tooth road link with campy?

I am going to put a 11-36 cassette in the back.

I had a subcompact with a 32T in the back, was great. 1 to 1. But now on this bike i have a compact and a 32T and would love some lower gearing. Have a mid cage potenza in the back which could probably deal fine with a 34T cassette but decided why not go one further and put a 36.

I will have 2 wheels on this bike, road wheel will still have a 32T cassette because I want to keep the gears tigher in the low end, and just will not need the big cassette. The question is, can I leave the road link on the bike? or will I have to remove it when going from a 36T cassete back down to a 32T?
Old 12-06-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
anyone have tried a wolf tooth road link with campy?

I am going to put a 11-36 cassette in the back.

I had a subcompact with a 32T in the back, was great. 1 to 1. But now on this bike i have a compact and a 32T and would love some lower gearing. Have a mid cage potenza in the back which could probably deal fine with a 34T cassette but decided why not go one further and put a 36.

I will have 2 wheels on this bike, road wheel will still have a 32T cassette because I want to keep the gears tigher in the low end, and just will not need the big cassette. The question is, can I leave the road link on the bike? or will I have to remove it when going from a 36T cassete back down to a 32T?
I think given it's Campagnolo, a company that ought to know its business when it comes to desigining derailleurs, we can be sure that the derailleur in question has been optimized for its current location and sprocket size.

Road link isn't magic; it's basically a drop bolt for derailleurs, to move them down to make room for a larger rear sprocket. That deviation from the optimized position has got to have some associated cost in terms of sub-optimal performance. The cost may be small and the benefit of the larger sprocket may be great enough to make it all worthwhile -- we pretty much have to assume Wolf Tooth knows its business too -- but incurring the cost of moving the derailleur to a sub-optimal position without any corresponding benefit (i.e., using the smaller large sprocket without moving the derailleur back to the position chosen to be optimum for that sprocket) doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:37 PM

Yes it works.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:26 PM

Very nice ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
Yes it works.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:56 PM
hoolered

Not sure if this is super relevant, but here's my long cage 10 speed record, road link, 11-40t sunrace cassette. This particular set up actually shifted OK.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:01 AM

Yes, but it fails to address the OP's question. It's not surprising it works OK -- Wolf Tooth does seem to know its business, after all -- but the question is, if you removed that wheel and substituted one with the original 11-32 cassette, how would it shift then?
Old 12-07-2018, 09:15 AM
aka RAEKWON

thank you. Good to know it works but would love to know how well does it work?

Specially Lionels setup since its closer to what my setup will be. 11 speed campy. What size cassette is on there?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Specially Lionels setup since its closer to what my setup will be. 11 speed campy. What size cassette is on there?
11spd is best because of closeness of pull ratios. What palincss is saying about "optimization" shouldn't discourage you. You can still set b-tension with a roadlink to have the pulleys in their optimal position. Depending on the size of your chainrings up front, I wouldn't be surprised if a campy med cage 11 cleared an 11-36 without a roadlink.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:

SRAM 11-36. It works well. Not as crisp as without it and a proper campy cassette but good enough to not worry about it at all.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassoBry View Post
11spd is best because of closeness of pull ratios. What palincss is saying about "optimization" shouldn't discourage you. You can still set b-tension with a roadlink to have the pulleys in their optimal position. Depending on the size of your chainrings up front, I wouldn't be surprised if a campy med cage 11 cleared an 11-36 without a roadlink.
it does clear and work fine with 11-36. there is a thread on weight weenies about it but for piece of mind I will use the road link, they are cheap so might as well. I am fine if the shifting is 95% great instead of 100 and the ratio will help me out on a few crazy rides I want to do next year. The 34-32 is not going to cut it, I want at least 1-1 (I would put a 34T cassette on campy without a road link and not be worried about that one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
SRAM 11-36. It works well. Not as crisp as without it and a proper campy cassette but good enough to not worry about it at all.
thank you. same cassette I bought I bet, the 1170. Good to know it works good enough. Will set it up in the next few weeks.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
thank you. same cassette I bought I bet, the 1170. Good to know it works good enough. Will set it up in the next few weeks.
please come back and let us know how it goes! i can always use a lower gear ratio.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:18 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
please come back and let us know how it goes! i can always use a lower gear ratio.
All parts have been purchased so maybe I will get it working during xmas break and report back
Old 12-08-2018, 04:55 PM

As long as it gets from gear to gear and stays aligned when in that gear, I don't care how slowly it shifts...it's not like these are crit-racing setups, or being shifted under a 500W load in a rotating paceline...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 07:27 PM

I tried to put one on today with a Campy Chorus 11 RD. I couldn't get the shifting dialed in to my liking, so I took it off after trying for about 30 min. I was surprised because I have had it work like a champ on an Ultegra 6800 RD before.

Last edited by fa63; 12-08-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:49 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I tried to put one on today with a Campy Chorus 11 RD. I couldn't get the shifting dialed in to my liking, so I took it off after trying for about 30 min. I was surprised because I have had it work like a champ on an Ultegra 6800 RD before.
was it a mid cage campy?

just saw this youtube video, I might not even need the road link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpjr7gX1vFc

I also am probably going to go 46-34 on the crank but that guy has a compact and says its working perfectly.