Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
This is the best article I've read thus far. You should read it and for sure check the picture they have where they saw what Wilson saw - every QB would have thrown it. Butler was just that good.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...tom_brady.html

Botton line. TB did great on coming back. BB was a genius for not calling a timeout on 2nd and 1. Butler knew the play, saw it and out played the receiver.
This quote from the tweet in that article is what gets missed:

Quote:
Marshawn Lynch ran the ball from the 1 yard line 5 times this season. 1 TD, 2 runs for no gain, 2 runs for a loss.
Would he have gotten in? Maybe, but it's not like it's a sure thing.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:08 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1centaur View Post
Butler had been beaten on that play in practice and remembered what he needed to do to not be beaten. That's the kind of football brain a certain coach should really appreciate.
I heard the interview on the radio where he explained that. The scout team (who presumably were mimicking what Seattle tends to do) beat him on the same play.

It occurred to me that scout teams also have to be pretty good to help the "prime time" team, because I assume that each week, depending on who the team is playing on Sunday, they have to learn and then act out a new scheme. The constant flipping back an forth between systems can't be a simple job. And they probably get a small fraction of what the actual players get. Do they also get SB rings? Hopefully so.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:13 PM

Thanks for sharing with a Seahawks fan who isn't ready to get the nails and cross out for Pete.

Quote:
This is the best article I've read thus far. You should read it and for sure check the picture they have where they saw what Wilson saw - every QB would have thrown it. Butler was just that good.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...tom_brady.html

Botton line. TB did great on coming back. BB was a genius for not calling a timeout on 2nd and 1. Butler knew the play, saw it and out played the receiver.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

It is exactly the kind of football mind/player that Bill B likes to have fill the Patriots roster

They always use the term "situational awareness" in Patriot Speak and this exemplifies it

Now if the league would settle the football BS we can start talking about Spring Training in about 2 weeks

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

There was some discussion up-thread about who's the right guy to replay Brady in a few years.

I see that Johnny Football has just entered a "treatment program" to clean up. Once he's out I think he'd be the perfect candidate - I can just see him standing on the sideline next to Belichick. They'd make a fine pair.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

It's either going to be Garapolo or the next backup after him

I don't see them going with a free agent

Brady has been really salary cap friendly/flexible over the years and they won't break the bank for the next QB

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:26 PM
not banished

Quote:
Butler had been beaten on that play in practice and remembered what he needed to do to not be beaten. That's the kind of football brain a certain coach should really appreciate.
Yea, there are so many learnings from this

1. You can't "give away" a game when you're not winning
2. By not taking a time out BB had kept the pass line in - anyone who looks at this rationally knows that Seattle is gonna do at least one pass play just to help manage the clock - given the line, that was the time to do the pass.
3. If you look at the picture, every QB would have thrown that.
4. Butler out played the receiver. Period.

Bulter like, Dave Roberts of the Sox, should never, ever, ever have to buy a drink in Boston again. The team won it, but those 2 single handidly allowed the team to win it.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:34 PM
not banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmsj21 View Post
Thanks for sharing with a Seahawks fan who isn't ready to get the nails and cross out for Pete.
I'm not a Caroll fan, but it's not cause of his plays - he takes a lot of risks and I actually like that. I don't like him cause he lets the inmates rule the team - and that's not gonna work long-term.

The guy got a TD right at the end of the 2nd quarter on 4th down (at a time when they really needed a field goal and were well, well within range). You can't both celebrate that and his call on 2nd and 1. Look at it rationally and it was a perfectly acceptable play call.

Us patriots fans know all too well how one play ruins the championship - and we went through it twice with one team. So, I can empathize, but there was never any talk of firing BB after losing, twice, to the Giants (the Giants for cripes sake).
Old 02-02-2015, 06:48 PM
needs adult supervision

One other reason why I think BB didn't call a timeout:

Seattle had already burned two TOs by not being as disciplined or aware as they could have been. They're a young team with a young QB. One consistent knock on Carroll as a coach is that his teams lack a certain discipline.

As the clock ran down and the game was on the line, I think BB made a bet that his team was more aware, disciplined, practiced and coached up, as Butler proved, than the Seahawks. He bet under that pressure, without time to truly collect your wits, his players would react better. He pretty much went all in by letting the clock run down. I think Carroll expected BB to call a TO thus giving the Seahawks a chance to regroup. BB didn't.

And Butler made an all time play.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:51 PM
not banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
He pretty much went all in by letting the clock run down. I think Carroll expected BB to call a TO thus giving the Seahawks a chance to regroup. BB didn't.

And Butler made an all time play.
Agreed. I think too if you look at the game without bias - BB believed in his defense more than Caroll believed in his offense.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:57 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
I think too if you look at the game without bias - BB believed in his defense more than Caroll believed in his offense.
PC believed in his offense - his choices at the end of both halves indicate that.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
Unconventional ... for corporate America.
One guy in corporate attire going back to the office at end of day in a non-descript import sedan, while other guy in "office casual" is finished with work and drives away in an off-road version of "Eco-friendly" truck. Could have the girl too if he wanted...

Which do you want to be? ... ah marketing ...
This is exactly the confusion I was having. First, I don't know if it is the morning or the night time, and I don't know if it is a work building or a residence.

So, could be that cool truck guy just pulled an all nighter and is leaving as the rest of the office gets to work, or that he is headed out on the town for the night while everyone else is getting home and about to turn on the boob tube, or he is blowing off work as everyone returns from lunch.

I'd like to know this mythical home/office where parking spots right in front are so plentiful.

With the other commercial, in which women say the truck guy is sexier, I at least know they're pandering and they're transparent about it... They're shallow and juvenile, but they are not hiding it. The cool guy commercial, well... maybe the truck comes with an explanation of that commercial in the glove box.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I'm not a Caroll fan, but it's not cause of his plays - he takes a lot of risks and I actually like that. I don't like him cause he lets the inmates rule the team - and that's not gonna work long-term.

The guy got a TD right at the end of the 2nd quarter on 4th down (at a time when they really needed a field goal and were well, well within range). You can't both celebrate that and his call on 2nd and 1. Look at it rationally and it was a perfectly acceptable play call.

Us patriots fans know all too well how one play ruins the championship - and we went through it twice with one team. So, I can empathize, but there was never any talk of firing BB after losing, twice, to the Giants (the Giants for cripes sake).
Inmates! What in the hell you talking about? Seahawks are one of the youngest teams in the League, well coached, and have been disciplined. Let some air out of your balls and realise how lucky you were. 1/4 of the starting LOB were out, Lane went out after interception (arm), Cliff Avril defensive end went out with (concussion) which hurt our rush in the 4th...We had Brady rattled before that. BTW, I think Edelman should have been your MVP...Brady had 2 interceptions and yes threw 50 times for 328 yards but you had only 57 yards rushing. Wilson had a better passing rating than Brady, Seahawks had more total yards. Legend of Boom were only at 3/4's, so consider Lucky!
Good Game though!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

If the pass had been a foot to the right we would not be having this conversation. Wilson led his receiver in a situation where he should have not really done so (or the receiver was a step slower than he should have been). It was not a terrible call, it was a less than perfect execution and an exceptionally aware defensive play.

As for Brady getting the MVP, thus has it ever been. The QB gets the MVP way more than he should, just like Kobe got the MVP in the All Star game way more than he should have. That's the showbiz of it.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
As for Brady getting the MVP, thus has it ever been. The QB gets the MVP way more than he should
No comment...