Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2023, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Cycling Accident: Update

Last Saturday (12/9), Keith was in a pretty serious cycling accident. He was on his normal Saturday morning ride that he’s been doing for decades. He was going about 30 mph when he struck what we believe was another cyclist’s fallen water bottle, and he went over the handlebars. He landed face first on the pavement and was knocked unconscious. He was taken by helicopter to a local hospital and put on a ventilator, in the ICU, for two days. Three days later, he was moved out of the ICU and into a room in the PCU. He’s continuing to look better each day, but he’s got long recovery ahead of him. Once he’s discharged from the hospital he will likely be at inpatient brain rehab facility to continue the recovery process.

We (his family) wanted to make a post because earlier today he started asking about his cycling forum.

-The Arbuckle family.

Update:

Keith is continuing to heal each day. This week he’s gotten out of bed and walked from his bed to his hospital room door using the walker. He was also finally able to get a shower for the first time in over a week. We were also able to have a nurse bring him down to the hospital lobby so his two infant grandsons could see him for a couple of minutes. Additionally, we learned earlier this week that Keith has pretty severe vision issues stemming from the crash. Apparently there are two issues with the vision, one is related to the brain injury and the other is related to injury to the eye itself. The most severe of the vision issues are in his right eye where he can basically only see movement. The ophthalmologist who treated Keith said that it could take up to six months for the issues with his vision to hopefully heal.

We also have a definitive date when he will begin in-patient rehab, which is great news because Keith is ready to get out of the hospital (today is day 11). Tomorrow, Thursday, Keith will be transported to an in-patient rehab facility a couple hours north of here. He will remain there for the next several weeks in order to heal, rehab, and rest. His wife will accompany him and stay in family housing unit there to be with him every step of the way. After that, I’m sure there will be some out patient rehab.

I know that the go fund me link for Keith has been posted in both threads. I just wanted to note that the go fund me is legitimate. Burt Gordon is a very close family friend, neighbor, and member of their church. He asked their youngest daughter if he could do that for Keith and his wife before he made it. By no means should anybody take this as asking for any donations, but we merely wanted to reassure any who may have donated that it is in fact legit.

More importantly, Keith has been moved beyond words by the outpouring of kind words from everybody through all of this. Just earlier today he was asking his wife today about the forum and he was astonished by all of the kind words of encouragement from everybody here. It has been so kind for him to hear how many people care about him and his recovery.

-The Arbuckle Family

Last edited by Keith A; 12-20-2023 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Last Saturday (12/9), Keith was in a pretty serious cycling accident. He was on his normal Saturday morning ride that he’s been doing for decades. He was going about 30 mph when he struck what we believe was another cyclist’s fallen water bottle, and he went over the handlebars. He landed face first on the pavement and was knocked unconscious. He was taken by helicopter to a local hospital and put on a ventilator, in the ICU, for two days. Three days later, he was moved out of the ICU and into a room in the PCU. He’s continuing to look better each day, but he’s got long recovery ahead of him. Once he’s discharged from the hospital he will likely be at inpatient brain rehab facility to continue the recovery process.

We wanted to make a post because earlier today he started asking about his cycling forum.
I’m sorry to hear this. Please wish Keith well and let him know we are thinking about him.

-Doug
Old 12-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Oof, I noticed we hadnt heard from Keith in a while. This is terrible news, and whoever is posting, thanks for sharing that info.

Hoping for the speediest of recoveries!
Old 12-18-2023, 07:11 PM

Not something we ever want to hear, but thanks for posting on his behalf.

Wishing continued good progress during recovery.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:11 PM
n - 1

Oh no! This is on top of his other recent accident! Prayers to him and his family. Wish for a speedy recovery.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:12 PM

Prayers..........
Old 12-18-2023, 07:13 PM

Get Well

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!!!
Old 12-18-2023, 07:13 PM
Riding Along

So sorry to hear this. Truly. Keith has long been the glue that holds this community together. Please send him all the best wishes and support from us here. Also to you and all your family. There is an amazing amount of expertise and experience here that may be helpful to you all. I would not hesitate to reach out if you feel you need to.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:15 PM

Heal quickly!
Old 12-18-2023, 07:19 PM

My prayers are with Keith and his family.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:24 PM
tailgunning

keith is the glue that holds these pipes together! hope he heals up fast.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:25 PM

Oh man

Here’s hoping for a full recovery and send our forum love his way. So sad to hear this but glad to hear he is on the mend…get well quickly buddy
Old 12-18-2023, 07:26 PM

Terrible news but thank you for letting us know. Things can go sideways for so many reasons out there on two wheels

We are all hopeful for a full recovery. Please wish him well.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:26 PM

Thank you for letting us know.

Keith, I hope your recovery is both complete and quick.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:27 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

All my best to Keith, and may he continue to heal.

We'll all be waiting for him to return to the forum.

Louis