Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2019, 04:56 PM
Pack fill

Battaglin Max Frankenbike

About a year ago there was a thread here about Officina Battaglin having an order cancelled and a number of their Power Plus framesets were available. I didn't get to snag one of those but it did start a process were by I did place an order for a Power Plus which I received in February. I quickly realized that this was a keeper. Then a weeks ago in the "barn finds" section of the classifieds there was a link to a Battaglin MAX bike in North Carolina. Fortunately the seller was willing to ship the bike to me. I wasn't sure if I would like the frameset so I put on bits just to make so I liked it enough to invest in a repaint, handle bar tape, proper quill stem etc. After a few rides I can safely say it is going to have the complete rebuild treatment. I absolutely love the feel of the bike. It is by no means a weight weenie machine but that is not my priority. It is just a joy to ride.
A few photos as it is today before the refurb.

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG
Old 11-24-2019, 04:58 PM

That is awesome! But what is "franken" about it? Just looks like a sweet bike to me - and will be even sweeter with the refurb
Old 11-24-2019, 05:15 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Working for PBS when they actually carried them, I ended up with a TIGed SL and a lugged SLX Battaglin.

Overlooked bikes.

I still want an EL-OS Scapin. We used to sell em in a weird green color and pearl white. No one knew what they were so no one bought em.

Nashbar up the road had 3Renshos, and a few other neat brands too. Don't think they ever sold either.

M
Old 11-24-2019, 05:21 PM
Pack fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
That is awesome! But what is "franken" about it? Just looks like a sweet bike to me - and will be even sweeter with the refurb
Thanks but it is in need of attention. First white saddle and green tape?? And I filed off the cable guides for the bottom bracket then drilled and tapped the bottom bracket to add a plastic cable guide. There are several spots where the paint was missing that I sanded down to bare metal and hit with a shot of spray primer to keep the rust away. The decals are lifting off in several places. Plus I really enjoy the whole refirb process
Old 11-24-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Working for PBS when they actually carried them, I ended up with a TIGed SL and a lugged SLX Battaglin.

Overlooked bikes.

I still want an EL-OS Scapin. We used to sell em in a weird green color and pearl white. No one knew what they were so no one bought em.

Nashbar up the road had 3Renshos, and a few other neat brands too. Don't think they ever sold either.

M
That is a very nice looking Battaglin! I would not call it a frankenbike. The frame is where it's at, no matter the build.

I love my Scapin's!

Bought a 3Rensho form Nashbar when they had a local store. They had it built up with different groups ~ 3 times? I bought it as a frameset after it had been on display for a couple years. Was told I paid less than they did. Used it for about 10 years, then sold it because it had a couple very small spots of rust and my position had changed.

I got what I paid for it, but really miss it. My position is back to where it was, so it'd fit again as well.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:17 PM

I have one of those lugged MAX Battaglins and they ride AMAZING. Stiff and smooth, especially in the larger sizes. Batta really did a great job with them too - I love the smooth brazed crown and all the panto. Really worth the time to restore.

I did a full strip and repaint:

Last edited by zzy; 11-24-2019 at 07:20 PM.