Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMond123 View Post
I insulated the garage door a few years back with this stuff. It took 4 kits for my 2 car garage door (about 16' wide). I sliced down the middle lengthwise, but not through the outside surface, bent into the door frame, then pushed flat. Used seaming tape to tape the seams. https://www.homedepot.com/p/SilveRbo...AKIT/205975329. One trick to bring the insulation to the door surface was to run the shop vac, stick it on the insulation panels, and "pull" it out to the inner surface. I cut it with an old drywall mud knife thing, I sharpened one side with a file.

My neighbor got a pre-insulated garage door when he got his replaced from some dents. It's pretty sweet, probably quite a bit better.
Every little bit helps. The insulation listed above provides an R5 insulation value. In comparison, a 2" steel insulated door from Haas will have an insulation value of R17, but will run $1400 installed for a standard 9x7 opening. That's about as good as it gets for residential garage doors. Oh, and lead times are 10 weeks right now due to pandemic supply chain issues, so order yours before your old doors fail.

Our 25 year old doors are vinyl over pressed fiberboard (or something similar) and they are indeed in the slow process of failing. The cover gets compromised and the fiberboard starts to soak up moisture, get heavy and expand.

If you're trying to keep the heat in (or out of) your garage, pay attention to the weatherstripping. Door insulation helps; good weatherstripping along the door edge sides and top will make a big difference.

There are a couple of good threads on garagejournal.com regarding garage doors and garage insulation...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 03-08-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:07 PM

I setup in the finished basement when I want to, I have a nice space to setup.

I never even bothered this winter. I was more focused on weight training, and I rode outside prior to the lots of snow arriving, then I did winter sports.

Absent a major early season cycling goal I like to cross train more than riding the trainer.

However I've setup in the garage in the past. I have a heater for the garage, it would more than do the job for riding the trainer even without insulating anything in the garage. I never found I needed much heat when riding the trainer.

The finished basement is usually too warm for the trainer for best efforts.. I usually would open the window and run a fan over me as well to try and bring the room temperature down.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:21 PM

Not in a really cold climate though I rode in the garage this morning and outside temperature was 32F. One thing that has really made morning sessions more comfortable is plugging the fan into a smart switch. I start without the fan and when I get hot, turn it on through my phone app. This has worked well.