Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Glory bound

Which Kuat rack?

CC emailed that their 20% off promotion ends today, so I need to decide which rack to buy. Between the Sherpa, NV and the NV 2.0, what am I getting for the extra money? We'll only be hauling two road bikes, so no need for an add-on. Lighter weight of the Sherpa reinforces my natural inclination to spend less. Do I give up anything else?

Edit: just checked CC's site, and the NV is gone, and only NV 2.0 for 2" receiver is available. (We've got a 1.25" hitch, so no adapter option for us.)
So I'll go with the Sherpa, unless somebody makes a compelling argument for me to either spend even less on the Transfer (a rare argument in these parts) or hold out for the 1.25" compatible NV 2.0. (REI could be an option for that, but even with their 10% rebate and no-charge shipping to their local store, I'm still paying sales tax, so basically list price.)

Last edited by torquer; 03-20-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:02 PM

I have an NV 2.0 It has been a great rack. I have driven from Mass to BC and back with two MTBs on it no problem and I even sometimes use the bike work stand.
It also works great with road bikes but if you plan on mostly using the rack to haul your road bikes I would just go with the Sherpa. I don't think you'll be disappointed
Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 PM

Does the coupon work?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM

Please check out 1up. So light, functional, and versatile. It's the last rack you'll ever buy, unless someone wants to take it from you!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM

Ditto on 1up. I had a Kuat and sold it to a fellow paceliner. 1up is so easy and well made.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:50 PM

We have the NV 2.0 and the bike extender. It's a really great rack. I also have friends with the 1UP and they are also very happy. I don't think you can go wrong with either. We bought ours through Outdoorplay.com (no affiliation - just a great site). If you call them I can almost guarantee you that they will give you at least 15% if not 20% off (they did when I called).
Old 03-20-2017, 04:01 PM

If the deal goes away....just get a 1UP. I've been buying and getting rid of bike racks for many years. Finally.....I got a 1UP. Heavy duty 2" receiver with extra. Finally totally satisfied, no need to ever get another. And it folds up nicely for a small corner of the garage. My youngest son, an avid mtn biker, as already asked my wife to put in the will he gets the 1UP.

Last edited by Ralph; 03-20-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:21 PM

another thumbs up on the 1UP
Old 03-20-2017, 04:58 PM

the only negative on 1up is I waited so long to buy one.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:45 PM

When i bought my 1up, and later my extra tray, they were clear about which things were in stock and which weren't. In both cases, I ordered in stock racks.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:17 PM

i have the sherpa and have used (borrowed the 1up)
they're both great racks. given the choice between the kuat racks, the sherpa was the clear choice for me since i have no desire for the workstand.
the 1up is fantastically well built. but honestly, there's little to no functional difference between it and a kuat

you'll be happy with the sherpa
Old 03-21-2017, 09:29 AM
Glory bound

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.
Before posting yesterday, 1Up was under consideration, but I recalled that some previous threads included negative comments about their customer service (especially compared to Kuat.)
But the replies here led me to give them a second look (literally, that erector-set design is sort of appealing, and maybe offsets the blandness of the 20 year old Lexus that will be towing it around.)
Truly a first-world problem...
So the CFO (Ms. Torquer) signed off, and 1Up it will be.
And I'll bring my customer service complaints back here if things don't work out.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:50 AM

I've talked to Mr. 1up, and he was courteous and curt. I think they are so busy that he has little time for chat, which is a good thing.
As far as customer service is concerned, it's first rate. I switched vehicles shortly after receiving the 1up and they took back the one I ordered and replaced it with one that fit better.
Had mine about 3 years now, and although there are a few things I would change, I'm a satisfied customer. You'll love the way you can move the bikes back/forth so the handlebars don't conflict with the seats.