Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2023, 06:45 PM

Sale is Sat/Sun, so I'm going to cruise by and see what's the go.
Old 09-25-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Who's going to the garage sale?

Anyone want to make a deal on a 54 rim brake for me?
What makes you think they’ll have any framesets? I’m expecting 2014 t-shirts, some mugs, maybe a 7900 Di2 groupset or three (for 10% off msrp).
Old 09-25-2023, 06:54 PM

I'm expecting the world's most beautiful adult-sized tricycle, and f I don't get it, I'm coming right here to complain that a private company isn't doing business with my expectations at the top of mind, those bastards.
Old 09-25-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
What makes you think they’ll have any framesets? I’m expecting 2014 t-shirts, some mugs, maybe a 7900 Di2 groupset or three (for 10% off msrp).
Don't forget rain boots...
Old 09-25-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
Let's play with some ballpark numbers here: 125 frames at $6k is $750k, and that's if you assume you could process all 125 in a year. Those Firefly numbers suggest roughly half that annual output, so using them as an example, that's a two year backlog. So now you're talking $375k gross annually, for a business that requires brick/mortar, material purchases, employee wages, healthcare, marketing, etc etc etc.....ownership margin starts looking really, really thin.

Lots of builders here who know the real economics, but seems there are a few models: a.) stay small (like 1-2 people) and live with that scale, b.) have some alternative backing/support to do what you love and not worry about financials, c.) or operate on an absolute razor thin edge and be one decision/event away from having to close up shop. These options likely hold for the vast majority of sole proprietorships, but are further exacerbated by the product being truly niche.

Hope they figure it out and keep making cool stuff.
You’re only doing half the equation. They only sell complete bikes now so a $6k frame is a $10-12k bike out the door. Granted probably not 50% markup but still more income coming in than purely framesets.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
The Instagram post certainly seems to suggest they'll have at least one frameset for sale.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:44 PM
Randomhead

I can build a frame relatively quickly once I have all the parts. That's glossing over how much time it takes to get parts, design the frame, and a lot of little things that take time. If I was building a modern version of a '70s skinny tired racing frame, life would be a lot easier for me, I can do that blazingly fast.

Selling them is a lot harder. I think that's true for most builders. If you had to pay people for all the requisite tasks involved in building a frame, including selling, then selling them cheap looks fairly difficult. The companies that are giving frames away cheap are slowly going away. People try to start one up occasionally, but those companies go away pretty quickly.

Don't forget you need insurance, which is claims made. So you have to keep those payments up for life if you are a sole proprietor. If you are a sole proprietor that is incorporated, then just dissolving the corporation probably doesn't protect you.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:44 PM
Administrator

lol. the best comment in that insta post is that him and tony are joining up to form breadvagen. love it.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
lol. the best comment in that insta post is that him and tony are joining up to form breadvagen. love it.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
The Instagram post certainly seems to suggest they'll have at least one frameset for sale.
Didn’t see that in the original post..

Regardless. Their bikes are very specifically sized, not giving a list of what they have is mildly ridiculous from a business strategy perspective.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Personally was expecting a collaborator w Haley..

SPUDvagen has a nice ring.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Didn’t see that in the original post..

Regardless. Their bikes are very specifically sized, not giving a list of what they have is mildly ridiculous from a business strategy perspective.
Not sure about the need for the “mildly” caveat. It’s just ridiculous. And it might be germane to their business issues. “Mystique” can only get you so far.

Got some frames for sale? List some effin sizes.
Old 09-25-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Not sure about the need for the “mildly” caveat. It’s just ridiculous. And it might be germane to their business issues. “Mystique” can only get you so far.

Got some frames for sale? List some effin sizes.
On the other hand, maybe their goal to get a love get rid of more than just frames. They start posting sizes, they're going to have people asking for pictures. At that point, it's nearly as much work as selling a new frame. On the other hand, you have people show up in person, bring their own tape measures, use their own eyes, and pay a price you make up on the spot, be safe yourself, a whole lot of work.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
On the other hand, maybe their goal to get a love get rid of more than just frames. They start posting sizes, they're going to have people asking for pictures. At that point, it's nearly as much work as selling a new frame. On the other hand, you have people show up in person, bring their own tape measures, use their own eyes, and pay a price you make up on the spot, be safe yourself, a whole lot of work.
Well, I guess that’s a good gauge of brand loyalty. If you live 30 miles away, maybe you can opt for the “Surprise Me.”

But if you live across the country or even as far away as the Bay Area, are you really going to roll the dice?
Old 09-25-2023, 10:33 PM

This assumes you dont believe PDX is the COTKU…..

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods