Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 AM

in my opinion, the lezyne road drive is just as good as a frame pump. you can get 100psi out of it, without wanting to chuck it into traffic and just call your wife for a ride.

the best frame pumps have a narrow chamber, and the road drive is designed like this. what this does is push less air per stroke, but handles higher pressures better. so it'll take a little longer to get to 100psi than with a pump that has a fatter chamber, but it'll require less effort per stroke.

I still prefer a real frame pump, just because they're more convenient. but when I do need to take the road drive, I don't feel like I'm giving up any pumping power.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 AM

I have 2 Lyzene pumps: one for higher pressure road tires, and the other for lower pressure but higher volume mt bike tires. The water bottle boss mount is very convenient for the roadie. My favorite is still my frame pump, but it doesn't fit well on my "go fast" bike, which is when I use the mini.

I usually have a small frame bag when on my Fargo, and I just drop it in there.

I have a CO2 that I like a lot, but after seeing them fail on a couple of group rides or else not having enough cartridges, I prefer to carry a pump. There are a couple of models that do both, but I've never tried them.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 AM

Another vote for the Lezyne Road Drive (also this pump can be attached to your bottle cage)
Old 03-20-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
As jasonification pointed out, pumps in pockets can fall out.

4 bicycles + 4 sets of bottle cage clamps + 1 Tattico = 0 switching hassle.
The Tattico is not a sized frame pump like the Impero; it is a "mini" frame pump, smaller than a frame pump, but much larger than a pocket pump.
This sounds like the way to go to me. CO2 is great and all, but with latex tubes... time is limited.

This could allow me to carry latex spares, and not have to switch back from Butyl when I get home.

Not that it matter, but how much do you think the Tattico weighs?
Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende View Post
This sounds like the way to go to me. CO2 is great and all, but with latex tubes... time is limited.

This could allow me to carry latex spares, and not have to switch back from Butyl when I get home.

Not that it matter, but how much do you think the Tattico weighs?
I think it works, much better than a pocket pump and/or CO2. OMMV.

Weights:
Silca Tattico Mini-Pump: 159g
(by comparison the Barbieri CarbOne mini-pump weighs 61g, but the Tattico is much better, and much better built)
Silca Tattico bottle cage 1-piece clamp: 15g
(Silca don't sell the clamp separately, which is bs imo; lots of people have more than 1 bicycle...)
Barbieri bottle cage clamp (2-pieces): 9g
Generic eBay Taiwan bottle cage 1-piece clamp: 18g

So I use the Tattico clamp, the old Barbieri clamp, and 2 sets of Taiwan clamps on 4 frames, + the 1 Tattico pump between them all.

Similarly, I use 1 Rixen and Kaul saddle bag + 4 sets of Rixen and Kaul "KLICKFix" saddle rail clamps on the 4 Arione saddles. The "KLICKFix" clamps seem much stronger/simpler than the Fizik ICS clamps, and the R&K bags are very nice.

Switching both the Tattico pump and the R&K bag between the 4 bicycles takes literally a few seconds, and all the clamps are very tight and secure. Plus, both the pump and bag are always mounted to 1 frame, so I don't need to look around for the pocket pump I forgot I put on the shelf when I washed my jersey the other day, and is now hiding up there behind the detergent.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:47 PM

I never like to carry anything in my jersey that might stab or bruise me when I fall.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:59 PM

Blackburn Airstik 2Stage has a switch so you can use low pressure to get things started and then switch to high pressure to easily up the PSI. It works pretty well in a pinch. Not quite as small as the basic Airstik but still compact enough to fit in a jersey pocket with plenty of room to spare.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Leyzyne Pressure Drive. It'll get you home....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
As jasonification pointed out, pumps in pockets can fall out.
Leyzyne Pressure Drive. It'll get you home....and stay in your jersey pocket!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:48 AM

Bought a Lezyne Road Drive recently for the peace of mind that I won't "run out" like can happen with CO2 on a bad day. I went with the medium size and use the included bottle boss mount. It's well hidden under a bottle.

I can easily get a tire up to the needed pressure. It's amazing how well it works. I think the medium is a tad big for a jersey pocket, but they also make a small size that'll fit great. The small just requires more strokes to fill your tire to pressure.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2017, 11:30 PM
Gallant C.

I also have the Lezyne Road Drive and it does a solid job of getting my tires up to 90 PSI out on the road.

I had the flex hose attachment on it go bad at some point. Lezyne replaced it via warranty with no hassles. They have great customer service.

I've been eyeing the Silica Pocket Impero. But so far can't justify the cost given I am happy with my Lezyne.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:22 PM

The Silca has worked for me. That said, I am now getting concerned about things that could hurt me when I crash. But I am rationalizing that if something in the middle pocket was going to hurt me I would be pretty hurt anyway. I know that is an illogical rationalization.