Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 09-19-2015, 04:42 PM
Ralph Ralph is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,040
Now we know why some of you can get such incredible fuel economy on long light steady throttle trips.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-19-2015, 04:45 PM
Jaq Jaq is offline
In Velo Veritas
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 1,238
Meanwhile, just a couple dozen of the container ships that ferry these little beauties around the world - along with our TVs and organic coconut oil and iPhones and DI2s and Rapha kits - puke out as much pollutants as all the world's cars combined.

Thank god our frugal consumer habits have left us complexly innocent in all this.
__________________
Came for the Campy, stayed for the dogpile.

Last edited by Jaq; 09-19-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-19-2015, 04:51 PM
kgreene10 kgreene10 is offline
kg
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaq View Post
Meanwhile, just a couple dozen of the container ships that ferry these little beauties around the world - along with our TVs and organic coconut oil and iPhones and DI2s and Rapha kits - puke out as much pollutants as all the world's cars combined.

Thank god our frugal consumer habits have left us complexly innocent in all this.
From what I've read, about 20% of each overseas car's carbon footprint is accounted for by the manufacturing process and pre-sale transportation.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-19-2015, 05:25 PM
grawk's Avatar
grawk grawk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Secret City, TN
Posts: 483
I'm happy to leave the hack in place. I'll be doing all my future service at an independent.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Seramount's Avatar
Seramount Seramount is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,445
it's the times we live in.

lying and cheating are all-prevalent.

politicians, athletes, car makers...it's a long list.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-19-2015, 05:34 PM
SlackMan SlackMan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
I'm happy to leave the hack in place. I'll be doing all my future service at an independent.
And massively contribute to air pollution? Are you being serious?
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-19-2015, 05:36 PM
Louis Louis is offline
Boeuf Chaîne
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 20,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackMan View Post
And massively contribute to air pollution? Are you being serious?
Time to ROLL COAL in a Jetta !!!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-19-2015, 05:44 PM
grawk's Avatar
grawk grawk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Secret City, TN
Posts: 483
it's hardly massively polluting. Having to do an expensive service less often coupled with better performance is a modification I'd pay to do.

I drive a vehicle that gets over 40mpg, that's the entirety of the concession to the environment I'm currently prepared to make. If everyone in this country drove the most efficient car, it wouldn't make a dent compared to helping china get to where they give a ···· about their environment and stop polluting like it's 1950.

Last edited by grawk; 09-19-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-19-2015, 06:05 PM
SlackMan SlackMan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
it's hardly massively polluting. Having to do an expensive service less often coupled with better performance is a modification I'd pay to do.

I drive a vehicle that gets over 40mpg, that's the entirety of the concession to the environment I'm currently prepared to make. If everyone in this country drove the most efficient car, it wouldn't make a dent compared to helping china get to where they give a ï½·ï½·ï½·ï½· about their environment and stop polluting like it's 1950.
A quote from the Bloomberg article linked above: "During normal driving, the cars pollute 10 times to 40 times the legal limits, the agency estimated."

If I were to drive a car that gets 10mpg (which I don't, and I often commute by bike), I would still be way ahead of your concession.

Sorry, but I am floored by your comment...and I am a skeptic when it comes to man-made climate change!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-19-2015, 06:11 PM
grawk's Avatar
grawk grawk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Secret City, TN
Posts: 483
The standards were made to make it impractical to sell diesel passenger vehicles, rather than to do actual good. They were intended to favor gas/electric hybrids. I guarantee my tdi engine, as sold today, is a cleaner running engine than any gas vehicle per mile today, or any vehicle sold prior to 2012.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 09-19-2015, 07:11 PM
PacNW2Ford PacNW2Ford is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackMan View Post
A quote from the Bloomberg article linked above: "During normal driving, the cars pollute 10 times to 40 times the legal limits, the agency estimated."

If I were to drive a car that gets 10mpg (which I don't, and I often commute by bike), I would still be way ahead of your concession.

Sorry, but I am floored by your comment...and I am a skeptic when it comes to man-made climate change!
I guarantee you that 40 illegal TDIs are polluting way less than one old Subaru, that's why it's hardly "massively". We would be way better off crushing old Subarus and giving their owners these cars from an environmental standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09-19-2015, 07:26 PM
SlackMan SlackMan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,127
How can the above two posters possibly know whether the assertions they make are true given that all we know is that the VW TDIs emit a range of pollutants much, much higher than the legal limit?

Looking at this another way, if all you have to do is get the update and reduce emissions by a factor of 10x to 40x, how could you possibly justify not doing it?

Last edited by SlackMan; 09-19-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-19-2015, 07:38 PM
grawk's Avatar
grawk grawk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Secret City, TN
Posts: 483
Because they put the change in the code to make the car perform better and more reliably. I'm not willing to make my car worse because some politicians want to make hybrid cars seem better.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-19-2015, 07:46 PM
SlackMan SlackMan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
Because they put the change in the code to make the car perform better and more reliably. I'm not willing to make my car worse because some politicians want to make hybrid cars seem better.
Did you see the quote from the Bloomberg article? By turning off the emissions controls as they do, the cars emit 10x to 40x the limit. Are you saying that you are okay with driving the car around emitting 10x to 40x the limit? I'm still puzzled as to why this is even a possibility you are considering.

What am I missing?

Last edited by SlackMan; 09-19-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: What am I missing?
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09-19-2015, 07:52 PM
velotrack velotrack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,789
Given that this is new information, I'd like to hear more facts before I take a super strong stance on this. It's nice to see more than one side, and a greater variety of definite facts and numbers, before raising the pitchforks...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
autoscam, boring threads

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.