Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 11:03 PM
The bass playing cyclist

OT: Men's Shoes

No, not cycling shoes, which are mostly made of hard plastic and velcro (blech!) I'm talking about well crafted men's leather shoes, like oxfords, derbies, whole cuts and brogues. I'll admit it seems like I'm developing a bit of a problem with these things, with three pair of Allen Edmonds (penny loafers, tassel loafers and derbies), a pair of black toe cap oxfords by Crockett & Jones, black velvet loafers from Ferragamo (you know you need these), some suede double monk straps from Santoni, and the most recent acquisition, a pair of black penny loafers (more?!) from Bontoni. Yes, I have a problem. Just wondering if anyone else out here was similarly afflicted.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:33 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Fortunately for my wallet, these days I don't see shoes as a high-priority fashion accessory, just something you wear to protect and keep your feel warm and dry in the winter.

However, I do try to support US manufacturers when I can, so I've been buying off and on from Rancourt in Maine.

https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/

I have a pair of loafers (incredibly comfortable) and a few boots from them.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:30 AM

My weird wide duck feet preclude me from getting into the Imelda Marcos situation with dress shoes, but I do need a few more pairs to go with suits. Watching this space.

Edit: To OP, where are you going to shop for these things in person in Northern California?

Last edited by doomridesout; 01-26-2020 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOJoe View Post
No, not cycling shoes, which are mostly made of hard plastic and velcro (blech!) I'm talking about well crafted men's leather shoes, like oxfords, derbies, whole cuts and brogues. I'll admit it seems like I'm developing a bit of a problem with these things, with three pair of Allen Edmonds (penny loafers, tassel loafers and derbies), a pair of black toe cap oxfords by Crockett & Jones, black velvet loafers from Ferragamo (you know you need these), some suede double monk straps from Santoni, and the most recent acquisition, a pair of black penny loafers (more?!) from Bontoni. Yes, I have a problem. Just wondering if anyone else out here was similarly afflicted.
What is a derby shoe?
Old 01-26-2020, 03:49 AM

Alden
Crockett & Jones
Trickers

Yes I share your problem
Old 01-26-2020, 06:12 AM

My dress shoe/boot collection is large. Here is my list:

Alden black cordovan long wing tip
Alden no 8 cordovan chukka.
Alden no 8 cordovan wing tip dress boot

Jill Sander black and blue derby - aka clown shoe
Paul Smith brown cap toe.

Prada black Norwegian toe
Prada black cap toe
Prada brown cap toe

The only shoes I paid full retail are all the aldens. Everything else was seriously discounted. At least 2 pairs are over 10 years old with most being over 5. Care is the key.

My shoe polish collection is as big. Mostly use saphir and have alden matching colour creams for them.

My running shoe collection is larger.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:16 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
the Imelda Marcos situation
Which, of course, inspired this:

https://youtu.be/sUZ9KbFBYdY
Old 01-26-2020, 10:40 AM

Not much call for dress shoes in my life although I have a few. I do have a thing for good boots. Wolverine 1000 mile collection made in MI, Thorogood 1892 made in WI. Both of those use chromexcel leather and are super comfortable. I also have some US made Redwings and for western boots some Rod Patrick shark skin that date back to when he was getting started and making them in TX. As I understand it Patricks are finished in Mexico now for all the hand labor but still excellent quality although I haven't been keeping up lately. My next boots will more Thorogoods as I am really impressed with the fit and quality of the first pair.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:41 AM

Ecco shoes

I have really liked my Ecco Track25 shoes from Ecco. They are really good for walking in for miles and miles. Great shoes.

The downside is they run $300 Canadian but they do last and look smart in a casual way.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:06 AM

I'm afflicted
Ferragamos - 4 pair. What can I say, they just fit well and if you take care of them, last for decades. Had one pair I resoled three times before they finally gave out.
One pair of custom, hand-made shoes I had made when in Vienna by cobbler
Tod - dress boots

Like my good quality hiking boots as well.

Learned early, don't waste money on cheap shoes, they fall apart in yr or two
Old 01-26-2020, 12:19 PM
shimergo

I'm afflicted as well, but more so on boots:
Viberg Service Boot
Dayton Service Boot
Red Wing Iron Rangers

Though I do have a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues and Strands when the occasion calls.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:47 PM

I like vintage stuff-Bruno Magli, Bally.
Have Allen Edmonds as well.

The glove soft Bally's and Magli's are so comfortable I wear them with jeans when I can.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:04 PM

I have three pairs of Bruno Magli, a few pairs of Allen Edmunds, and a couple of pairs of Alden. At this point I’m trying to use what I have rather than grow the collection.

As someone pointed out above, these things can last for a long time assuming you take care of them and don’t have a teething Irish setter puppy (it was 10 years ago and I still don’t want to talk about it!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2020, 03:32 PM
The bass playing cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
Edit: To OP, where are you going to shop for these things in person in Northern California?
If you Google Allen Edmonds store locator, you'll see they have quite a few stores in the Bay Area as well as one close to me here in Roseville (Galleria). Nordstrom usually has some upper end stuff and I've heard of folks getting nice shoes for half off at Nordstrom Rack. If you ever travel into San Francisco, Wilkes Bashford has a lot of nice stuff. Also, as pdonk said, you can find this stuff seriously discounted if you keep an eye out for online sales. Allen Edmonds often discounts up to 50% on certain models at certain times of the year.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:35 PM

nope...don't have that bug thankfully...couple of pairs of redwing shoes here always...union made and last forever...not good for picking up chicks tho...