Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 07:09 PM

Saddles...I know, I know

Look, saddles and shoes are pretty subjective, I get that. I’m getting older and less flexible and need a saddle recommendation, maybe one that has a cutout. I have three old style Selle Italia Flites that I have been nursing for twenty years and I’m thinking I’d try a newer saddle with a cutout as my wedding tackle gets numb at times, especially on the trainer indoors.
So, if you were a Flite rider, what are your thoughts?
Pat
Old 01-25-2020, 07:24 PM

I’ve tried the smp first and I picked one that was to hard. As far as flexibility it help a lot with the nose pointing down. If you’re not use to cut out make sure you get enough padding to compensate for a smaller support surface. I should have pick the well from smp.

I then moved on over a power arc from specialized I’d give a 8 on 10 for shape and comfort. It work as a good as the smp for me.

Now, I am trying some ISM as I found an LBS that carry them. I’m getting more a 9 on 10 score. A lot more improvements for flexibility. So much that I’m thinking of lowering my handlebars.

But that’s just me.

I wish I could try the sell Italia Novu Boost and the SLR boost.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:36 PM

I used a flite many years ago. The smp stratos works for me. Check out their website for sizing recommendations. The stratos is narrow with standard padding. Smp makes many models.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:58 PM

I have been using some form of Flite for decades.
I recently switched to a SLR Superflow

I have to say it is very comfortable
The only niggle is it is slightly wider mid saddle than flite
Just slightly & I only notice during first 10 minutes & it is getting less as weeks go by.

In any case something I did not know is Flite is slightly more narrow mid saddle due to longer section from nose till flair out starts

SLR starts to flair slightly sooner which gives it that wider impression initially
Both saddles are 275 long

That aside as I said the SLR Superflow has been very very comfortable & I am happy I switched
Old 01-25-2020, 09:35 PM

HTFU!!!

Just kidding! I've ridden nothing but Flites on my road bikes since I got my first one back in 1993. I've got a few in stock that I've recovered a few times. My favorite is the model with the gel mid-saddle.

I talk to guys that used to ride Flites and have switched, and I think that maybe I should too.....but I can't give 'em up!
Old 01-25-2020, 09:41 PM

Selle Flite Gel Flow or SLR Gel flow if you are up for something a touch more minimal. Great saddles. I prefer the cutout and have been running these for over a decade on many bikes.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:13 AM

From the modern ones Scoop saddles specially the shallow one which is curved and with the shape of a 80s-90s era saddle is my choice.

Not soft, not hard... IMO is just right. Sometimes you can find for fair numbers in the bay.

For the record I used to use saddles with cutout like spech and one day to another they did not work, then went back in time and started testing vetta saddles, just old stuff... then set up in the Scoop ones because of the shape, no need for cut out anymore.

In a trade with a local forumite I got a regal, super nice saddle aswell and no wonder is his saddle choice but i found it tiny bit hard compared with the scoop. Maybe 4 hours but not for a century at least for me. Thought the metal pieces were going to bother me, nothing... Maybe need to ride it more tho.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:46 AM

I’ve gone from SMP lite290 to drakon to forma

The more I ride the more I prefer a harder saddle. Padding wise lite > drakon > forma. Nowadays, when I ride the drakon, it feels squishy. Once you get used to the contact points and your sit bones adjust, you will find that there’s no pinching, nerve issues, pins & needles or the signs you get with using something like the classic airone
Old 01-26-2020, 06:22 AM

I went from Flites to Selle Anatomica. Started with the original model X and now with the H (bigger guy). It took a few rides to determine that the nose goes up to get weight back on the sit bones. The Flite was level. Tried a couple of others in between like RegalE (fit well but too hard for longer rides) and Brooks Cambium C17 (comfy but deformed and stretched out too soon). Seems the hammock effect and give of the nylon base on the Flite and now leather on the Anatomica suits me well. I do have Brooks B17 that I like as well. But it takes time to break in whereas the Anatomica is great out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2020, 11:11 AM

Long time Flite rider that switched awhile back to Fizik Alainte and never looked back
Old 01-26-2020, 11:40 AM

I'm not very flexible either and the fitter I saw recommended the Fizik Aliante. He didn't measure my sit bones but he put me on a large (154mm wide). The guy knows what's he doing, though. About a year and 1000 miles later and I still like it.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:50 PM

Try an SLR if you don’t mind hard saddles.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:52 PM
Administrator

just fyi:

it's not uncommon for cyclists to complain of numbness riding the trainer when they dont experience the same outdoors.

i think it has something to do with the very undynamic nature of riding a trainer, the bike doesnt move much, and you probably stand up and get out of the saddle less.

point is, that if you're mainly experiencing a problem riding the trainer, it may just be the nature of trainer riding, rather than a change in saddle necessary.

just a thought.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:16 PM

I agree with Angry Scientist that the trainer is a different riding experience than outdoors. Having said that, my last saddle was a Flite carbonio flow and I switched to the San Marco Shortfit. Generous cut out and very light. I have one on all my bikes now.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:48 PM

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas. I agree that the trainer is part of the numbness equation. Thinking of giving the Aliante a go.
Pat