Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 01:23 PM

Ten years ago or so I had a chat with a mechanic who was working for a world champ cyclocrosser and I asked him how he glued wheels. He said, "I put glue on the rim. Then I put glue on the tire. I wait a little bit, and then I put the tire on the rim."
Old 01-26-2020, 06:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Ten years ago or so I had a chat with a mechanic who was working for a world champ cyclocrosser and I asked him how he glued wheels. He said, "I put glue on the rim. Then I put glue on the tire. I wait a little bit, and then I put the tire on the rim."
Yup, for a lot of people, many who have never used or glued on, tubulars, it has become some sort of black art or something.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
I have been using Carogna tape for a few years now. I will never glue another tire on. I can replace a tire in 10min, then ride it the next morning.

Yep, this!

My last 3 sets have been taped and the oldest is still holding up just fine after two years.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:11 AM

When tape is used, and a puncture occurs, do you bring a roll of tape with you so that a spare tub can be attached?
Old 01-26-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, for a lot of people, many who have never used or glued on, tubulars, it has become some sort of black art or something.
Used tubulars for 35 years. And when there was already plenty of old glue on rim, just put another coat on it, let get tacky, then put tire on. Didn't usually put glue on tire. Maybe Florida heat helped keep tacky. The old spare I carried under seat for emergencies just went on in a few seconds, never put any glue on it to get me home (maybe go careful on down hills). No big deal. Although I did have some old tubular rims to stretch tire on first with about 80 lbs air.

Don't use tubulars anymore. Don't see the need, clinchers so good. But using tubulars is no big deal.

Last edited by Ralph; 01-26-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
When tape is used, and a puncture occurs, do you bring a roll of tape with you so that a spare tub can be attached?
I carry a co2, 3oz bottle of sealant, plastic valve core remover, and a cell phone.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah... i thought that too.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:15 AM

Thats for solid mastic... there's 2 types of glue.. .the hard one which is usually red and the one like vittoria and continental. For those you have to use thinner or even flue to get them soft. A second option which ive seen here is to use like a metal brush but a soft one and start scraping, they sell one really good that can be used with a drill.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Bring a pre-glued spare..maybe the below, to get a decently glued on tubular, off.

I carry a spare tire, a below gizmo, $5 wrapped in old sock strapped below saddle, phone. My tubies when on the bike are all treated with sealant..Orange Seal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg il_570xN.265983848.jpg (4.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 01-27-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
I carry a co2, 3oz bottle of sealant, plastic valve core remover, and a cell phone.
Sealant doesn't always work. When a taped tire is removed, it usually pulls the tape from the rim. When this happens, the rim no longer has a sticky surface, and a pre-glued spare won't have enough purchase power to be safe. For this reason I still prefer to glue. When pushing through a brevet, it is comforting to have a spare that will hold well, and a frame pump that will bring it up to pressure.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:09 AM

I like OP's paint can opener; I have a small flat-bladed screwdriver with the edges rounded so they're not sharp. Also carry a valve core remover, small bottle of sealant and a frame pump. CO2 is not reliable enough for me.

And I also have a spare pre-glued tub as well (which reminds me I have to do my annual glue refresh since I've only used it once) and even have a bag for two tubs on longer rides in areas where phone coverage is iffy - call it belt, suspenders, and extra set of suspenders
Old 01-27-2020, 10:49 AM

http://kuktl.dept.ku.edu/bicycle/Cusa1.pdf

Only gluing procedure I have seen based on actual testing of adhesion performance
Old 01-27-2020, 10:54 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Mariposa Carogna tape is the answer
https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/carogna/

Personal review on Page 4
https://thepaceline.net/forums/showt...light=mariposa
Old 01-27-2020, 11:00 AM

All the discussion of glue vs. tape, sealant vs. not, what to carry on a ride, how to fix a flat etc. isn't helping anyone's case that tubulars aren't a black art
Old 01-27-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
All the discussion of glue vs. tape, sealant vs. not, what to carry on a ride, how to fix a flat etc. isn't helping anyone's case that tubulars aren't a black art
Black art is not boring.