Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjaws View Post
See photo. The only part that ever breaks.
Thanks fjaws. I have seen several photos of the rod inside the cleat, need a picture of the wire rod outside of the cleat?
Old 06-03-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Thanks fjaws. I have seen several photos of the rod inside the cleat, need a picture of the wire rod outside of the cleat?
there are 2 of these, mirrored, in each cleat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (34.2 KB, 157 views)
Old 06-03-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
What does the wire clip look like? I could not find a picture of the clip alone.
Looking at it installed in the cleat looks like a stainless wire rod that I most likely could fabricate. What would one pay of these clips?
I would pay $20 for a set of replacement clips. (A set meaning a full replacement to make a pair of worn out cleats, fully usable again.)
And I would buy a large quantity of sets. I’m sure there would be a fairly large market of dedicated X series users that would buy them as well.
I will look and see if I have extra worn out cleats and if I can find some clips I’ll send to you if you have the ability to fabricate.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero85ZEN View Post
I would pay $20 for a set of replacement clips. (A set meaning a full replacement to make a pair of worn out cleats, fully usable again.)
And I would buy a large quantity of sets. I’m sure there would be a fairly large market of dedicated X series users that would buy them as well.
I will look and see if I have extra worn out cleats and if I can find some clips I’ll send to you if you have the ability to fabricate.
Appreciate it zero, interested in seeing what I can do.
PM coming your way.
Thanks!
Old 06-04-2020, 12:04 AM

Wow, glad I found this thread. I was just looking at adding another roadbike (old Litespeed!) and thinking about how I’d need another set of Speedplay pedals. Gonna need to think this through.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:12 AM

It's now looking like Wahoo completely botched the transition in taking over Speedplay. Many things other than X series pedals and cleats are disappearing. Used to be able to find things like the 6-pack of dustcaps for the greaseport. Even the Zero pedals, checking a site like Excel, they're down to one stainless model and color (used to also offer other spindle length options). Or the rebuild kits.. Syzr and Frog models to be found anywhere?
Old 06-04-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero85ZEN View Post
I'd pay that, too. Tony, if it happens, let us know.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
It's now looking like Wahoo completely botched the transition in taking over Speedplay. Many things other than X series pedals and cleats are disappearing. Used to be able to find things like the 6-pack of dustcaps for the greaseport. Even the Zero pedals, checking a site like Excel, they're down to one stainless model and color (used to also offer other spindle length options). Or the rebuild kits.. Syzr and Frog models to be found anywhere?
This presumes that Wahoo cares about the X-series, Frogs, or Szyrs. The X-series and Frogs are 30-year old technology (and the patents have now expired). The Szyrs never sold particularly well, and even Zeros have been around for 20 years now. While the Zeros are great pedals, Speedplay missed the boat when it stopped working with Metrigear to develop a pedal-based power meter and got scooped by Garmin, which ended up purchasing Metrigear and ultimately developed the Vectors.

To make Speedplay (more) profitable, Wahoo likely will reduce the number of SKUs it sells and come to market with a Zero-based power meter (and perhaps an updated Zero). There is no reason to continue with the X-series or to support them, as the Zeros are better pedals that are the functional equivalent. If Wahoo is concerned about preserving goodwill, it can discount the Zeros or allow trade-in’s for X-series users. But like I said, the X-series is dated technology, and it’s not uncommon for companies to stop supporting legacy products. You can’t blame Wahoo — it is a corporation that exists to maximize revenue for its investors, and not to incur losses to keep a relatively small number of cyclists who still use the X-series happy.

As to Szyrs, given that Shimano’s patents on SPD pedals have expired, there are now a large number of alternatives in the MTB pedal market, and it may not make sense for Wahoo to continue offering an MTB pedal unless it can come up with a substantial innovation, or perhaps a pedal based power- meter much less expensive that the SPD model offered by SRM.

I’ve ridden on Speedplay since 1991. I started with the X-series when Speedplay was just getting going, and then switched to Zeros in 2000. I rode Frogs for a while, but disliked them and went back to SPD. I recently gave up my Zeros to switch to Garmin Vector 3 pedals. When Wahoo comes to market with a Speedplay-based power meter, I’ll be all in. I had hoped that we’d see a Speedplay power meter by Eurobike in November, and maybe in the TDF. All bets are off now.

If someone is going to manufacture rebuild kits for X-series pedals, they should have significant insurance coverage. This could create significant liability for both Wahoo/Speedplay and the rebuild kit manufacturer.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:05 AM

Though isn't there at least some sort of legal obligation of a company to offer replacement parts (wear items) for some period of time for an item that was being sold as new only a few months ago (eg. cleats)?

We have to wait and see I suppose, what Wahoo intends (and why they bothered to buy Speedplay in the first place). Not sure it was expected that they'd just cut their lineup in half and call it a day. Would be interesting if they came out with a powermetered SP type of pedal for example
Old 06-04-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Though isn't there at least some sort of legal obligation of a company to offer replacement parts (wear items) for some period of time for an item that was being sold as new only a few months ago (eg. cleats)?
There may be an obligation to make replacement/repair parts available to the extent that a consumer product remains subject to an express or implied warranty.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
This presumes that Wahoo cares about the X-series, Frogs, or Szyrs. The X-series and Frogs are 30-year old technology (and the patents have now expired). The Szyrs never sold particularly well, and even Zeros have been around for 20 years now. While the Zeros are great pedals, Speedplay missed the boat when it stopped working with Metrigear to develop a pedal-based power meter and got scooped by Garmin, which ended up purchasing Metrigear and ultimately developed the Vectors.

To make Speedplay (more) profitable, Wahoo likely will reduce the number of SKUs it sells and come to market with a Zero-based power meter (and perhaps an updated Zero). There is no reason to continue with the X-series or to support them, as the Zeros are better pedals that are the functional equivalent. If Wahoo is concerned about preserving goodwill, it can discount the Zeros or allow trade-in’s for X-series users. But like I said, the X-series is dated technology, and it’s not uncommon for companies to stop supporting legacy products. You can’t blame Wahoo — it is a corporation that exists to maximize revenue for its investors, and not to incur losses to keep a relatively small number of cyclists who still use the X-series happy.

As to Szyrs, given that Shimano’s patents on SPD pedals have expired, there are now a large number of alternatives in the MTB pedal market, and it may not make sense for Wahoo to continue offering an MTB pedal unless it can come up with a substantial innovation, or perhaps a pedal based power- meter much less expensive that the SPD model offered by SRM.

I’ve ridden on Speedplay since 1991. I started with the X-series when Speedplay was just getting going, and then switched to Zeros in 2000. I rode Frogs for a while, but disliked them and went back to SPD. I recently gave up my Zeros to switch to Garmin Vector 3 pedals. When Wahoo comes to market with a Speedplay-based power meter, I’ll be all in. I had hoped that we’d see a Speedplay power meter by Eurobike in November, and maybe in the TDF. All bets are off now.

If someone is going to manufacture rebuild kits for X-series pedals, they should have significant insurance coverage. This could create significant liability for both Wahoo/Speedplay and the rebuild kit manufacturer.

While some of what you say is true, I can't agree with most of it. The main issue now isn't that Speedplay may be discontinuing some of its older products; what has happened is that the supply chain for all Speedplay products has recently dried up. It is generally not a good business practice to buy a company, and then essentially put a halt to its output, if it plans to continue in its field of business.

As far as X series pedals being "old technology": While the basic principle of the X series pedals hasn't changed in 30 years, the design of the X pedals and cleats has been continuously improved over the years. Today's X-series pedals are a far cry from the original model from the '90s. And what's wrong with proven technology, anyway? Look pedals are still a strong market player, and their design concept is even older than the X-series. There are other bicycle technologies that are far older than Speedplay pedals; I mean, why are we still using roller chains and round chainrings? Aren't those technologies so 19th century?

I also disagree that the Zero pedals are an improvement in every way of the X-series. The X-series are easier to get into and out of, have more float, and are also lighter than Zero pedals. Zero pedals are more adjustable than X-series, but that leads to compromises: The X-series can't do everything that the Zero pedals can, but the things it does do, it does better.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
While some of what you say is true, I can't agree with most of it. The main issue now isn't that Speedplay may be discontinuing some of its older products; what has happened is that the supply chain for all Speedplay products has recently dried up. It is generally not a good business practice to buy a company, and then essentially put a halt to its output, if it plans to continue in its field of business.

As far as X series pedals being "old technology": While the basic principle of the X series pedals hasn't changed in 30 years, the design of the X pedals and cleats has been continuously improved over the years. Today's X-series pedals are a far cry from the original model from the '90s. And what's wrong with proven technology, anyway? Look pedals are still a strong market player, and their design concept is even older than the X-series. There are other bicycle technologies that are far older than Speedplay pedals; I mean, why are we still using roller chains and round chainrings? Aren't those technologies so 19th century?

I also disagree that the Zero pedals are an improvement in every way of the X-series. The X-series are easier to get into and out of, have more float, and are also lighter than Zero pedals. Zero pedals are more adjustable than X-series, but that leads to compromises: The X-series can't do everything that the Zero pedals can, but the things it does do, it does better.
Reasonable minds may differ. That’s why forums like this exist.

The question is why has the supply chain dried up? The distribution channels existed before Speedplay was purchased by Wahoo and I have to think that the disruption is being caused by something else, i.e., a lack of supply. But neither of us have concrete information and we both speculate. We just will have to wait to see what Wahoo has in mind, and if the distribution or supply issues are resolved, and if so how. As to improvements in Speedplay pedals over the years, the cleats certainly have improved. I’m not sure how much the pedals themselves changed. Richard Bryne (who still is with Wahoo/Speedplay in a consultant role) has been pretty savvy and aggressive with his intellectual property. My suspicion is that the cleats were improved to obtain new patents, as the patents on the pedals themselves were expiring. Granted, I haven’t searched and don’t know what Speedplay’s patent portfolio looks like. It will be interesting to see what Wahoo/Speedplay comes up with. Like I said, I’m in in a split second if a Speedplay-based PM is introduced.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:46 PM

Here's the place you can ask, fyi:

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/...d=360000422279
Old 06-06-2020, 07:32 AM
50 bpm

What the market will bear?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Speedplay-X...AAAOSw5ztez9xX
Old 06-15-2020, 01:46 PM

On Saturday I stopped by the LBS to order a set of Ultra Light Action pedals with +1/8” stainless spindles.
Just got a call from the shop.
ULAs now available in only chromoly standard length spindles.
Speedplay drastically cut back offerings across the board.
Can’t see switching to Zeros due to compatibility issues with other ULA-equipped bikes.
Curious if all manufacturing will be moved to China.