Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 01:49 PM

* real name, if you like Uh... David Tollefson
* where do you live? The red-headed step-child of Seattle aka Tacoma, WA
* explanation of your handle You'd have to ask my parents
* explanation of your avatar A large tat on my back and my frame company logo
* age (general or specific) Upper mid-50's
* occupation Full-time engineer, part time frame builder
* favorite bike My climbing roadie (see below), though it doesn't get so many miles on it.
* what's in your stable? All my own builds -- two road bikes, a gravel bike, a monster-cross single speed, and a TT bike.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Something in the upper-mid 50's coming off the old spiral highway back into Clarkston... Or is it Lewiston? After the final road stage of the Twin Rivers stage race in 1993 or so.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Not that many. Suffered a bad herniated disc in late August and have been on the trainer since.
* picture of yourself or your ride? see below
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Why is the sky blue? Well, actually, the sky is NOT blue, that is just a function of the light emitance of the gasses that make up our atmosphere.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? Honestly I can't think of one. Maybe that makes me some kind of psychotic...
* and, something fun. I also ride a Ducati Multi-strada 620. I have two daughters -- 19 and almost 7.
* How did you find the paceline Forum? Was curious about the whole "across the hall" thing on Velocipede Salon, found myself here.

Last edited by David Tollefson; 07-31-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
.......* make up and answer at least one additional question. Why is the sky blue? Well, actually, the sky is NOT blue, that is just a function of the light emitance of the gasses that make up our atmosphere......
Actually Dave, the sky is not blue to the emittance of gasses but due to Rayleigh (elastic) scattering of photons by molecules in the atmosphere. Rayleigh scattering depends on the inverse fourth power of the wavelength - a very strong dependence. Sunlight covers the range of wavelengths in the visible spectrum, from short wavelengths at the violet-blue end to long wavelengths at the red end. The violet-blue-green photons are more strongly scattered than those at the red-orange-yellow end, so the sky appears to be blueish.

The photons are never really absorbed by the molecules, so they are not 'emitted'. Elastic scattering means the wavelength of the light is not changed in the scattering process.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
actually dave, the sky is not blue to the emittance of gasses but due to rayleigh (elastic) scattering of photons by molecules in the atmosphere. Rayleigh scattering depends on the inverse fourth power of the wavelength - a very strong dependence. Sunlight covers the range of wavelengths in the visible spectrum, from short wavelengths at the violet-blue end to long wavelengths at the red end. The violet-blue-green photons are more strongly scattered than those at the red-orange-yellow end, so the sky appears to be blueish.

The photons are never really absorbed by the molecules, so they are not 'emitted'. Elastic scattering means the wavelength of the light is not changed in the scattering process.
huh????

By the way, I heard it from scientists that the reason the sky appears blue is due the fact that the Earth is mostly water and the sunlight reflects that back into the atmosphere, which why Mars atmosphere is red because they have no water and the dirt is red.

Last edited by froze; 07-31-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
huh????

By the way, I heard it from scientists that the reason the sky appears blue is due the fact that the Earth is mostly water and the sunlight reflects that back into the atmosphere, which why Mars atmosphere is red because they have no water and the dirt is red.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering
Old 07-31-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
Ok, so let's make this simple for me and other readers like me. If there wasn't any water on the surface of the earth then what color would the sky be?
Old 07-31-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Ok, so let's make this simple for me and other readers like me. If there wasn't any water on the surface of the earth then what color would the sky be?
Brown, black, red? Really wouldn't matter... we wouldn't be here to see it.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Brown, black, red? Really wouldn't matter... we wouldn't be here to see it.
But we are in two places to see it, Earth and Mars; and for both the full daytime sky is the color that predominantly inhibits the planet. On Earth that is blue from the water and green from plant life, and on Mars its reddish from the dirt. Are you saying, that these colors we see on both places have nothing to do with planets makeup and the reflection of that color back into the atmosphere?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
But we are in two places to see it, Earth and Mars; and for both the full daytime sky is the color that predominantly inhibits the planet. On Earth that is blue from the water and green from plant life, and on Mars its reddish from the dirt. Are you saying, that these colors we see on both places have nothing to do with planets makeup and the reflection of that color back into the atmosphere?
No, not at all. Left out the part if we had no water.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Blue skies don't have anything due specifically to water. Rayleigh scattering is also why sunsets tend to be red-orange: the blue gets preferentially scattered in all directions, while you are looking at the direct rays from the sun, so it appears red, because less long wavelength light is scattered in other directions.

Last edited by jemoryl; 07-31-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:55 PM

I'll bet.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:47 AM

* where do you live? New York’s capital region
* favorite bike: Whatever I’m riding.
* what's in your stable? My three favorites are Serotta Fierte Ti (road - my newest addition), Ibis Mojo 3 (trail), Specialized Crux (mixed surfaces)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 41.8mph October 2020 on Round Barn Road, Amsterdam NY
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? About 1,300
* picture of yourself or your ride? My new beauty!
* make up and answer at least one additional question: What is your dream bike? No. 22 Drifter
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I haven’t been riding much lately.
* and, something fun: Rides where you alternate between road, single-track, and bike paths are a blast. If you can work in stashing a kayak and paddling back to the car, then you’ve got over-the-top amazing.
* How did you find the paceline Forum? I’ve ridden Dirtphault a number of times so I’ve heard about the Forum. After purchasing my Serotta and looking on-line for information about my bike, I found the Forum on-line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 170992906.VeEdvH77.P8280861MLR2020.jpg (152.1 KB, 313 views)
Old 01-20-2022, 01:49 AM

Lightbulb

Greetings,
Somewhat boring but highly capable parents named me Michael, becoming an actual member long overdue.
Now over 30 years riding, mostly road with cyclocross pain on occasion.
4500-5000 miles/yr
Best bike, colnago M10
First real race bike was specialized Allez epic, bonded carbon

Reside in northern Utah, physician assistant, in pediatrics
Love wrenching on old lugged steel bikes, particularly circa 80’s

Was a USCF official in the 90’s, and sometimes moto official
Old 11-27-2022, 10:37 PM

* real name Jason
* where do live? Toronto, GTA
* explanation of your handle D'uh - high school gang nickname 🙄
* explanation of your avatar
* age (general or specific) 49
* occupation partner applied data
* favorite bike anything steel or ti still gets me excited
* what's in your stable? Serotta CIII, Scott Foil, Cervelo Aspero, Niner Rip 9 rdo, Cannondale Fat Caad 1, Specialized Levo, Haro Pro bmx, Skeletta road
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 92kph descending Haleakala
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Around 6000km up until sept when I crashed and broke a lot of bones ending my season and the start of this season by another five months 😔
* picture of yourself or your ride?
* make up and answer at least one additional question.
Why I’m posting this. Been a member of the forum since 2006 and have bought a few things but don’t have enough posts to give kudos to sellers.
* and, something fun…I helped ideate the script for the sitcom Kim’s Convenience. Story about my friend and us growing up.
* How did you find the paceline Forum?* originally joined when it was still the Serotta forums.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:09 PM

* real name Sam
* where do you live? Philadelphia by way of the Midwest
* explanation of your handle High School nickname (pronounced sweetie)
* explanation of your avatar I find this and several other images of former presidents funny
* age (general or specific) 28
* occupation bottom rung IT guy
* favorite bike uh gee I've only really tried a few. I like my Giant Revolt
* what's in your stable? Giant Revolt Pro Advanced 1 (2021), Specialized Rockhopper Sport (89/90/91? can't nail down a year)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Dunno, maybe 36? Down the back side of Mount Wilson in LA this year
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 4,500
* make up and answer at least one additional question - What got you into cycling? I rode some as a kid, especially with my dad. We'd ride to the nearest ice cream shop (14 miles away) every year for Father's day. Its always been my preferred mode of transport and getting into my mid 20's I decided I needed a hobby that wasn't all about staying up late and spending money. So I picked up cycling to get up early and spend money.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? I'm not a very good liar, uh
* and, something fun. I really enjoy using the Wandrer.earth site to find new places locally
* How did you find the paceline Forum?* looking for some information on old bikes and various fixes, I have stumbled into the paceline forum several times and figured I should finally subscribe. Also ogling stuff in the marketplace.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:43 PM

* where do you live? Oakland Hills
* explanation of your handle: Used as a handle in other areas; combination of parts of my name
* explanation of your avatar: Don't have one yet
* age (general or specific): 19 and 2/3
* favorite bike: Can't say I've ridden enough to know. Based on looks alone, I'd have to say the black Colnago V3Rs (?) that Pogačar rode in the 2020 TDF. I may be misremembering, but I'm a sucker for any bike with a matte black finish and simple white lettering on the down tube.
* what's in your stable? 2014 Giant TCR SLR and (sort of) a Serotta Legend Ti.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 47.8 mph, South Park Drive, Oakland, Ca, August 7 2021
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? ~1600 in 2022. Lackluster but hoping to improve.
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Favorite cycling memory? Mine is probably from some of the group rides I've gone on. I don't do them often so it's nice to meet a lot of new people. One of my favorites was put on by the R&A Cycles location in Walnut Creek. Super fun day and lots of great people.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I'm from Oljado Family camp
* and, something fun. Anything outdoors. Cycling and running are great. Hiking in Yosemite is probably one of my favorite memories. So picturesque.
* How did you find the paceline Forum? Through my dad.