Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummus_aquinas View Post
Here's the bike rack at work (me in the back!). Didn't read the thread- a rando bike has to have low-trail geo, fenders, integrated lighting, front rack for GILLES BERTHOUD bag, and silver stuff.
My lugged Boulder All-Road is by far my favorite bike of all time.

]
Quick question, I have the "breakaway" mounts on my front fender, most of the bikes in this thread don't. Is it necessary? I thought, especially with the metal/larger fenders it was.. thanks!
Old 07-22-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Quick question, I have the "breakaway" mounts on my front fender, most of the bikes in this thread don't. Is it necessary? I thought, especially with the metal/larger fenders it was.. thanks!
It comes down to one's risk tolerance.

What's the clearance in your setup? What type of terrain are you riding? What type of tires are you riding? How's your dental insurance?
Old 07-22-2021, 12:53 PM

I've had handlebar bags on my bike since the early 1970s. Not the size of some of the ones shown here, but I'm not a rando rider. It is great to have all the necessary tools and the like in the bag. It's also great to have a bag that opens away from you so you can easily and safely access it while riding. I use the Klickfix mount, and a Rixen&Kaul bag, and I have the mount on three of my bikes. I just put an Almsthre burrito-style bag on the Strong, but it doesn't offer in-ride access (and it's much smaller) yet it's 7 oz instead of 28 oz.

I expect I will fit the Rixen&Kaul bag to the Strong for D2R2 unless the weather is perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Snip
A front handlebar bag allows one to snack and easily access things while riding.

In the Bay Area, a lot of non-rando folks have started mounting burrito-style front bags on their bikes. I think it's a lot better than overstuffing one's jersey pockets.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:57 PM
Resident Slacker

New pads and rotors today so took some glamour shots.

This was the last bike to take me through a full Super Series. Started innocently enough with a 200k. Then I agreed to ride a 300k with a friend whom I'd just built a very similar bike for. Next up was the Fleche. There was a dirt section on the route that might have been a little much for my skinny tire bikes, but my Ellis Strada Fango was out of commission so I was "forced" to take this bike. Then the 400k rolled around, and I figured if I could ride a 24 hour Fleche on this bike, then a 400k should be easier as I wouldn't have to be out there as long. When it was time for the 600k, I was already 3/4 the way to a series so I said "**** it, let's do this thing." It was actually a great bike for the winding roads of the Feather River Canyon. When tucked, I was passing all of my friends on the descents! But I was singing a different song towards the last 100 miles of flat. Ass hurt, back hurt, overheating. Pretty much just wanted to be DONE. Ice cream 20 miles from the finish didn't completely alleviate the suffering...but it helped!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clown1.jpg (146.3 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg Clown2.jpg (150.1 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Clown3.jpg (154.1 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg Clown4.jpg (164.2 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg Clown5.jpg (152.9 KB, 282 views)
Old 07-22-2021, 01:25 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
Ass hurt, back hurt, overheating.
The mischievous bicycle imp has put MAP handlebar conversion parts in my hands. I’m thinking I will switch my Brooks C15 back to a Pro in an attempt to avoid at least part of your experience.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:39 PM

I went though several bikes over the years for long distance riding. I started with low geometry steel bikes with canvas front bags that I never liked to carbon endurance bikes and race bikes that I prefer.
Coppi.jpg
short brevet fast race bike
Jamis in DC.jpg
C&O canal ride
Jamis in VT.jpg
latest long brevet carbon endurance geo bike
Latest Jamis.jpg
Rack most likely will be removed for a small saddle bag
mongoose.jpg
My first rando bike. Had it also set up with front canvas bag and different low geometry fork
paris brest paris 1.jpg
PBP 2011 ride
paris brest paris 011.jpg
Steel touring bike during 2011 PBP
raleigh.jpg
My sons bike during C&O canal ride
Old 07-22-2021, 01:43 PM

I converted this Peter Mooney to 650B hoping it would be a good randonneuring bike, but it never made the cut and never did a brevet but it is one sweet frame.

Edit: for some reason the image won't upload. Blue Mooney, 7700 Dura-Ace, 28H/32H Hed Belgium Plus with Extra Legere tires. Leather saddle.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:57 PM

Rudawkning, that Rex is a very nice machine. I like the flat bar. It looks like a good bicycle for the long haul, sore bums and backs notwithstanding.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:08 PM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Rudawkning, that Rex is a very nice machine. I like the flat bar. It looks like a good bicycle for the long haul, sore bums and backs notwithstanding.
It's really fun and versatile. I've even thrown 2.1 rear and 2.25 front knobbies on it ridden loads of singletrack. But it was originally conceived as my Custom Luxury Townie (a.k.a. Clownie). The first incarnation had an Alfine Di2 internally geared hub, but it shifted horribly under load so I swapped out the dropout inserts and went XT Di2 which has been flawless.

Steve Rex was super fun to work with and got what I was going for right away. The bike was actually designed around the inverted MAP bars. I wanted the bike to have a "Cafe Racer" vibe to it.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:27 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
my bike has breakaway mounts on the front fender, they just aren't very obvious. I don't know where a Berthoud fender is going to go if the struts let loose though. It's attached to the crown and front rack, so I guess it's not going anywhere. Even with breakaways at the struts, aren't most fenders attached to the fork crown fairly well?
Old 07-22-2021, 02:39 PM

You and Mr. Rex nailed it!

Quote:
Snip

Steve Rex was super fun to work with and got what I was going for right away. The bike was actually designed around the inverted MAP bars. I wanted the bike to have a "Cafe Racer" vibe to it.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:15 PM

The functionality of a purpose-built rando bike goes beyond using it strictly for brevets and long-distance time trials. I'm not that kind of rider but I have one of these bikes anyways because it is so practical with full fenders, integrated lighting and ample cargo capacity.

I've used mine for everything from short rides to touring with a camping load. It's nice to have such versatility without needing to add/remove fenders, fiddle with battery lights and mess with other kludges. She's always ready.

KJ

IMG_8430 by Kieran Joyes, on Flickr
Old 07-23-2021, 08:28 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Steve Rex was super fun to work with and got what I was going for right away.
Steve is a 3-time PBP ancien, and since DBC was once the pre-eminent randonneuring club in the country, there are probably not many U.S. builders whose bikes have more finishes at that event.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:59 AM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Steve is a 3-time PBP ancien, and since DBC was once the pre-eminent randonneuring club in the country, there are probably not many U.S. builders whose bikes have more finishes at that event.
And don't forget about his wife Peg! I see you're N.C. I did Tony Goodnight's Taste Of Carolina 1200k back in 2014. Do you ride with Luke and Ian?
Old 07-23-2021, 09:31 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
I see you're N.C.
I just moved, haven't riddent brevets in a while, and have not met Luke or Ian. Yet.