Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 05:00 PM

If Quinn Simmons is a member of this forum . . .

He should be banned for being a jerk.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/qui...IQ_TIuQ6VPvOok

Quote:
In the roundtable interview on Friday, Simmons stated that his use of the emoji of a Black hand waving, was something that he intended as a joke. He specifically referenced the "Bye, Felicia" meme, which is sometimes used to express disregard or indifference to someone, but originated from the 1995 comedy film ‘Friday'.

"Honestly, I don't know if you've heard of the 'Bye, Felicia' joke from a movie a while back. This isn't the first time that I've seen this, and it is a pretty common joke that I've seen many times on social media before, and something that I've sent to my friends on social media as a joke. I thought it was more well-known, and seen as a joke, and being used, and because that's where I was, and that's what I thought of [at the time of the social media response].

"Honestly, it wasn't even a conversation I had in my head. It was the most recently used emoji colour, because when you type it in, it goes to the most recently used [colour], and I had used it before for the same purpose, and when I went to click on it, that's what it was, and it wasn't even really a thought.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:08 PM

While I agree that his political comments did not represent his team in a positive manner and feel the team had a right to suspend him, the "digital blackface" black hand emoji as an internet meme has been proven to be something more benign than that reported in the article you linked to. I accept his explanation, but not his behavior.

Sponsored athletes DO have a responsibility to police their behavior as it indirectly reflects on those sponsors. It is here the Simmons blew it. Hopefully, as a young athlete he has learned his lesson and will mature.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
While I agree that his political comments did not represent his team in a positive manner and feel the team had a right to suspend him, the "digital blackface" black hand emoji as an internet meme has been proven to be something more benign than that reported in the article you linked to. I accept his explanation, but not his behavior.

Sponsored athletes DO have a responsibility to police their behavior as it indirectly reflects on those sponsors. It is here the Simmons blew it. Hopefully, as a young athlete he has learned his lesson and will mature.
He learned nothing.

Quote:
For me, I don't feel like I deserved the suspension," Simmons told the media. "I realize that I didn't represent the brand in the way that I was supposed to, but to have missed the Classics [in 2020] and, straight up, I'm able to play a big role for the team, and I think to sacrifice that was probably, definitely, not worth it, for myself and the team.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
He learned nothing.
What an embarassing statement.

The pursuit of hatred.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
What an embarassing statement.

The pursuit of hatred.
I’d like to think that we can have a discussion on The Paceline and even express differing viewpoints without leveling ad hominem attacks against those we disagree with. Maybe I’m just misunderstanding your post, and if so I apologize. But I hardly think that Flash’s statement was “embarrassing” or in “pursuit of hatred.”
Old 02-27-2021, 07:39 PM

The whole story

"Simmons took to Twitter on Wednesday in response to a post from cycling journalist and commentator José Been about the upcoming US election whereby she stated: “My dear American friends, I hope this horrible presidency ends for you. And for us as (former?) allies too. If you follow me and support Trump, you can go. There is zero excuse to follow or vote for the vile, horrible, man”, to which Simmons replied “bye” with an emoji of a hand with black skin tone waving.

When Simmons was referred to as a “Trumper” in a reply, he responded: “That’s right” with an emoji of an American flag."

Sounds like it wasn't just because of the black hand, but the context as well.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
"Simmons took to Twitter on Wednesday in response to a post from cycling journalist and commentator José Been about the upcoming US election whereby she stated: “My dear American friends, I hope this horrible presidency ends for you. And for us as (former?) allies too. If you follow me and support Trump, you can go. There is zero excuse to follow or vote for the vile, horrible, man”, to which Simmons replied “bye” with an emoji of a hand with black skin tone waving.

When Simmons was referred to as a “Trumper” in a reply, he responded: “That’s right” with an emoji of an American flag."

Sounds like it wasn't just because of the black hand, but the context as well.
If theres anything worse than a dark emoji, it must certainly be an American flag. Or, is it something else?
Old 02-27-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
If theres anything worse than a dark emoji, it must certainly be an American flag. Or, is it something else?
Some people here seem to hate dancing bananas more than anything.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Sigh do I have to spell it out for you or what
Old 02-27-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Sigh do I have to spell it out for you or what
Oh please do. I just can't imagine what could be a "bad context".
Old 02-27-2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Oh please do. I just can't imagine what could be a "bad context".
You put bad context in quotes but I never said that. Clearly you know what’s going on and are trying to stir stuff up. We all know what happened here so stop acting like you don’t and try to lure people into a stupid argument or whatever you’re trying to do. Whether any of us agree with the decision it happened. Public image is important and home boy isn’t representing their brand.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Okay we’re done
Old 02-27-2021, 08:08 PM

Looks like an online smear against someone you don’t even know combined with a taunt against the mods. Intentionally insulting and certainly divisive.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:26 PM

I will jump in, I actually defended him at first, not that I thought what he did was ok, but I thought ok, who of us didn't do something dumb as a 18 year old, thankfully there was no twitter when I was 18.
However now that is doubling down after I am sure that Trek and others have spoken to him and explained to him the responsibility of being a public figure, the guy deserves any suspensions or firings that will come his way, he is a complete douche
Old 02-27-2021, 08:31 PM

I may be the biggest heathen around but I think many these days could learn from a little bible reading...

"So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

Ain't none of us perfect.
Closed Thread

Tags
folly of youth, locked threads