50 bpm

Welcome to the club!
Old 07-09-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Welcome to the club!
thanks...
Old 07-09-2020, 08:14 AM

You are going to like the chorus 12. The minimal branding is going to look great with that frame. I also think the crankset will look nice. I am a fan of the solid chainring. It visually pairs well with mid depth wheels.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picstloup View Post
Wow great find getting one of those NOS! Post the build when done. You're going to like it!
Old 07-09-2020, 10:54 AM

Looks great, I think you'll love it. And finding one NOS...man, that could be the last one on the planet!
Old 07-09-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Attachment 1698003702

short ps...when first seeing the frame on the internet I really didn't like the dark frame, but damn, no paint, just the silver/black of the carbon fiber under the clear coat and the minimal look of the decals looks really nice in person...
Agree 100% it is quite beautiful & simple in person

Congrats & good luck with your build. No worries about chainring sizes
smaller is the trend Your knees will appreciate it
Old 07-10-2020, 04:46 AM

seat post nm question

Would starting around 5nm for tightening the seat post bolt be about right? Any guidance helpful. There's nothing marked on the collar. Or do I follow nm indicated with seat post?

One question about the headset expander plug. From what I've seen/read, it should sit where the stem is, in that space. So, no go if i don't want to cut the stem right now as I play with position, and the stem on the steerer is quite a bit lower than the area where the expander sits in the steerer, up top. Do I have that right? Kinda wish that area that expands was a bit longer anyway.

Still waiting on parts from two different mail order places. It's the hardest part

I've been toying with the idea of an upgrade to my old bikes, hmmm, maybe just something different, for a while. When this NOS frame came up and i checked size, etc. I just jumped on it.

I'll post pics of the build when I'm done.

I'm kinda thinking to use a silver seat post, though originally I thought it would be black. I have photos of my old Colnago c40 with a silver colnago seat post and it looked really good.

And I did slip the front wheel on my Tommaso into the Look HSC5 fork. It's an old Mavic Open Pro with a 28mm conti 4 season on it. It fit fine with plenty room to spare. Hope the chorus brakes leave enough space to use 28's on the bike. Though I am also thinking to buy the zonda's and put 25mm tires on. That should be comfy.

okokok, later...thanks for all the advice along the way here...really helpful...
M
Old 07-10-2020, 05:16 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Would starting around 5nm for tightening the seat post bolt be about right? Any guidance helpful. There's nothing marked on the collar. Or do I follow nm indicated with seat post?

One question about the headset expander plug. From what I've seen/read, it should sit where the stem is, in that space. So, no go if i don't want to cut the stem right now as I play with position, and the stem on the steerer is quite a bit lower than the area where the expander sits in the steerer, up top. Do I have that right? Kinda wish that area that expands was a bit longer anyway.

Still waiting on parts from two different mail order places. It's the hardest part

I've been toying with the idea of an upgrade to my old bikes, hmmm, maybe just something different, for a while. When this NOS frame came up and i checked size, etc. I just jumped on it.

I'm kinda thinking to use a silver seat post, though originally I thought it would be black. I have photos of my old Colnago c40 with a silver colnago seat post and it looked really good.

And I did slip the front wheel on my Tommaso into the Look HSC5 fork. It's an old Mavic Open Pro with a 28mm conti 4 season on it. It fit fine with plenty room to spare. Hope the chorus brakes leave enough space to use 28's on the bike. Though I am also thinking to buy the zonda's and put 25mm tires on. That should be comfy.

okokok, later...thanks for all the advice along the way here...really helpful...
M
I run 25mm Veloflex Masters on my Reynolds carbon or American Classic alloy wheels, and there is enough clearance for 28s. But I'm happy with the buttery ride of 25s.

Can't wait to see the build!
Old 07-10-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:

M

Where did you find this frame?
Old 07-10-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanghy View Post
Where did you find this frame?
it was on le bon coin here in France...

sent to me from a bike shop with return address in Bar le Duc, it's now a Giant bike shop as far as I can tell...kinda upper north east, not far from Nancy where my wife was born...
Old 07-10-2020, 08:34 AM
Picshooter

As for a seatpost I would suggest a Look Ergopost Mine all come in around 190 grams and I have never had any slippage issues

I found this: Scroll down for the 585

https://www.chrissports.ch/content/f...rts%202009.pdf

8nm is more than I use. I have no slipping problem at 5nm with an Ergopost
Old 07-10-2020, 09:07 AM

I think you can make a silver post work, but not on its own. On my chorus 12 build, I went with a silver seatpost, stem, bars, brakes, and skewers. I didn’t go with the chorus 12 brakes because it’s a cross bike.

On this build, I think it may look great if you went with a silver seatpost, stem, bars, hubs, spokes, skewers. I would stay with black rims to complement the chorus 12 chainrings.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 07-10-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:41 AM
LateStart

Semi-Related Question - Look 595

Any thoughts on a fair price for a well-used Look 595 XXL frame?

13k miles, structurally ok (i expect, will inspect), but cosmetically shows age with scuffs and paint chips.

Inspired by the 'naked' frame earlier in this thread and wondering the fair price for what is a project-frame cosmetically.

John
Old 07-10-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
As for a seatpost I would suggest a Look Ergopost Mine all come in around 190 grams and I have never had any slippage issues

I found this: Scroll down for the 585

https://www.chrissports.ch/content/f...rts%202009.pdf

8nm is more than I use. I have no slipping problem at 5nm with an Ergopost
this info helps a lot, thanks...
Old 07-10-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I think you can make a silver post work, but not on its own. On my chorus 12 build, I went with a silver seatpost, stem, bars, brakes, and skewers. I didn’t go with the chorus 12 brakes because it’s a cross bike.

On this build, I think it may look great if you went with a silver seatpost, stem, bars, hubs, spokes, skewers. I would stay with black rims to complement the chorus 12 chainrings.
you're right...i took another look at my old colnago, hmmm, i should post a pic...the seat post was silver, but so was all of my chorus 10 speed...only the stem and bars were black and they looked good...