Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2022, 06:35 AM

pulling the plug on the season --> one day a switch flipped off

i'd been logging good miles in starting from january 1 on the trainer, season was going well, transitioned to outdoor riding, making plans and looking forward to an eventful season.

then, one day last month, hopped on the bike...rode about a K...turnt around and put up the bike. no desire to ride. none. still following the races, still reading the forum. but no desire to ride at all. zilch. this happened to me before...back in 1995...i've had enforced breaks in between due to injury, so this is probably something i was just due for.

still running to maintains some aerobic condition and actually dusted off my golf clubs after a ~17 year hiatus, which has been a fun and at times painful undertaking -- managed to crack a few ribs! walking/carrying for 18 is actually a decent ~7-mile hike with a "loaded pack".

anyway, we'll see if the itch to pedal comes back later this year...safe riding out there everyone...FORE!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220513_214818.jpg (113.2 KB, 707 views)

Last edited by wallymann; 05-18-2022 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Happens to everyone from time to time, i think. We are not pros, so no need to get out there if it's not what we want to do at the moment.

It's one of the reasons I dont take the winter off-season too seriously at all. I pretty much stay away from the bike and opt for running, rowing and other activities to keep somewhat fit. In that manner, in the Spring I'm ready to get back on the bike. I'd burn out otherwise for sure.

But wait - are you serious that you cracked ribs playing golf??? Is that a normal golf injury? I know nothing about golf!
Old 05-18-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

But wait - are you serious that you cracked ribs playing golf??? Is that a normal golf injury? I know nothing about golf!

He must play Detroit-style golf....kinda like hockey on grass.

Seriously, Wallyman, you're showing that you control the bike, it doesn't control you. That's healthy. As long as you have interest to do other things. I just turned 60 and raced bikes from when I got out of college until age 57. When you step away, you realize how consuming it is, and how some place so much importance on something that really means very little to anyone else.
.......and I recently sold a bike and used the proceeds to buy the latest greatest Callaways.

Last edited by fignon's barber; 05-18-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Nobody should be "surgically joined" to any 'leisure time activity'..supposed to be fun, relaxing rewarding, mind clearing. If it's a chore, no fun, too complicated, a 'job', don't do it...so what. Riding a bike isn't a religion, and neither is golf().

I'm in the same boat, haven't ridden really anything except a few little bounce arounds with grand daughters for about 2 years..

Yup, still watch bike races, yup, still build wheels and yup, still here in the PL jungle but just don't want to ride. No Big Deal...life is too short to force yourself to do something you really don't want to do.

Four! or is it 'Fore'??
Why is it 'Fore'? anyway? Don't play golf...
Old 05-18-2022, 09:40 AM

Quite a few years ago Grant Petersen wrote his opinion that when this happens he suggests that a person get on a bike in "regular" clothes and go for a 10-15 minute ride and then go home. You may at that time feel like riding farther but DON'T! He thought just riding without getting into special clothing, riding with no goals for distance or speed, and quitting before the ride can become a chore or a challenge will make many people look forward to riding another day and probably for more time and distance. Heck, this is how most of my riding is these days.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:13 AM

That is exactly what I did many years ago.....but with golf

No, two solid years for me of non-regular riding. I miss it and I don't.

No shame in quitting the game for a bit and enjoy your diversion.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:14 AM

I sometimes wonder if all the marketing to “buy the bike the pros have” or “the diet plan the pros have” or the “metrics the pros have” actually start to encourage and normalize a mindset of regimented riding and training like the pros instead of actually enjoying the ride. This phenomenon is not exclusive to cycling.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:35 AM
Are you thinking....

In the midst of a similar 'season'

The only problem I have with it is I haven't lost the urge to troll the Classifieds (you're former USPS Ottrott sitting in my garage unbuilt will testify to that).

I've been here before, and it'll pass.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:27 PM

Same happened to me this Feb, haven't ridden since and haven't wanted to. Unfortunately, I have no aerobic options (can't run, play ball, etc. (knee), swim (ick)...). Struggling quite a bit with that.

Looking at my bikes and don't feel guilty at all, time to sell at least some of them I guess.

Good luck and have faith in what your body tells you.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:34 PM

I took almost a year off to finish grad school while working full time. I missed it but after a while it became the new normal. Getting back in shape has been painful. I've lost the weight but at 57, it takes longer to build up fitness.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:38 PM

@Wallymann, I did that two years ago and have been trail running ever since. I'm getting back into riding this year (as in, I haven't *yet*.)

Oh, and for those in New England, the new fall PMC gravel ride looks pretty interesting. I already signed up for a half marathon the same day, first in about four years, so I'll wait until next year for the gravel ride...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-18-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Quite a few years ago Grant Petersen wrote his opinion that when this happens he suggests that a person get on a bike in "regular" clothes and go for a 10-15 minute ride and then go home. You may at that time feel like riding farther but DON'T! He thought just riding without getting into special clothing, riding with no goals for distance or speed, and quitting before the ride can become a chore or a challenge will make many people look forward to riding another day and probably for more time and distance. Heck, this is how most of my riding is these days.
Totally agree with this. Last year all but one of my rides were on my Riv in regular shorts and sneakers.
Totally different feel and objective, i.e. no urge to go fast and/or far, simply being out enjoying the sun and fresh air.
Also partially health driven but at the end it kept me going until the beginning of last week when I pulled out my Kirk and Lycra again to enjoy a few nice fast(er) rides.

Thanks for sharing Wallyman, makes me feel better next time when I think I SHOULD ride, but the 50% chance of rain tells me "yeah, not today".
Old 05-18-2022, 02:00 PM

I have been trying to find my cycling on switch for about 10 years. I do still ride, but a big week is maybe five hours. I'm hoping to get back to regularly riding a significant amount.

I am hoping that it clicks to full "ON" this summer.

I also dip into golf from time to time. About every ten years some switch goes on and I think "I wonder if I can still play". The odd thing about golf is that the older you get the better you use to be. At my age all I remember are the under par rounds now. :-)
Old 05-18-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
when i got back into it, i went gung-ho...but not appreciating how much i'd lost of the strength and resilience in the weird little muscles and connective tissue that are only really taxed by the golf swing.

was taking some big swings out of waterlogged bunkers and cracked some ribs for my efforts! thought it was just return-to-golf soreness, but it was painful enough that i couldnt actually complete a sneeze for a month...pain would stop me cold. i had some scans done for unrelated issues and the doc was like "did you recently fracture some ribs?"
Old 05-18-2022, 02:06 PM

it goes both ways...I had more or less stopped riding regularly and picked up golf as something to do. after a few years of proving on a regular basis that I really had no knack for the game, I was standing on a tee box waiting to hit when I saw 4 guys in a nice tight line ride by the course.

realized that I wanted to be with them, not standing in blazing heat just to demonstrate my crappy hand/eye coordination for the zillionth time.

that was 9 years ago, haven't swung a club since...and no regrets.