Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2022, 04:54 PM

Bon Jon Pass Endurance Experience?

Anybody have feedback on the Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass endurance tire? I’ve been riding the standard version for about three years and really like them, but a sidewall hole has me wondering if I should switch to the endurance model. These would be on my gravel bike that gets ridden mainly on rough pavement and a small bit of gravel. Wondering if I give up any speed or feel if I switch from standard to endurance?
Old 05-17-2022, 05:33 PM
Meh

This is my highly subjective opinion, and only that:

The Endurance casings improve the horrible reliability of RH tires. Both Standard and EL casings in my own experience led to a series of ride ending catastrophic sidewall failures. The ELs are also dubious as tubeless tires at best due to sidewall leakage. Endurance casings also fix this.

However, the tradeoff is that they don’t have quite the same cushy floaty “feel” as the lighter casings, and in the end with the Endurance casing you are paying the very high RH premium for a tire that doesn’t offer much above what much cheaper alternatives have.

Also, the color is shoe-polish brown.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
This is my highly subjective opinion, and only that:

The Endurance casings improve the horrible reliability of RH tires. Both Standard and EL casings in my own experience led to a series of ride ending catastrophic sidewall failures. The ELs are also dubious as tubeless tires at best due to sidewall leakage. Endurance casings also fix this.

However, the tradeoff is that they don’t have quite the same cushy floaty “feel” as the lighter casings, and in the end with the Endurance casing you are paying the very high RH premium for a tire that doesn’t offer much above what much cheaper alternatives have.

Also, the color is shoe-polish brown.
This 100%.

I completely agree.

If you're going to get the Endurance casing, just get yourself some GravelKings for <$40 per tire.

SPP
Old 05-17-2022, 06:12 PM

I am a Rene Herse/Compass/Grand Bois tire fan but I can say without a doubt that the endurance casing Bon Jon Pass was one of the worst tires I have ever owned. I hated them so much I sold them after about five rides.

They tires were stiff, harsh and did not have that signature feel of the Rene Herse tire family. It was disappointment but it was part of the learning process of what kind of tires I like and dislike so all was not lost.

I played with air pressure so much to try and make these tires work but to no avail. Even on well packed gravel, I felt beat up after a ride. Nothing seem to work.

The tires I ended up replacing them with were Pumpkin Ridges on my 650 rims. Even on pavement the knobby tires feel better than the JBP tires ever did.

With that said my criteria for tires maybe different than yours and they may well work for you. For me, they are a pass and I will never purchase an endurance casing for the riding I do.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:03 PM

Thanks all for the feedback. I appreciate it. Sounds like I should pass on the bon Jon pass endurance tires. The Gravel King slick 35s seem like they could be a good fit but I’m having a hard time finding the tan sidewalls in stock.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbh View Post
Thanks all for the feedback. I appreciate it. Sounds like I should pass on the bon Jon pass endurance tires. The Gravel King slick 35s seem like they could be a good fit but I’m having a hard time finding the tan sidewalls in stock.
FWIW I picked up a pair of 35mm tan wall GK slicks by posting a WTB here...

Last edited by dolface; 05-17-2022 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:55 PM

Bieksmiths appears to have them in stock. A 2-pack is $89.
https://www.thebikesmiths.com/collec...31278478000192

Not affiliated but I've bought stuff from them before.