Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2022, 07:21 PM

The End of Era in Acquiring Bikes

I’ve gone through various stages with having multiple bicycles and have been accused of having an unreasonable number of bikes. Last week I received the last bike/frameset I will be acquiring for several years. I have two built for me steel framesets (one fillet brazed/electronic/disc and one lugged/mechanical/rim brake) to build up, so I won’t be done spending money on bike stuff. I feel like I’ve hit the end of an era in terms of acquiring things. It’s a satisfyingly odd feeling of no longer really wanting anything I don’t have. I’ve even recently passed on a 3Rensho and Merckx MX Leader in my size, even though are both sort of bucket list bikes for me. I’m feeling pretty certain the next group I be will be a (Campagnolo of course) mechanical group.

This is also a plug to buy what I'm selling in the classifieds. The bikes I'm selling is really nice and deserves more riding time than they will get from me.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:49 PM

Its a good ending.
Once you get a great custom bike its hard to want more .
Old 05-16-2022, 07:53 PM

Your fs bikes are very nice, small bikes ste both hsrd to find and to sell. I had an mxl Motorola in “ our” size and you’re not missing anything, rode like black iron pipe when less than 54-56

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2022, 08:06 PM

I'm at N=8-10, depending how you count. I'm still browsing eBay and CL, but more and more I'm wondering how one of those potential new-to-me bikes would be noticeably better than what I already have.

That said, I could still pick up / build up another 4-5 without too much trouble justifying it.

I'm getting closer, but I'm not there yet...
Old 05-16-2022, 08:22 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
Last week I received the last bike/frameset I will be acquiring for several years.
Ha! Famous last words...

I wonder how many times over the years Michael Embacher said the exact same thing...

Last edited by Louis; 05-16-2022 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Last week I received the last bike/frameset I will be acquiring for several years.
Get back to us in one year.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:51 PM

Good for you! I feel the same way with only one more on the way (just happens to be an mxleader)

Never say never.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Get back to us in one year.
I already know that next one I would want if I were want such a thing and Nick C's build queue is full anyway. That would also definitely commit me to selling something I really like first before making that commitment.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:26 PM

I'm at a point where I've ridden a fair amount of great bikes and I've kept what I like and I rotate the rides so pretty much all my bikes are ridden regularly. I'm thinking of adding 1 more to the stable and then start selling off what gets the least miles. It seems like every year, there's new toys that come along, so we'll see.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:43 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtHZn5X5bXM

My liege.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:58 PM

Uh-huh. You go tell yourself that.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:58 AM

Smile

Quote:
I’ve gone through various stages with having multiple bicycles and have been accused of having an unreasonable number of bikes. Last week I received the last bike/frameset I will be acquiring for several years. I have two built for me steel framesets (one fillet brazed/electronic/disc and one lugged/mechanical/rim brake) to build up, so I won’t be done spending money on bike stuff. I feel like I’ve hit the end of an era in terms of acquiring things. It’s a satisfyingly odd feeling of no longer really wanting anything I don’t have. I’ve even recently passed on a 3Rensho and Merckx MX Leader in my size, even though are both sort of bucket list bikes for me. I’m feeling pretty certain the next group I be will be a (Campagnolo of course) mechanical group.

This is also a plug to buy what I'm selling in the classifieds. The bikes I'm selling is really nice and deserves more riding time than they will get from me.

Good on you, apparently it takes 21 days to break an addiction.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:07 AM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post
Good on you, apparently it takes 21 days to break an addiction.
Is that all?

I debated whether or not I should put the top image in the "Legalized Weed" thread, but decided that it fits here just fine...

Last edited by Louis; 05-17-2022 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:24 AM

I can relate and am in the process of figuring out what is about to go and what I will keep in terms of bikes and parts. I have amassed a bunch of extra bike stuff. Some of it will be useful down the road and some will never be used by me again!

I have been riding mountain bikes for the past few months whether it be on a fat bike, hardtail or newly acquired full suspension and really enjoying it! Now it is getting nice out, so the new gravel bike has seen a few rides and my new road bike has been out a few times as well. I am content with what is here and certainly do not need or really lust after anything at this stage. It is a pretty satisfying feeling.

Winter boredom usually brings about a bike restructuring and I tend to rebuild the existing bikes while buying and building a bunch of new stuff as well. Spring comes and some riding usually hashes out the keepers for the season. I am going to try to make it through the next year or two without any more frameset purchases and just enjoy the ride!
Old 05-17-2022, 07:19 AM
Administrator

For me, the real final shift has fully occurred. I don't believe there is a single new bike on the market that interests me. I cant see myself buying a new bike from any of the major mfgs again.

I've been down this road enough times to know never to say never though. That and of course if a grailish bike like a kirk, peg, firefly, etc in my size floats into my radar of course I would be tempted, and I can see getting another custom or two somewhere down the road, but i've got plenty of bikes in the current stable to keep me content for a long while.