Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2022, 02:01 PM

I've been generally pretty negative on SRAM Road (I had a first gen Rival group that was OK but fell apart really fast and a 2nd or 3rd gen Rival that had terrible shifting). I always found the SRAM road rim brakes to be excellent though.

But their MTB stuff has been REALLY good to me.

I don't even know how old the X.0 9-speed is on my old MTB. It want to say maybe 14 years? It works perfectly and it's by far and away the lowest maintenance of any group I've ever had. That bike is so old at this point the jockey wheels on the rear derailleur are almost gone and the chain rings are heavily shark toothed. I can't actually change the wheels because I tore down the derailleur so many times to clean stuff that some of the bolts are damaged and it doesn't seem worth it to drill them out and try to replace them. Cables haven't been changed in 5+ years. It still shifts perfectly.

I dare say that ancient abused X.0 shifts better than the Eagle NX/GX on the brand new MTB I just got. But that may just be the 10-50 cassette on the new 1x 12 speed stuff. That cassette is "challenging" for the derailleur. But the gear ratios on Eagle are telepathically perfect for the terrain where I live. The 1X is a quantum leap there. Just exactly the right range of gears. The maturation/development there is impressive.

And I think SRAM gets it on disc brakes where I'm skeptical of what Big S does there. I have also had pretty good luck with the RockShox products after SRAM bought them. My old MTB has a Monarch RL on that is now 10 years old and has never needed maintenance or repairs.

I haven't rode AXS but I'd be way more likely to be AXS on my Domane when the time comes rather than Di2/Ui2 whatever Shimano is pushing at that time. That bike has mechanical Ultegra on it, if mechanical Ultegra & 105 are gone and compatibility is a disaster I won't stick with Shimano.

SRAM chains have been good IMO too.

Last edited by benb; 05-17-2022 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:51 PM

"Campy loyalist rides SRAM, doesn't die"

Ever? I'll switch.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:21 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
"Campy loyalist rides SRAM, doesn't die"

Ever? I'll switch.
I have heard that Ponce de Leon was a SRAM aficionado … way ahead of his time.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I have heard that Ponce de Leon was a SRAM aficionado … way ahead of his time.
True but he has been dead for 500 years. Apparently the Fountain of Youth was filled with DOT 5 brake fluid which didn't agree with him, or go well with tapas.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:04 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
True but he has been dead for 500 years.
That's just what big pharma wants you to believe. Actually he rides a sweet lugged carbon Serotta and swears by the benefits of TJ's organic lemonade.

And his hair is perfect.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
That's just what big pharma wants you to believe. Actually he rides a sweet lugged carbon Serotta and swears by the benefits of TJ's organic lemonade.

And his hair is perfect.
Where the heck's the like button?
Old 05-18-2022, 02:41 AM

+1
Old 05-18-2022, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
True but he has been dead for 500 years. Apparently the Fountain of Youth was filled with DOT 5 brake fluid which didn't agree with him, or go well with tapas.
genuinely lol'd. Chapeau.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:44 PM

I just picked up a used 2021 Scott Addict with SRAM Force AXS 2x12. And I have to admit that I’m not completely blown away by the system as much as I thought I would be. To clarify, The bike is in fantastic condition and the parts are in excellent shape with low miles.

Like others said, on paper it’s a great concept. I actually really like the shift logic and the layout of the paddles. Wireless is brilliant as far as set up. (Frankly, I really don’t understand why we’re not already running disc brakes by wire with little hydraulic reservoirs at the calipers now that component makers have made the leap to electronic shifting). That’s a different thread though, I’m sure.

Now, I’ve been riding Campy on most of my bikes since my teens. This is the late 80s. My first Campy group was the original Athena kit. My most recent bike before the Scott was a Serotta with 2010 Campy Record 11speed. I bought it around 2011 and still have it for comparison. Full disclosure is I’m a Campy fan and still love the Record group set. It’s still fast and clean shifting, braking is tight and the drivetrain is dead quiet, (not withstanding the magical buzz from the freehub body).

The Force group set has worked flawlessly since I got it. So no complaints. However, I just don’t feel it’s as refined or dialed in precise as my older Campy Record group. The SRAM drive train seems to make more noise and has more friction while riding. I have to say that I can fully chalk it up to still learning the nuances of the group and getting it dialed in perfectly. But I can’t get past that my initial impression is that it’s just not as buttery smooth. Waiting to put on more miles before passing complete judgement though.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz4231 View Post
I just picked up a used 2021 Scott Addict with SRAM Force AXS 2x12. And I have to admit that I’m not completely blown away by the system as much as I thought I would be. To clarify, The bike is in fantastic condition and the parts are in excellent shape with low miles.

Like others said, on paper it’s a great concept. I actually really like the shift logic and the layout of the paddles. Wireless is brilliant as far as set up. (Frankly, I really don’t understand why we’re not already running disc brakes by wire with little hydraulic reservoirs at the calipers now that component makers have made the leap to electronic shifting). That’s a different thread though, I’m sure.

Now, I’ve been riding Campy on most of my bikes since my teens. This is the late 80s. My first Campy group was the original Athena kit. My most recent bike before the Scott was a Serotta with 2010 Campy Record 11speed. I bought it around 2011 and still have it for comparison. Full disclosure is I’m a Campy fan and still love the Record group set. It’s still fast and clean shifting, braking is tight and the drivetrain is dead quiet, (not withstanding the magical buzz from the freehub body).

The Force group set has worked flawlessly since I got it. So no complaints. However, I just don’t feel it’s as refined or dialed in precise as my older Campy Record group. The SRAM drive train seems to make more noise and has more friction while riding. I have to say that I can fully chalk it up to still learning the nuances of the group and getting it dialed in perfectly. But I can’t get past that my initial impression is that it’s just not as buttery smooth. Waiting to put on more miles before passing complete judgement though.
Forgot to mention that the Campy ergonomics are superior in my opinion.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Excepting my old MTB, all my bikes have been Campy
Now that's just intellectual laziness....the Campy OR group is pretty good.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-17-2022, 01:24 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

As one who loved 10-speed Campagnolo, I'd appreciate a version of this shirt with the Campagnolo logo and "non-innovative bicycle components"
Old 06-17-2022, 03:37 PM
Kind of OK

I went witn Force on my SuperX because I couldn't find Campy disc brakes during the Covid blackout. I was very pleasantly surprised. I actually prefer the hood shape on the Force disc. The stuff works well.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
As one who loved 10-speed Campagnolo, I'd appreciate a version of this shirt with the Campagnolo logo and "non-innovative bicycle components"
Hmmm...Campagnolo..first to 9s(1997), then first to 10s(2000), then first to 11s(2009)...First to 12s(2019) and now only 1by 13s.
First with large scale carbon components..something shimano has never embraced but sram...with both feet.

NOT saying 'more speeds' or 'carbon' is the answer to anything but if anything, except for wireless(great for new bike build, after that-meh), sram has been the follower....
Old 06-18-2022, 08:36 AM
what's a little rust?

I was wondering if that post would bug you, OP …

I remain a big fan of Campagnolo. Just enjoying its role on the tradition side of the never ending argument.