Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2022, 10:47 AM

Hope makes some really nice looking and light weight silver cranks, although they are a little spendy. If it doesnt have to be compact the Bontrager cranks are really nice. I picked up a Sram Rival 10 speed last year for a build.

Old 05-15-2022, 10:51 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post

Pin in outter ring hit crank arm? It is there so you won't lodge the chain between the arm and ring.... I have file them when that happens. FWIW
Old 05-15-2022, 03:15 PM

Shimano R700 if you can find one.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:12 PM

Hope and SRAM...

Yea, I agree on the Hope RX crankset in silver, but I can't find anywhere to buy one? Does anyone know?

Also, yes, I like the SRAM rival 10 speed silver. I'll keep looking for one of those.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 05-15-2022, 04:55 PM

I think the TA Carmina looks great. This is the model with the integrated spider, but there are other models with interchangeable spiders if you are into swapping. Of course it uses a square taper bottom bracket , in ISO, but that has the advantage of being far more standardized….and silent… Another advantage is that it is perfectly compatible with the TA bottom bracket which is beautiful component.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EC5A7C17-70A7-4272-AF18-4C5C1A2BE2DE.jpeg (49.6 KB, 196 views)
Old 05-15-2022, 06:28 PM

Silver option

It was mentioned here and I just want to emphasis that this crank is a SRAM 3 bolt mount so you have a good amount of option on how you configure the chainrings. It does allow for the SRAM 110bcd spider for traditional compact gearing. We also make and should have in stock soon the sub compact option and lastly the Ogle Components chainring set up is also compatible. Obviously the single ring options are endless. Here is an image of the polished silver crank arms.

-Drew
Old 05-15-2022, 07:24 PM

Beautiful cranks, thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
I think the TA Carmina looks great. This is the model with the integrated spider, but there are other models with interchangeable spiders if you are into swapping. Of course it uses a square taper bottom bracket , in ISO, but that has the advantage of being far more standardized….and silent… Another advantage is that it is perfectly compatible with the TA bottom bracket which is beautiful component.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:04 PM

I run the Carminas on two bikes and they are stiff and silent when paired with a TA, Phil or SKF BB, all square taper. The Stronglight rings are silent and wear like iron. Peter White knows his way around TAs and I found him helpful (in that lovely, cranky New Hampshire way.)
Old 05-15-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
Shimano R700 if you can find one.

I have two R600s - a good secondhand option.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:36 PM

I think this is a great thread. In the interest of archival purposes and to have a lot of pretty cranks in the same thread, even though it's square taper, I'd be remiss if someone didn't mention the New Albion cranks. They use the old Sugino mold and are affordable. We use them on a lot of shop builds because they come with a wide range of chainring options suitable for touring as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2022, 11:41 PM

Like the look of the New Albions also. I"ve wondered about their quality. Everyone feel free to add more square taper options, if there are any more out there. It's great learning about all these cranksets! Much appreciated!
Old 05-16-2022, 04:08 AM

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 7.07.04 pm copy.jpg
Old 05-16-2022, 06:35 AM

On the subject of TA….I think it is great that the company that first made an aluminum alloy chainring is still in business…and they were one of the first to make a “ compact silver crankset” …the Pro5. I can recall at least four times when the company discontinued the model only to be persuaded to reintroduce it a few years later due to continued demand. It’s a great company…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A4A513CF-0842-43CD-96B8-027C8BF0DE42.jpeg (50.8 KB, 140 views)
Old 05-16-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
On the subject of TA….I think it is great that the company that first made an aluminum alloy chainring is still in business…and they were one of the first to make a “ compact silver crankset” …the Pro5. I can recall at least four times when the company discontinued the model only to be persuaded to reintroduce it a few years later due to continued demand. It’s a great company…
They make great chainrings. I still have the original TA cranks that I had on my Bob Jackson in 1972, these were called Cyclotouriste back then. I ran a 48-34 (the original compact crankset!). I will say that these are the most flexy cranks I have ever ridden. Mine are set up as a single ring on my Raleigh 20 (old 5 speed dual trigger Sturmey Archer hub in the back). Sheldon Brown ran his with a 48-28 or 26 and always seemed to manage that without dropping the chain on the downshift
Old 05-16-2022, 09:09 AM

I had good luck de-finishing an FSA Energy crank, but you can do this with any AL crankset. You can even leave the some of the logos on it. THe rings are a little harder because of the detail. This would be a good project for a used used crankset.

You need to remove two things from the crank -
1) Paint - aircraft paint stripper
2) Anodized finish - oven cleaner

Then you polish with a polishing kit ($15 on amazon) and a dremel tool.

The anodized finish is the deep gloss stuff. You can remove it without removing the paint if you want. The polishing kit will also leave most of the logos as they are softer than the metal.

Rings on the bike were polished