Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2022, 05:46 PM

I can’t tell from the pic how severe the slope is, but I ve found that anything with real sidehill is a dry grass proposition only. That means no am moisture, and even dry grass can be an issue if the soil beneath is wet.
Thank goodness the azaleas stop me, or I was going over a bank that size into pool and spa heaters, 3 pumps and filters. And I know better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2022, 06:25 PM

Glad you're OK. That's the hard way of getting out of yard work!

So, how much via Shipbikes? Cub Z series is just what I'm looking for.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I'm imagining this picture on a craigslist for sale ad soon.

"Zero Turn Mower, Excellent Condition. This thing has been flawless, but is just a lot more mower than I need for my lawn."
That’s your best line yet! 😂😂😂
Old 05-16-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
That’s your best line yet! 😂😂😂
Absolute tank this thing. The drop popped off one of the rear tires. Took it in and they reset the bead and the mower is working again. How in the heck does it take a tumble like that with zero damage?

I need to check the blades and everything else out on it before it goes back into service. Decided I might just have to push mow the incline of death. There is another steep slope that has the dogs fence in the middle of it that is also impossible to mow with this thing.

I used my floor jack to lift it and scooted it to driveway, then put a dolly under the flat wheel and pushed it to the garage. They don’t push well, even with the wheels unlocked.

No real good pics of the slope, but you can see the retaining wall here in the top pic above the roof and left of the chimney where it dropped:

Old 05-16-2022, 08:55 PM
Boeuf Chane

That sure is some contrasting styles of architecture...
Old 05-16-2022, 10:04 PM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I'm imagining this picture on a craigslist for sale ad soon.

"Zero Turn Mower, Excellent Condition. This thing has been flawless, but is just a lot more mower than I need for my lawn."
“Optional bagger”
Old 05-17-2022, 12:23 AM

Holy toledo! Count your lucky stars, amigo! Man that could have been ugly. But, it wasn't.

That's a tough spot to run grass up to the edge with that kind of dropoff and no visual cue. Dangerous, really. Especially if you don't have any low voltage or other lighting to identify "the cliff."

(Even though you'd likely never go there at night, ya never know...)

In former home I had a pretty good slope on one side of property that, foolishly, I often cut laterally as well as on an angle now & then when I was motivated to do a baseball field pattern. The angle of hill and how I had to "hang" on one side of mower to balance the weight was comical (picture motorcycle knee dragging into the hillside)....and neighbors thought I was nuts. It's a miracle I never rolled it.

Here's a suggestion: do yourself a favor and hand mow (with a regular push mower!) that section at least 3-4' wide down to a couple inches (short enough to burn and kill the grass), cover it with some weed fabric, let that sit a week so it cooks everything underneath and it dies, then create a nice 3' - 4' wide lip with a couple inches depth of river rock and Suncast (or similar) plastic edging to keep things neat & tidy. Pick your size of rock, the smaller (~2" diameter) is easier to rake and put down quickly, the bigger takes more time to individually place. I'd guesstimate that to be around 80' total length, so you'd need about 3.5 or so cubic yards of material depending on depth. And maybe plant every 10' or so some nice native grasses that gives even more visual cue, and is flowing & possibly seasonally flowering. Something like these:

I did this on a stretch of yard that ran about 200' or so. Worked wonders, and the plus side is I never had to take care of it other than squirting some occasional weed killer on whatever was hearty enough to pop thru fabric and rock.

Also, go buy a lottery ticket!

p.s. nice pad.

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-17-2022 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:46 AM
Tired Member

If it hasn't been said: keep the rubber side down

Glad you're OK.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:43 AM

Regardless of what you do cutting/plant wise you need a fence at the top of that retaining wall.