Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Wow you guys must have made out like bandits with all of your short positions since you saw this coming so easily.
That would have been the smart thing to do, but no. The ability to accurately guess an outcome doesn't always translate to acting on those predictions in an effective manner.

Texbike
Old 01-21-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Lol! That video is funny!

I'm not a fan of Vail Resorts AT ALL. They've taken a moderately expensive sport and made it stupid expensive if you want to ski at any of the mountains they own.

Ugh.

Texbike
I am not a big fan of Vail either but their discount of the epic local passes this season made it worthwhile for us to go skiing in CO over the holidays...
Old 01-21-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Thinking something similar will eventually zap Vail Resorts, a publicly traded company can only hinge so much growth on selling season passes to do something difficult before things go pear shaped. Skiing is hard and so is riding a bike

50 ski resorts can easily burn through cash reserves if there's a blip

Their latest aquisition, look for the person on the struggle bus

https://mobile.twitter.com/7springsp...69156115288065
That's great video. My peanut gallery impression is Vail Resorts will be fine. People are always gonna ski and even the lean times there's a solid core of consumers willing to shell out a lot of cash. Maybe with climate change though, east coast resorts maybe a dicier prospect?

Long time ago I was friends with a member of the family that originally owned 7 Springs. Checking it out. looks like they sold out in 2006. It was definitely a quaint, everyone knows everyone kind of place back then (mid 90's). I'm sure it's quite different now.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:36 AM
Vendor

It's not surprising this is happening. Peloton has been plagued with issues since the start almost.

~1 exec embezzled almost $10 million.
~their pedal recall
~big expansion and opening of spin studios right before the pandemic hit
~spin studios stiffing them for product
~pandemic ship/materials shortage
~and of course the latest with Mr. Big and Sex and the City where he dies right after using it.

I see this as a normal thing, just sucks that people who invested are getting f'ed now.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:36 AM

This has been a pretty terrible winter so far for east coast skiing/riding.

We keep having insanely warm days (40+) and then some really cold days mixed in making for bad snow conditions. Most places would be totally closed without snowmaking, and they have to do everything they can to keep the thaw/freeze cycles from wrecking the snow quality.

Climate does not look good here for winter sports.

It's been a really obnoxious winter here... lots of rain & water around too.. it's like extended mud season with all your salt & chemicals on the road. I have been avoiding doing biking cause it's not really winter. 35-40 degrees with rain is so miserable on a bike.

Not that any of that would get me on a Peloton and paying those fees.

Last edited by benb; 01-21-2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:10 AM

I get the peloton subscription included with where I live and we have a few bikes in the gym. The bikes are always in disrepair, clearly can’t take consistent usage, often enough where my wife who loves the classes switched to their iPad app and rides Schwinn bikes in the spin studio instead.

I use their app on the Apple TV to do yoga and find them excellent…much better than any I’ve previously used.

I personally would never pay the monthly fee by choice. I’ll miss them though.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
What will be the next niche bike concept to be overmarketed? Ice ebikes? Water bikes?
Texbike
Fat bikes.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Fat bikes.
Top tubes that slope down toward the head tube. Oh, and gussets. Definitely gussets.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:36 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . figure out why anyone is surprised by this. I called it within a few months of the pandemic start. They're gonna sell a million of 'em and then after the pandemic is over you'll be able to find them out by the curb in the rich neighborhoods with "free" signs on them.

BBD
And I'll bet you're going to be able to find a ton of real bikes that were bought in 2020 and are now getting dusty and a little rusty in garages.
Old 01-22-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
It's not surprising this is happening. Peloton has been plagued with issues since the start almost.

~their pedal recall
~and of course the latest with Mr. Big and Sex and the City where he dies right after using it.

I see this as a normal thing, just sucks that people who invested are getting f'ed now.
He's Alive[edit]
wikipedia:
In response to the stock of Peloton dropping following the airing of the And Just Like That... pilot episode featuring Big's death, the company's marketing department contacted Noth and Ryan Reynolds to film a sequel commercial for Peloton over the following 48 hours. In the commercial, titled He's Alive, Big is revealed to have faked his death in order to run away with his mistress, before inviting her for a duel Peloton workout, as Reynolds narrates, confirming that "He's Alive."[4] The ad was later removed due to sexual assault allegations against Noth.[5][6
Old 01-22-2022, 06:49 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
And I'll bet you're going to be able to find a ton of real bikes that were bought in 2020 and are now getting dusty and a little rusty in garages.
Not that we've seen, judging by the traffic we get from customers who've recently purchased bikes. It's not complete, by any means, but a good number of people have found they like riding outdoors better than working out indoors.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

That's the correct thing to do: the LAST thing you should cut is your advertising.
And with media commitments six months to a year out...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-22-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
The problem with most stationary exercise equipment is it’s one purchase for life, or maybe if you’re really into the activity, one or two upgrades in 20 years. 75% probably only used for a few months. The subscriptions are somewhat of a game changer over, say, traditional rollers, but still, nowhere near the cash flow of the original hardware sales.
It's the consumables...pedals, shoes, pedals, limited edition P-jackets.

Even Bowflex figured that out -- the rods look like a bent carrot after a while and have to be replaced.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-22-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post

~their pedal recall

Don't forget the child who died in an accident with a Peloton Tread+ treadmill, and how reluctant the company was to issue a recall after the CPSC had warned against using it: https://abcnews.go.com/US/child-dies...ry?id=76539099.

Then there was the data leak: https://techcrunch.com/2021/05/05/pe...unt-data-leak/.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:08 PM

Everyone has to have a life lesson as a result of a little too much time in the Foggy Goggle Those days are over as 7 Springs is Vails latest addition, Yinzers are going to invade the west

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
That's great video. My peanut gallery impression is Vail Resorts will be fine. People are always gonna ski and even the lean times there's a solid core of consumers willing to shell out a lot of cash. Maybe with climate change though, east coast resorts maybe a dicier prospect?

Long time ago I was friends with a member of the family that originally owned 7 Springs. Checking it out. looks like they sold out in 2006. It was definitely a quaint, everyone knows everyone kind of place back then (mid 90's). I'm sure it's quite different now.