Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2022, 04:08 PM

White Industries for numbies

So let me explain..

I run Rival on all my bikes since Shimano doesn't agree with my hands and Campy doesn't agree with my brakes.

I'm fat and a utility cyclist so function and reliability is far more important than anything.

My fast bike (read Cross Check) with all kinds of boutique components clicks on hills. It turns out that the clicking comes from an ill fiting SRAM crank and CK bottom bracket.

===

Edit

Since this is my DD I'm inclined to throw money at the problem so I ordered an eno w/BB since I really need this bike to work.

It’s a forum so here’s the bike

Last edited by Germany_chris; 05-17-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:41 PM

does the SRAM crank have a 30mm spindle? The typical GXP spindle is 24mm tapering to 22mm for the non-drive side. and SRAM also makes 30mm spindles for BB30, and what they call DUB.

The White Industries ENO crank is square taper, so you'll need a square taper bottom bracket. The other WhiteInd cranks are 30mm spindle and they also make a BSA bottom bracket that is compatible with them.

So, it's possible as long as you have a 30mm spindle crank already.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:50 PM

White Industries for numbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by v531xc View Post
does the SRAM crank have a 30mm spindle? The typical GXP spindle is 24mm tapering to 22mm for the non-drive side. and SRAM also makes 30mm spindles for BB30, and what they call DUB.

The White Industries ENO crank is square taper, so you'll need a square taper bottom bracket. The other WhiteInd cranks are 30mm spindle and they also make a BSA bottom bracket that is compatible with them.

So, it's possible as long as you have a 30mm spindle crank already.
I have a pair of the CK adapter kits that adapts GXP to CK...

I just removed the crank and the teflon drive side spacer was worn which gave me the clicking sound. I've replaced the teflon washer and ordered a square taper WI crankset.

The reality is this bike is my car and I no chit need it to work so money really isn't an issue

Last edited by Germany_chris; 05-17-2022 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:52 PM

No.

White Industries ENO cranks are square taper only so you need a square taper bottom bracket, which is not something King makes.

Even if you used another White Industries crank, like the "R30" it wouldn't fit the same Chris King bottom bracket that fits a SRAM GXP crank. You are most likely using a Threadfit 24 bottom bracket currently and would need a Threadfit 30 bottom bracket for cranks like the the White Industries R30.

I think the best solution is a Shimano crank. This way you can use the same King Threadfit 24 BB you have, but just change the insert.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:15 PM
Sunshine

Sometimes(often?) boutique isn't better, it's just more expensive.
Shimano? SRAM? Praxis? FSA? If reliability is premium(it should be for everyone, really) then just use a crank and bottom bracket that fit your frame and never think about it until a couple years from now at earliest.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Sometimes(often?) boutique isn't better, it's just more expensive.
Shimano? SRAM? Praxis? FSA? If reliability is premium(it should be for everyone, really) then just use a crank and bottom bracket that fit your frame and never think about it until a couple years from now at earliest.
This. Dura Ace bottom bracket is relatively inexpensive, light enough and just works.