Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2022, 12:16 PM

Well I'm not an engineer, in fact, I'm the one the engineers are trained to make fun of at university. Yep, I'm an artsy.

BUT... as 'luck' would have it, I strangely know and am friends with an inordinate number of engineers, including my 91 year old father-in-law (who is also racist and misogynistic but I put that down to growing up in the times before Christ).

Every engineer I know who rides is amused by Hambini and no one I know questions whether he's an engineer or not. The fact that he picks away at BS marketing claims and disproves them makes me like him, despite his being a five year old.

In small doses he's funny AF, but I only watch a handful of his videos a year if it looks like he's going to roast a brand I don't like or address BS marketing that seemed fishy to me too.

Also, if his research was crap, he would have been shut down long ago by companies like Cervelo. I don't think he's spent a day in court so he can carry on, doing five year old engineering sh ite.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Bianchi View Post
... no one I know questions whether he's an engineer or not.
Putting aside the personality issues, the question isn't whether or not he's an engineer, it's whether or not his analysis is correct.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Putting aside the personality issues, the question isn't whether or not he's an engineer, it's whether or not his analysis is correct.
It did come up in a previous comment, but my engineering friends don't question it. Certainly being a student of bottom brackets myself, I've done a lot of research and find what Hambini typically concludes is correct, and his BBs are the dogs bollocks, by all accounts.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Bianchi View Post
It did come up in a previous comment, but my engineering friends don't question it. Certainly being a student of bottom brackets myself, I've done a lot of research and find what Hambini typically concludes is correct, and his BBs are the dogs bollocks, by all accounts.
I will say as a non-engineer who watches his videos, he seems to be most knowledgeable around issues of bearings, measurement, tolerances, etc. He seems to be less knowledgeable around other areas like aerodynamics. Which is not to say that he is necessarily wrong about those other areas, but it seems like there's a mix of areas where he is speaking from deep personal expertise, and areas where he is speaking with a more general expertise.

I can relate, I'm an economist, but I'm not a macroeconomist. I've taken coursework in the subject, and certainly know more than the general population, but if an economist who's worked for the Federal Reserve for a decade heard me talk, she'd consider me an amateur. Doesn't mean I'm not an economist, just like it doesn't mean that Hambini isn't an engineer, but both are very broad fields, and no one can be an expert in everything.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
If that's all he did, I would be a lot happier to watch his videos. I certainly don't mind obscenities and displaying the mentality of a 5 year old. I have some amount of confidence that he knows what he is talking about as far as bearings go and I have done engineering work related to measuring bearing performance.

People upthread have said what the problem is and it's not his technical videos.
I know what was said upthread, I do not care.

I was responding specifically to the question why he is taken seriously and it is very simply that nobody else does thorough and independent analysis of bogus marketing drivel and slams it.

I also happen to believe his turbulent aerodynamics stuff. Spend a lot of time at 30-35 mph on a recumbent. Do field tests in calm conditions and then do field tests in turbulent road conditions. His much scoffed wheel thread explained to me what I was seeing and trying to understand for almost a year. SO, I believe it. I don't care what they say about him over on ST or here.

As I said, he has the potty mouth of a soccer hooligan. Language does not offend me.