Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2022, 10:21 AM

OT: Progressive readers

Does anyone who need only reading glasses use Progressives? I am wondering if they are worth it? I currently wear clic's but find myself more and more glasses up glasses down type of scenario
Thanks All
Old 05-16-2022, 12:03 PM

I use progressives for reading and computer distance only (no top end, distance adjustment needed). They work great, but for some reasons, many opticians fail to 'get it'. They hear progressives and they immediately knee-jerk to reading-computer-distance. Once you get the optician on board, they're perfect...
Old 05-16-2022, 12:21 PM

I had cataract surgery in 2018 so I don't need correction for far vision. The glasses I use for close-up have reading correction (about 14 inches) at the bottom, computer correction (about 21 inches) in the middle, and nothing at the top. I don't know whether that makes them progressive. They were pricey, but they're really excellent.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:31 PM

I use progressive lenses for everything. And for a long time.
Old 05-16-2022, 12:35 PM

my long distance vision is great its just the readers I might give them a try
Old 05-16-2022, 02:07 PM
Randomhead

I was going to get readers after I got cataract surgery, but my old glasses work great as readers. I still might get prescription safety glasses.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:09 PM

Even after cataract surgery on both eyes I still need a wee bit of correction for distance at least partly due to astigmatism so I still have full progressive lenses. Even if I had 20/20 uncorrected I would still want progressive reader just as much as I wanted them after 10 years of bi-focals way back when I was young-ish.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:36 PM
Rockstruck

I did not like progressives, at all. I had a pair and used them woodworking--hand planing a piece of wood. I looked through the new glasses and was like WTH have I done here? The peripheral distortion makes it a no-go for me. My next pair are on going to be the DUAL glasses, the PL sponsor above.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:41 PM

My distance vision is fine, but I got tired of taking on/off readers for closer work. I got progressives. Wouldn't trade them for the world.

The trick is to get the reader portion in the right spot on the lens so you're not staring down at the tip of your nose when using the reader portion.

Your optometrist can locate the reader anywhere on the lens where it's most comfortable/ the least strain. My optometrist immediately understood my complaint and got it right. And it's in my file too, so whenever the prescription changes, they know exactly where to locate the reader portion.

And the transition from far to near on the lens is seamless.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:54 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I am in the can't stand them column.

But I think if only for reading and not instead of bi-focal I'd have fared better.

For me, apparently the optic center on the corrected tops of progressive is right, and the reading parts can't get to optic centers for me. So moving my head left to right while reading to see thru an very narrow reading optical center, not for me.

I guess it depends if the lens are made to allow a range of top and bottom optic centers. I do not know if or who make ones that have options for both. It would have to be when made, not cut for frames.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
I did not like progressives, at all. I had a pair and used them woodworking--hand planing a piece of wood. I looked through the new glasses and was like WTH have I done here? The peripheral distortion makes it a no-go for me. My next pair are on going to be the DUAL glasses, the PL sponsor above.
There are many different designs of progressive lenses and the transition zones between distance and close-up corrections are not straight lines but somewhat complex curves. My first progressives were Zeiss Vari-Lux and they were wonderful and easy for me to adapt to. Since then I have tried other brands and none have been as good but they did cost less. Since I had been successful with my first progressives I was able to be patient enough to get good enough correction after a reasonable period of adjustment. If I had got these lesser lenses for my first progressives, like you, I might have given up on the whole idea.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post

For me, apparently the optic center on the corrected tops of progressive is right, and the reading parts can't get to optic centers for me. So moving my head left to right while reading to see thru an very narrow reading optical center, not for me.
So the focus varies peripherally with some designs? I had not heard of that.

I've been using different powers for computer and reader, then yet another for close work. I think I might want to try a two zone corrected or three zone with uncorrected top.