Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 09:15 AM

I'm with Cicli and Angry on this subject. I grew up a Midwestern farm kid, Mom and Dad were a product of the Great Depression, we wasted nothing and fixed everything, If you didn't know how it worked, you started working on it until you figured it out.

The first time I got a flat tire on my bike I was about 6 years old, Me:"Dad, my bike tire is flat" Dad:"I'm going to town after lunch, you can come along, take your money and we'll get a patch kit". He then showed me how to patch a tube, AND I had some more patches for the next time.

Dad was also a small town Mechanical Contractor. I did my apprenticeship for my Dad starting in 1978, and I've been in the trade since then, doing service, HVACR. I just don't call a repair person for anything unless it's under warranty, the couple times I did, the work wasn't up to my standards, so I ended up doing it myself again.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:41 AM

Everything mechanical I've invested in lately has had it's service life taken into account. Can I get parts for it easily? Can I fix it myself? It's worth it to me to invest in more "lifetime" purchases. My Vitamix was 5x more expensive when compared to the Ninja beside it, but I expect it to last at least 5x as long.

When shopping for used cars, I always look to see how hard parts are to find first. I've been shocked at how easy it is to get parts for Miatas! Way easier than my 84 Chevy Van!
Old 10-17-2018, 09:43 AM

I grew up in a small rural college town where the local high school required all the boys, even those of us going on to college, to take 10 weeks each of wood shop, metal shop, and agriculture. We were taught how to use tools in the shop classes and small engine repair, welding, and how to judge cows in agg. I've found all of those lessons quite useful with the exception of cow judging. I only get outside help on projects when it's obvious that it will cost more to build or repair an item myself.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I've found all of those lessons quite useful with the exception of cow judging.
I'm slightly disappointed. There's gotta be a way to apply those skills.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
Just curious how many here are into attempting to fix things on their own, regardless of prior experience, rather than selling or throwing it away. This is the thread for your experiences, how to questions, etc. Certainly many of us build and repair bikes & bike components at home or lbs shop, but this is more about everything else...consumer electronics, smart phones, large appliances, car repairs for untrained mechanics, etc.

In this current state where there is a new model of this or that every year, with (lets be real) only incremental improvements, with marketing based on the premise that we need the latest version I have to think that somewhere there are piles (figuratively speaking) of phones for example that are otherwise fine. Thank goodness for eBay right? Side note: It would be cool if there was a channel where people can donate their used but fully function consumer electronic devices to an organization that can then distribute them to 3rd world countries, charities, and other communities in need.

YouTube is such a great resource. Knowledge is power and in this case knowledge = money savings. I've been able to find a repair video for everything I've needed to search for. Anyway, I'd love to hear what others have successfully repaired. When I open up something, sometimes its apparent to me whether the company intends that item to be rebuildable by warranty shops or others with the know-how. I think that speaks well of said company. Here's what I have, with zero prior knowledge, been able to repair based on online videos or websites. I've never done the math but I'm sure I've saved thousands over the years. Honestly though, some of this is not due to some idealistic vision of saving the world, but more about not wanting to buy new things or dealing with the hassle of working with others to fix things... I guess one might say I'm a cheapskate with trust issues letting others mess with my stuff

- CF repairs to 3 different bike frames (minor damage / not entire tubes destroyed)

- Complete re-paint of the above two CF frames. Arguably near professional results.

- A really nice (at the time) Samsung Dryer repaired several times. Once it was a broken drum belt. Another time it was the bearings going out on the rollers that support the drum, another time it was the heating element. The inside of a dryer is amazingly simple.

- A swamp cooler when I was a teenager. Another example of something with elementary level technology. So simple.

- Fuel pump on a Subaru Outback. Yeah that's a pretty basic repair, but I am the least auto-mechanically inclined person I know. Interestingly, the fuel pump is right under the rear seat. Pop up the cushions and there's a little hatch right there into the gas tank.

- A Dyson Vacuum electrical issue. Easy peezy. Plenty of youtube videos

- Several iPhones repaired. Say what you will above Apple, but they are built very well and the internals are very modular. the hardest thing is dealing with the itsy bitsy screws. You just need a god screwdriver with an itsy bitsy tip. I have two kids each with an iPhone 6. The phones are hand me down phones from me over the years. Both date back to when the 6 first came out and were going strong until a month ago. No way am I going to buy a teenage kid some brand new iPhone 8 they carry around in their back pocket and toss around with their teenage pals. So until they can buy their own phones they get my hand me down ex-work phones. Anyway, they've been on the decline and finally one kid came to me one with a screen that would no longer illuminate at all and a battery that would no longer hold a charge for more than a couple hours. My other kid with a phone had a cracked screen and battery that wouldn't last long. iPhone 6 battery on Amazon: $20, iPhone replacement display (entire display, including camera, ear piece, proximity sensor, etc): $35. I bought 2 of each and had what I needed for both phones. After following a youtube video I had each phone in essentially brand new operating condition in 2 hours. Total outlay $110. Not bad.

- Roomba robotic vacuum repair. Something with the motor, can't remember exactly. I question the value the Roomba provides in our household but my kids love to play with it, so I finally acquiesced to their requests that I try to fix it. They have a name for the dang thing, sheesh.

- This is loosely correlated but I haven't paid for a haircut for 20 years. I don't shave it down to nothing either. I leave around 1.5 - 2 inches on top, tapering down to nothing near my neck line. A big mirror behind me (temporarily hung inside the shower so I don't have any hair clippings cleanup....shower and its all clean again ), well lit area, a hand mirror, and high quality electric shears with all the attachments is all I've needed. I cut the top using the fingers and scissors method...that took several times to get right. I'm sure the first year the quality was lacking to others noticing my 'do, but within a year or two of starting, I highly doubt any stylist at a local salon could have cut it in a way that I like now. As a side note, I grew up going to the local Barber. Do barbers even exist any more? Fond memories of the local barber, with the tell tale swirly thing outside his door, being the nexus of all neighborhood intel, sports analysis, and political editorial.

Of course I've failed miserably too. The most recent example is when I tore apart an electric pressure washer to fix a leaking seal. Now it is completely non-functional. Ooops!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an office jock and have few man skills. But there comes a point where if you don't try to tackle a few bits on yourself it becomes economically (at the personal level) untenable.

Also working with hands is really satisfying. A neuroscientist on a CBS with Jane Pauley hypothesized that handi work may help the brain. I don't have the empirical data but I find that if I do anything at all with my hands I personally feel
calmer.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-sunday...elp-the-brain/

Bike repairs of any sort except anything involving ball bearings, or frame welding I can tackle with confidence.

Plumbing pipe fixes involving the use of a small pipe blow torch are fun. Learned to do this with the help of a nice guy at the hardware store.

I find cars really intimidating but thanks to a neighbor he has been able to save me a lot of $$ by just giving me his informed advice.

On my wish list:
Learning to weld.

I would like to work on some wood working skills. I want to make a ramp/hiddie hole for our rabbit and work my way up toward making a Appalachian Tear Drop Camper.

John Lennon

Last edited by drewski; 10-17-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:56 AM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewski View Post
I would like to work on some wood working skills. I want to make a ramp/hiddie hole for our rabbit and work my way up toward making a Appalachian Tear Drop Camper.

Carpentry is easy. Almost anyone can cut something and attach it to something else.

Good carpentry is hard. Getting stuff square and stable and all the other stuff takes skill. But it's a skill that can be learned. So I say find a small project and give it a try.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
Just curious how many here are into attempting to fix things on their own, regardless of prior experience, rather than selling or throwing it away.
Just changed the battery in my iPod Touch 2nd Generation.

YouTube has made doing repairs w/o prior experience easy.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I grew up in a small rural college town where the local high school required all the boys, even those of us going on to college, to take 10 weeks each of wood shop, metal shop, and agriculture. We were taught how to use tools in the shop classes and small engine repair, welding, and how to judge cows in agg. I've found all of those lessons quite useful with the exception of cow judging. I only get outside help on projects when it's obvious that it will cost more to build or repair an item myself.
Very similar here...except the cow judging part. I feel like I missed out.

Quote:
Carpentry is easy. Almost anyone can cut something and attach it to something else.

Good carpentry is hard. Getting stuff square and stable and all the other stuff takes skill. But it's a skill that can be learned. So I say find a small project and give it a try.

Very true. My house is 238 years old and almost nothing is plumb. Working on it is always an adventure, I recently remodeled the bathroom and I bet it would have taken me about half the time if everything was uniform to todays building codes. That said, it will probably still be standing in another 238 years while most of the McMansions will be long gone.

I like DIY and I will do almost everything myself. If I don't know something I can usually figure it out or watch someone else do it once or twice and I'm good to go. There are still a few things I will leave to professionals but I'm not adverse to trying.

The last couple of years I've been repairing and tuning up nail and staple guns on the side for a friends business. Finish nailers, framing nailers, staple guns, bradders, pneumatic, gas fired, electric/battery powered etc. Fun stuff and I'm always learning.

William
Old 10-17-2018, 12:29 PM

Perhaps I'll be the only one to admit that, despite wanting to do it all himself, my wonderful father was a terrible handyman.

I have grown into the the fixer he wanted to be, and do pretty much do it all myself. One great pleasure of having been raised by him was that he admitted as much on a father-son trip to Napa, while we held our buzzes with style for a good 48 hours. And we laughed, and laughed and laughed and laughed. That's the kind of man he was.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Appreciate all the fair warnings and good advice.

I got everything I need.

I am ready.
Fixed.

I survived.

Another one of my hacked jobs.

I got pictures but it's gonna cost ya....

The No.1 rule of fixit-yourselfers: Don't listen to naysayers, even the ones that come with good intentions.

Last edited by weisan; 10-17-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:35 PM

I forgot one repair I thought was cool. Our classroom had been gifted with a color laser printer. A huge network ready, heavy duty printer. It stopped working and between internet searches and ohm meter and detective work, I found one tiny little cooling fan that quit. I was able to get one, disassemble the guts and voila! It works. That felt pretty good.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:50 PM

Thread

Love this thread.

Growing up, fixing your stuff is just what we did. Dad is a mechanical engineer, been working with fuel cells for the last 40 years. Has already retired and unretired a few times now.

Desk jockey in real life, however Cars, Bikes, Woodworking, Appliances, major systems in houses have all been fair game. I draw the line at natural gas, drywall, tree work and most automotive repairs that require me to put my body under it when it's on jack stands.

I have a strange addiction to CL Free Stuff, but it's delivered me an office quality HP LaserJet, numerous Herman Miller chairs, antiques, flat panel TVs, etc. that are good as new after light repair. Most folks can't be bothered but it's incredibly satisfying.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 PM

This thread is so apropos.

I agree in principle with the idea of fixing and continuing to use things. My actual experience has been mixed. That's OK. That's how we learn. I have built or restored over a hundred bikes, mostly vintage. I'm good through 10 speed. Internal combustion engines, not so much. But then there is my Opel GT that I learned how to hot wire after the starter switch failed. My home repair skills are just so so. I have done plumbing, but the plumber does it so much better and faster, plus I don't have to make four trips to the hardware store. My IT skills are good and I have built and rebuilt a number of computers.

But sometimes I'll take on a project for the hell of it and as an opportunity to learn and stretch.

I have (or had) six 35 ft olive trees that bordered my pool, which is why it is always some shade of green because of the debris load.

With my son, a molecular biologist and an avid outdoors man,we decided to take take them out.

It was more of a challenge than I anticipated, but great physical fun! Also excellent father son time as long as I provided breakfast and lunch. We had to rope off three of them to keep them from killing us or taking out the wall.

Here are the photos. I couldn't have done this without Neale.

IMG_5775r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG_5784r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG_5794r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG_5796r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG_5800r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG_5814r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG_5776r2 by Robert Copple, on Flickr

Last edited by RFC; 10-17-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:51 PM
ZhugeLiang

What's the 'S' stand for?
Old 10-17-2018, 09:53 PM

Well... you didn't decapitate yourself.
Good job

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Fixed.

I survived.

Another one of my hacked jobs.

I got pictures but it's gonna cost ya....

The No.1 rule of fixit-yourselfers: Don't listen to naysayers, even the ones that come with good intentions.