Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2018, 03:50 PM

The Fixit Yourselfers Thread

Just curious how many here are into attempting to fix things on their own, regardless of prior experience, rather than selling or throwing it away. This is the thread for your experiences, how to questions, etc. Certainly many of us build and repair bikes & bike components at home or lbs shop, but this is more about everything else...consumer electronics, smart phones, large appliances, car repairs for untrained mechanics, etc.

In this current state where there is a new model of this or that every year, with (lets be real) only incremental improvements, with marketing based on the premise that we need the latest version I have to think that somewhere there are piles (figuratively speaking) of phones for example that are otherwise fine. Thank goodness for eBay right? Side note: It would be cool if there was a channel where people can donate their used but fully function consumer electronic devices to an organization that can then distribute them to 3rd world countries, charities, and other communities in need.

YouTube is such a great resource. Knowledge is power and in this case knowledge = money savings. I've been able to find a repair video for everything I've needed to search for. Anyway, I'd love to hear what others have successfully repaired. When I open up something, sometimes its apparent to me whether the company intends that item to be rebuildable by warranty shops or others with the know-how. I think that speaks well of said company. Here's what I have, with zero prior knowledge, been able to repair based on online videos or websites. I've never done the math but I'm sure I've saved thousands over the years. Honestly though, some of this is not due to some idealistic vision of saving the world, but more about not wanting to buy new things or dealing with the hassle of working with others to fix things... I guess one might say I'm a cheapskate with trust issues letting others mess with my stuff

- CF repairs to 3 different bike frames (minor damage / not entire tubes destroyed)

- Complete re-paint of the above two CF frames. Arguably near professional results.

- A really nice (at the time) Samsung Dryer repaired several times. Once it was a broken drum belt. Another time it was the bearings going out on the rollers that support the drum, another time it was the heating element. The inside of a dryer is amazingly simple.

- A swamp cooler when I was a teenager. Another example of something with elementary level technology. So simple.

- Fuel pump on a Subaru Outback. Yeah that's a pretty basic repair, but I am the least auto-mechanically inclined person I know. Interestingly, the fuel pump is right under the rear seat. Pop up the cushions and there's a little hatch right there into the gas tank.

- A Dyson Vacuum electrical issue. Easy peezy. Plenty of youtube videos

- Several iPhones repaired. Say what you will above Apple, but they are built very well and the internals are very modular. the hardest thing is dealing with the itsy bitsy screws. You just need a god screwdriver with an itsy bitsy tip. I have two kids each with an iPhone 6. The phones are hand me down phones from me over the years. Both date back to when the 6 first came out and were going strong until a month ago. No way am I going to buy a teenage kid some brand new iPhone 8 they carry around in their back pocket and toss around with their teenage pals. So until they can buy their own phones they get my hand me down ex-work phones. Anyway, they've been on the decline and finally one kid came to me one with a screen that would no longer illuminate at all and a battery that would no longer hold a charge for more than a couple hours. My other kid with a phone had a cracked screen and battery that wouldn't last long. iPhone 6 battery on Amazon: $20, iPhone replacement display (entire display, including camera, ear piece, proximity sensor, etc): $35. I bought 2 of each and had what I needed for both phones. After following a youtube video I had each phone in essentially brand new operating condition in 2 hours. Total outlay $110. Not bad.

- Roomba robotic vacuum repair. Something with the motor, can't remember exactly. I question the value the Roomba provides in our household but my kids love to play with it, so I finally acquiesced to their requests that I try to fix it. They have a name for the dang thing, sheesh.

- This is loosely correlated but I haven't paid for a haircut for 20 years. I don't shave it down to nothing either. I leave around 1.5 - 2 inches on top, tapering down to nothing near my neck line. A big mirror behind me (temporarily hung inside the shower so I don't have any hair clippings cleanup....shower and its all clean again ), well lit area, a hand mirror, and high quality electric shears with all the attachments is all I've needed. I cut the top using the fingers and scissors method...that took several times to get right. I'm sure the first year the quality was lacking to others noticing my 'do, but within a year or two of starting, I highly doubt any stylist at a local salon could have cut it in a way that I like now. As a side note, I grew up going to the local Barber. Do barbers even exist any more? Fond memories of the local barber, with the tell tale swirly thing outside his door, being the nexus of all neighborhood intel, sports analysis, and political editorial.

Of course I've failed miserably too. The most recent example is when I tore apart an electric pressure washer to fix a leaking seal. Now it is completely non-functional. Ooops!

Last edited by Wayne77; 10-16-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
Side note: It would be cool if there was a channel where people can donate their used but fully function consumer electronic devices to an organization that can then distribute them to 3rd world countries, charities, and other communities in need.
Wonderful idea for a thread! I'm picking out this segment because we've got something like this here in Burlington, VT. Right now I think it's mostly local, but you can buy, sell and repair computers at this place called Computers for Change. It's a great place to donate and purchase used but functional electronics. They're also very active in donating computers to local organizations in need.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:12 PM
cmg

1989 Honda civic, electrical short on turn/hazard lights, after 4 hours of fuses replacement and re-blow out, 8 dead fuses, discovered it was a signal light bulb problem, double pole when it should have been single pole, replaced bulb , all lights work. now the issue is fender side /driver side and bumper light on passenger light work when passenger light is on. Next repair is the turn signal switch at steering column. according to youtube kind of a common problem. Honda uses bullet proof fender well clips, spent more time removing them to get to fender side light than anything else. Yea, not a mechanic but youtube makes any repair doable. this civic (one of 3 ) is my mini cooper, never sell it.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Administrator

My dad spent his childhood dirt poor growin up during the Great Depression. He served in the Navy during WWII, and returned to help his family struggle back into financial existence.

He never lectured me on any of this; but I learned from watching him: Nothing gets thrown out unless it has zero value: and you never call someone to fix your stuff; do it yourself.

I'm a hack plumber, carpenter, electrician, gardener and I've never visited an auto mechanic. I find pride in working on my own stuff and keeping old gear going makes me happy.

Over the years you name it; I've worked on it. Yes; I've screwed some stuff up in that amount of time; plenty actually. That's how we learn though.

Good thread. Screw the disposable culture. Make self reliance cool again I say.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:17 PM

I only pay someone to change my oil when it’s cold (no garage here). I can’t stand paying someone to do something I think I can do better than.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:19 PM

Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
My dad spent his childhood dirt poor growin up during the Great Depression. He served in the Navy during WWII, and returned to help his family struggle back into financial existence.

He never lectured me on any of this; but I learned from watching him: Nothing gets thrown out unless it has zero value: and you never call someone to fix your stuff; do it yourself.

I'm a hack plumber, carpenter, electrician, gardener and I've never visited an auto mechanic. I find pride in working on my own stuff and keeping old gear going makes me happy.

Over the years you name it; I've worked on it. Yes; I've screwed some stuff up in that amount of time; plenty actually. That's how we learn though.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeryman View Post
Wonderful idea for a thread! I'm picking out this segment because we've got something like this here in Burlington, VT. Right now I think it's mostly local, but you can buy, sell and repair computers at this place called Computers for Change. It's a great place to donate and purchase used but functional electronics. They're also very active in donating computers to local organizations in need.
Very cool to hear. Sounds like a great organization. I’m going to check into it. I’d love to see this sort of thing spread.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:25 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

The older I get, the less I want to lay on my back on the hard driveway under a car. There are still things I'll do because I don't want to pay for it: oil changes, minor repairs, etc. ...but... big stuff like the transfer case in my X3? Unless I have a lift? No thanks.

The other thing that's likely to go to the shop is the #4 miss in my F150. That's just frustrating me

M
Old 10-16-2018, 06:37 PM

I completely overhauled and rebuilt a 1974 and 1970 Mustang fastback including suspension.
Fixed dozens of appliances.
I can do simple plumbing, carpentry and of course painting. I spent my youth helping my dad and uncles who were welders and carpenters doing various repairs and renovations. Being left handed made me the guy who nailed the left end of the roof shingles before such things as nail guns were invented.

But for finish work that needs to be seen, I am not to proud to call someone who knows their job.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
The older I get, the less I want to lay on my back on the hard driveway under a car. There are still things I'll do because I don't want to pay for it: oil changes, minor repairs, etc. ...but... big stuff like the transfer case in my X3? Unless I have a lift? No thanks.

The other thing that's likely to go to the shop is the #4 miss in my F150. That's just frustrating me

M
Replace the coil
Old 10-16-2018, 06:50 PM
ZhugeLiang

I fix everything myself.

And if you have the right attitude, you can do it too.

That's why I laugh at 99% of the threads that say "it's broken, dump it out if you value your teeth."

What has my teeth got anything to do with ingenuity, persistence and patience?
Old 10-16-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Pretty much my experience as well. Currently pushing on with a major home renovation, and have been doing it all myself--carpentry, wiring, plumbing, flooring, tile work, you name it. Sometimes I get stumped, and leave things until I can dig in--read, youtube or talk to friends about procedures.

I have visited the car mechanics, but usually that is a time / efficiency issue. Our old Volvo I rebuilt the front end, did all brakes (and e-brake) and did the timing belt myself etc.

Computers--I used to be a pro, so I fix/update mine, my wife's and a few other people that I like.

My biggest complaint these days is that more things are made not to be repaired (plastic gears, cases with tabs that snap off, plastic parts where metal would have been better). In fact that was the worst thing about the Volvo (1999) was that a whole mess of plastic bits were failing from heat etc, so I was having to put things back together with zipties, screws or whatever...
Old 10-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Riding Along

You are my kind of people. 👍🏽
Old 10-16-2018, 08:34 PM

I guess I will be the contrarian- my life is infinitely better since I started letting professionals and experts fix things I don’t know how to fix. Or even stuff I do know how to fix, but know that experts will do it 3 times as good in 1/4 of the time. This is the point of living in a society with specialization.

More time to dad, husband, ride, live.

Maybe I’m missing the point.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I guess I will be the contrarian- my life is infinitely better since I started letting professionals and experts fix things I don’t know how to fix. Or even stuff I do know how to fix, but know that experts will do it 3 times as good in 1/4 of the time. This is the point of living in a society with specialization.

More time to dad, husband, ride, live.

Maybe I’m missing the point.
Financial resources is a factor. Nothing wrong with paying of course...keeps people working, the lights on for business etc etc. This thread is not intended to question the value of paying for expertise...it’s more about life experiences, satisfaction of learning to repair something many think is not possible for the layman to do, and more importantly the independence that comes out of that. Of course, it becomes a question of where you invest time if it gets in the way of family or other more enriching things. FWIW, I had my little special needs son right next to me the whole time I was working on the iPhones. He asked a million questions the entire time and it was a true bonding experience. Already one of my favorite memories with him.

Also, I’d argue your last sentence is presicely the point that supports this. Everyone has the independence to learn a specialty...technology, online info sharing, social networking makes that more possible today than it ever has been. I think that is a wonderful thing.