Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Yes for years now. It works fine for coffee, including steaming.

Funny it's never available at Cafes.. and at least one near me has not one but 3-4 different vegan milk options. It's rarely available but Cashew is the best one I've tried for espresso drinks.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. I wind up getting soy milk, which I like, but they (over)charge a lot for that! Never tried or heard of cashew milk. I hate almond milk.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Yeah, that's unfortunate. I wind up getting soy milk, which I like, but they (over)charge a lot for that! Never tried or heard of cashew milk. I hate almond milk.
Be careful with too much Soy. Not good for testosterone...
Old 01-05-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Have you tried oat milk? I've grown quite fond of it as my wife is lactose intolerant and I'm sometime too lazy to steam two kinds of milk.

We've tried about 4-5 different oat milks and though pricier, Oatly is my recommendation (the costco stuff is cheap but almost undrinkable in comparison).

We use the Barista version that comes in shelf stable tetrapack , or make our own when we can get the regular Half Gallon at a grocery store (it's much cheaper). Just add a scant tablespoon of Canola oil to the half gallon and viola...Barista Version.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:44 AM

I have moved entirely to pour-over because of the simplicity and ease of clean up. I use a Melitta cone and filter. But I am also wondering about the Hario V60, Chemex, and Kalita Wave methods.

Anyone have opinions about these four pour-over methods?
Old 01-11-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncguy View Post
I have moved entirely to pour-over because of the simplicity and ease of clean up. I use a Melitta cone and filter. But I am also wondering about the Hario V60, Chemex, and Kalita Wave methods.

Ive had one of these for a few years and i love it. Only thinking of going Chemex because those papers filter more crap than the v60 ones, but not in any rush..

Old 01-11-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Ive had one of these for a few years and i love it.
That looks beautiful. Do you have a link? I'm assuming the cone is a V60.

Can you compare it to other pour-overs?
Old 01-11-2021, 12:16 PM

It would be interesting to see some kind of blind A:B testing to see if anyone drinking the coffee could actually tell the difference between V60 and Chemex.

I have both, I can't necessarily say I could. There is a difference, but it's subtle, and I probably haven't made enough Chemex to really say. I usually only use my Chemex when I have guests since I can make 1L of coffee with it pretty quickly/easily and it'd take way longer to use the V60.

Realistically I wouldn't get a Chemex for just 1 person.. I got mine as a gift.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:17 PM

it is one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Drip-Co...0388971&sr=8-3

It's great.

My only complaint is that it has no insulation, so if brewing 500ml of coffee for myself, it goes cold pretty quick.
This led me to using my standalone V60 cone with a Fellow Products carafe. It's been a bit of a game changer for me.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncguy View Post

I think they're all exactly the same! I have or had, 3 pour-over methods, and AeroPress that I can make function as one, and I can't tell any difference. The first method I had was a simple and cheap one I got from Target, I can't recall the name now, but it fell onto my ceramic flooring and cracked, the other is the V60, and the other is the one I use for camping from GSI, and I can't tell the difference between them. Therefore I would not buy an expensive one, it won't matter the least bit unless you want style over performance to be displayed in the kitchen.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floxy1 View Post
I’m a relatively new barista but really enjoying mastering the craft and experimenting. I went back and forth on best ‘budget’ machine and decided on the Rocket Apparento and Eureka Mignon.

Rocket R58
Mazzer mini

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2021, 08:17 AM
PegoNagos

Great setup!

I need to get my self a Rocket machine......
Old 01-13-2021, 09:38 AM

Anyone roast their own beans? Let's see your roaster. Is it really worth the trouble?
Old 01-13-2021, 03:27 PM
Keeper of cogs

mama mia, I cant post my machine after these demigods
Old 01-13-2021, 03:34 PM

Thanks fmradio516, benb, jkbrwn, and froze! Those are exactly the comments I'm looking for.

I have avoided the Chemex for the exact same reason, and I'm not sure the three cones really make that much of a difference.

One difference maker I DID find was the filters. I got 300 cheap ones from Amazon and they were like using a paper grocery bag! Awful. No character to the coffee at all. Kroger are better, but the Melitta cone filters are far better than those two. They feel softer and have micro-holes punched into them to allow a bit of the oils through.

For me, making pour-over is my morning meditation, aroma therapy, and caffeine fix, all in one.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:02 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Anyone roast their own beans? Let's see your roaster. Is it really worth the trouble?
I do - it's absolutely worth it. No trouble at all. I absolutely LOVE this roaster for a "first roaster". About 4-6 min to roast (depending on the air temp) with a 5 min cooling cycle for a 1/4# batch.

I will be upgrading my roaster soon for something that makes bigger batches. I tried the bigger version of what I have, but it just didn't work. At all.

Probably getting one of these: https://www.roastmasters.com/behmor.html

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso