Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2021, 09:43 AM

I'm lactose intolerant and it took forever to figure it out.. I even tested negative on the "breath test" at the hospital... (that test is terrible though, it has like a 20% false negative rate).

In any case.. once you get rid of the lactose (and the pills work fine for me for the amount of milk I'd put in a drip coffee or even a latte) some coffee will still make me sick.

I won't go near drop coffee from Starbucks other than the Veranda blend.. most of their dark stuff is heavily overroasted and then they overextract the coffee AFAICT. It will always make me sick even without milk. Their espresso drinks seems fine though, it doesn't make me sick.

I would just make sure you are brewing carefully.. stuff like a well done V60 or the Aeropress or even well made espresso drank straight doesn't really even make my stomach rumble.

I do find the Aeropress somehow unsatisfying as it makes such a small cup.. it does hold up pretty well to adding hot water though. My favorite mug is ~360ml. Aeropress it feels like you're really stretching to get 300ml.
Old 01-04-2021, 09:44 AM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
I use a "standard-sized" mug, nothing too big or anything. I havent done it in a while, but i remember it only being filled about halfway. maybe i was doing something wrong. I do know i was doing the inverted aeropresses because right side up, it would leak like crazy(as others mentioned here) but i probably should try again and make my grind size finer.
If you do want to brew non-inverted, I'd suggest looking into the Fellow Prismo - I have one and it's a great addition.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:47 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
In any case.. once you get rid of the lactose (and the pills work fine for me for the amount of milk I'd put in a drip coffee or even a latte) some coffee will still make me sick.

I won't go near drop coffee from Starbucks other than the Veranda blend.. most of their dark stuff is heavily overroasted and then they overextract the coffee AFAICT. It will always make me sick even without milk. Their espresso drinks seems fine though, it doesn't make me sick.
I'm lactose tolerant (is that a thing?), and every now and again, I'll have a cup of coffee go through me acting like a feral cat wrapped in a towel -- fighting the whole way through.

The best thing about Starbucks is that every now and again James Hoffman mentions it on his youtube channel. It's always deadpan and dead-on.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
What does everyone do for making a large cup of joe in an aeropress. I have one, but its collecting dust as i always go to my v60 cause i like a full cup in the morning
You should add hot water after you brew, just like an Americano. If the resulting cup is too weak, add more coffee / grind finer in order to extract more during the brew process.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
I'm lactose tolerant (is that a thing?), and every now and again, I'll have a cup of coffee go through me acting like a feral cat wrapped in a towel -- fighting the whole way through.
Yah realistically the thing is lactase persistence.. the vast majority of humans cannot digest lactose past childhood so that is "normal" and being able to is the oddball thing. Our culture just assumes not being able to is a "condition" due to assuming Northern European genetics are normal/superior.

There's just bad coffee too!
Old 01-04-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I'm lactose intolerant and it took forever to figure it out.. I even tested negative on the "breath test" at the hospital... (that test is terrible though, it has like a 20% false negative rate).

What does lactose intolerance have to do with coffee? Do you put milk in your coffee? Or does straight coffee have lactose in it?
Old 01-04-2021, 01:37 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncguy View Post
What does lactose intolerance have to do with coffee? Do you put milk in your coffee? Or does straight coffee have lactose in it?
lactose is in milk, not coffee
Old 01-04-2021, 02:31 PM

Have been drinking some great stuff recently.

Unincorporated Coffee's Quiet Prophet has quickly become my go to espresso.

https://unincorporated.coffee/produc...rious-regions/

And I was gifted a bag of very expensive filter from my favourite roaster:

https://shop.artisanroast.co.uk/products/coe-3

Really fantastic stuff. Though it is 21GBP for 250 grams. I used to have an Artisan subscription when I still lived in the U.K. I'm yet to find a roaster I like as much over here in the U.S....
Old 01-04-2021, 03:17 PM

After trying some boutique brands in my espresso maker, I'm using Starbucks beans. It tastes just as good and is a bit cheaper. Maybe my palate is a bit less refined.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:

I would just make sure you are brewing carefully.. stuff like a well done V60 or the Aeropress or even well made espresso drank straight doesn't really even make my stomach rumble.

I do find the Aeropress somehow unsatisfying as it makes such a small cup.. it does hold up pretty well to adding hot water though. My favorite mug is ~360ml. Aeropress it feels like you're really stretching to get 300ml.

Have you tried a lactose free milk like Lactaid? It tastes the same as regular milk.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
After trying some boutique brands in my espresso maker, I'm using Starbucks beans. It tastes just as good and is a bit cheaper. Maybe my palate is a bit less refined.
Not necessarily anything to do with your palate. What machine are you using?
Whose beans did you use? Were they roasted fresh? Or supermarket boutique? E.g. Stumptown/Lavazza/Peet's etc?
Old 01-04-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Whose beans did you use? Were they roasted fresh? Or supermarket boutique? E.g. Stumptown/Lavazza/Peet's etc?
I use local beans from Avoca. Have also tried, and really liked, Onyx. The biggest thing to look for is a roast date (not expiration). Fresh beans that have properly degassed is the most important first step. 2 weeks off roast is the sweet spot in my experience.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post

La Spaziale - S1 Mini Vivaldi 2
Temple Coffee, States Coffee, Big House Beans
Roasted fresh
Old 01-04-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
La Spaziale - S1 Mini Vivaldi 2
Temple Coffee, States Coffee, Big House Beans
Roasted fresh
Well they certainly seem like capable roasters and it’s a capable machine. Don’t really have any suggestions if you still prefer Starbucks after trying coffee from good roasters!
Old 01-04-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Have you tried a lactose free milk like Lactaid? It tastes the same as regular milk.
Yes for years now. It works fine for coffee, including steaming.

Funny it's never available at Cafes.. and at least one near me has not one but 3-4 different vegan milk options. It's rarely available but Cashew is the best one I've tried for espresso drinks.

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso