Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2020, 12:12 PM

Lovely setup seahuston. I'm being tempted by some of the lever machines but not sure my breville smart will be up to the task. How did it work for you doing espresso before you upgraded?
Old 10-14-2020, 12:47 PM
Vendor

I used the smart grinder for a couple years with the Arrarex Caravel and was really happy with it. The caravel is a really forgiving machine and it wasnt until I got the larger espresso machine that could start to notice the difference between grinders. I had no problem getting well dialed shots with smart grinder+caravel.

I really loved this lever machine but never tried the euro picola. I'd recommend this machine to anyone and I love the looks and simplicity. A couple notes: most are 220v heating elements but I swapped in a 120v to improve heating time. Mine had issues with the seals going out pretty quickly (2-3mo) which was annoying but not hard to change (entirely tool free disassembly). Shot volume is really small which works well for me since I tend towards ristrettos anyways.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahuston View Post
Here's my setup after getting everything as desired!

Primarily drink espresso and started with the small yellow caravel for a few years but it got a little more tedious as I have been making more coffee at home lately.

Came across this 2gr machine on Craigslist for such a low price I had to jump on it! Is running a 220V and water line overkill? Of course! Buts it's been a fun machine to use and starting to get good performance out of it. I'm stl impressed by how easily the caravel can pull a flavorful shot. Much less sensitive.

The breville grinder was the first one but not serves pour over. Just got the ceado and it is great!!

Now if only group rides were going so I could serve everyone up!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Wow that's heavy machinery. I have that ceado grinder which I bought instead of the breville smart. Glad to hear it sounds like I made a good choice.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
Wow that's heavy machinery.
If that were my coffee bench, I would be SO WIRED!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-14-2020, 01:29 PM

Has anyone picked up a Fellow Ode yet? I kind of want to upgrade from my Virtuoso but not sure if its worth it. I only do pour over.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:35 PM

That Caravel looks sweet.

I keep seeing these vintage small/manualish machines that look like they'd be right up my alley, simple, relatively practical, designed just to make a small amount of espresso.

Everything new always looks super luxury/lifestyle in comparison.

I like these cause they wouldn't dominate the counter too.

Would love to find something like that which didn't take 220V too I guess.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:44 PM
Vendor

I absolutely love the machine. Looks great and always grabs attention.

If you do end up going for one and get a 220v model you can replace the heating element with this one, swap the plug end and you're good to go. If you'd like you can replace the "waffle light" with a 120v model as well.

I think this machine with an OE pharos grinder makes for a pretty hard-to-beat-for-the-price setup. But I wouldn't say small shots and hand grinding is for everyone and I got tired of it after a while.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Is running a 220V and water line overkill? Of course!
Not from where I sit ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myLineaClassicAV.jpg (87.4 KB, 172 views)
Old 10-14-2020, 06:23 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
Not from where I sit ;-)
Tell me about those pour-overs on the top shelf. What are their sizes: 1-2-4-8 cuppers?
Old 10-14-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
Tell me about those pour-overs on the top shelf. What are their sizes: 1-2-4-8 cuppers?
basically. technically, Melitta numbers them 100,101,102 and 103. Find them at flea markets. I'd like to get a set from the 40s or 50s that had blue, sometime green script glazing...

I use them when the power goes out;-)
Old 10-14-2020, 07:49 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
basically. technically, Melitta numbers them 100,101,102 and 103. Find them at flea markets. I'd like to get a set from the 40s or 50s that had blue, sometime green script glazing...

I use them when the power goes out;-)
Aaah.. ok. I use them everyday for drip. I gave up on a drip machine as I think these are easier to control. If I were to sling espresso, I'd be shaking by the end of the day.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I used the smart grinder for a couple years with the Arrarex Caravel and was really happy with it. The caravel is a really forgiving machine and it wasnt until I got the larger espresso machine that could start to notice the difference between grinders. I had no problem getting well dialed shots with smart grinder+caravel.

I really loved this lever machine but never tried the euro picola. I'd recommend this machine to anyone and I love the looks and simplicity. A couple notes: most are 220v heating elements but I swapped in a 120v to improve heating time. Mine had issues with the seals going out pretty quickly (2-3mo) which was annoying but not hard to change (entirely tool free disassembly). Shot volume is really small which works well for me since I tend towards ristrettos anyways.
Thanks seahuston. I'll be taking the plunge with a Flair., just deciding which one ATM. I'm definitely fearful that I will end up with a hobby more expensive and time consuming than cycling.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbellrun23 View Post
Thanks seahuston. I'll be taking the plunge with a Flair., just deciding which one ATM. I'm definitely fearful that I will end up with a hobby more expensive and time consuming than cycling.
The trick is to put it in perspective by finding an even more ridiculously expensive and time consuming hobby, like salt water fish tanks or cash flammability tester. It makes the bike and coffee habit not seem as bad.

That said, I'm getting the itch to upgrade my Rocket Cellini HX machine to a double boiler that's plumbable... There is absolutely nothing worse at 6:30am than ruining your shot because you ran out of water half way through. It's beyond maddening.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:11 PM
all slow no go

Quick and dirty little proof of concept on my machine this evening. (I'll have a proper woodworker make the final version)
Old 10-15-2020, 10:23 PM

October heat wave in LA and I’m gonna cool off in the morning with another ‘spro + Sprite. Can’t wait!!

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso