Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 09:14 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
To close the loop on this for me, my apologies in advance for the timing of my response as the intent is not to belabor this issue but rather that I haven't log in since yesterday.

Yes, the barb about these threads always bring out the inner cycling stud is from me. It was not done frivolously. Your response was to the question

I will not rehash the details of your response. I will say that the inquiry on equipment choices was seeking advice and insight on the ride for a newcomer rather than asking you what you use yourself for the ride. Advice is usually given to help a person and is given in the context of what is appropriate and useful to them. Targeted to their level of their experience with the event - which in this case is none.

IMO your response offered petty advice catering not to help a guy out but to nonchalantly mention what you, a veteran of multiple R2D2-type rides, use. Useless advice for a newcomer. You back pedal you initial response as merely a POV - yes I agree that every offer of advice has an inherent POV. The part that was missing is the relevance as useful to the intended audience.

You did not touch a nerve. You offered vain glorious platitudes in the guise of advice. I responded to that. No doubt we can agree to disagree and I just told you why.
Targeted to their level of their experience with the event - which in this case is none.
Useless advice for a newcomer?

My experience with the event was once none too.
As I wrote in Post 21 several days ago -

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Heh?
I was a newcomer to D2R2 a long time ago and used the same parts I described.
No need for the characterization here, quotes or no quotes.
Please try to leave out the analysis and personal agenda, whatever the reason for these might be.
Thanks.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Framebuilder

For the last couple of years I rode this bike set up just like this:

This year maybe I'll ride this one because it shreds so hard:

For many years before I rode this one minus the fenders:

Last edited by Tyler Evans; 08-03-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:28 AM

Already have my gearing figured out but still a little unsure about my tire choice. How much of D2R2 is actually paved?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvig View Post
Already have my gearing figured out but still a little unsure about my tire choice. How much of D2R2 is actually paved?
It varies with the different routes.

Which are you contemplating doing?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:05 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Evans View Post
For the last couple of years I rode this bike set up just like this:
You should totally rock that mtb. That way I can borrow that sweet road bike for the day!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Not a leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
This will be my 3rd D2R2, first on this bike but the last two have been on something similar. Steel frame, standard road bike with possibly a little more forgiveness built into the rear end, but nothing special. Same tires will go into service since '09. Not just the same model, the_exact_same tires--25 mm continental gatorskin clinchers. Never flatted on this ride, battenkill x2, baller's ride and all kinds of other similar stuff. Probably around 80/85 psi on these kind of roads.

For me I didn't worry about the downhills on skinny tires so much, you just slow down if you have to. It was all the climbing that made the day easier more enjoyable with a lighter wheel/tire combo than what many of the cogniscenti on here seem to say is going to make everyone's day easier. I'd rather not climb for 20-30 minutes straight on big chunky cross tires.

I think Maynard would dig the tribute license plate.. Nice bike too btw.

Last edited by handsomerob; 08-03-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
It varies with the different routes.

Which are you contemplating doing?
I'm doing the 180 and I'll be on an old Jim Redcay, I guess by todays standards we'd call it a sports tourer, plenty of room for large tires if necessary.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:57 PM

D2R2 Bikes 2013

Quote:
I don't know the portion in terms of miles, but you will be on dirt for many more hours than not... The paved portions are basically brief uneventful connections between dirt roads going over hills.

Instagram
Old 08-03-2013, 01:03 PM

D2R2 Bikes 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
I don't know the portion in terms of miles, but you will be on dirt for many more hours than not... The paved portions are basically brief uneventful connections between dirt roads going over hills.
Methinks some Grifo XS or Clement LAS would be a hoot to roll. Can anyone compare the latter to the former? Never tried LAS but I like XS a whole bunch.

Instagram
Old 08-03-2013, 01:05 PM

"what is really comes down to is the riders athletic ability and level of fitness.

if you're out of shape, fat, and can't handle a bike, get all the extra help you can.

if you're in shape, can handle a bike really well, 23's or whatever will be fine.

i'm guessing most people here are in the first category. just a guess.
nothing else matters really."

--------------------

Yup, I'm fat, can't handle a bike and need all the extra help I can get.
I did 10 years ago and still do ...

and it's precisely because of all the inspirational help here and the
non-judgmental gracious good will of the many luminaries ATH that I
entered and still enjoy the sport.

Let's not eat our children.

What is really comes down to is enjoying oneself.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
I'm doing the 180 and I'll be on an old Jim Redcay, I guess by todays standards we'd call it a sports tourer, plenty of room for large tires if necessary.
Depending on what your comfort/experience level is riding on packed/loose/rocky/steep dirt, that will help you decide what might work best.
You could do much worse than a 32mm Pasela though...
Old 08-03-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Pic of the Redcay, please.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:14 AM

Not that I want this thread to drag out and die an extremely slow death but.....I sorta think both sides of argument are correct. I live in upstate NY and we've got plenty of gnarly seasonal roads (jeep trails). Most all of it can be ridden on a regular road bike with 23's. Maybe not the best choice if your looking to ride just that one hill but if you look at the entire ride, what's more painful.....riding one or two really bad sections on 23's or riding ·the other hundred miles on big fat slow tires? It all comes down to the individual. What's fun for you may not be fun for someone else.·
When I look at the bikes Tyler Evans posted I would rather ride the first skinny tire race bike. It'd be a pain for me to do a hundred miles on the mtb bike he's going to ride this year, even though he'll have a blast bombing the downhills on that thing! No right or wrong. ·Why get mad at someone else for having a different opinion.

Mike
Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike p View Post
Not that I want this thread to drag out and die an extremely slow death but.....I sorta think both sides of argument are correct. I live in upstate NY and we've got plenty of gnarly seasonal roads (jeep trails). Most all of it can be ridden on a regular road bike with 23's. Maybe not the best choice if your looking to ride just that one hill but if you look at the entire ride, what's more painful.....riding one or two really bad sections on 23's or riding ·the other hundred miles on big fat slow tires? It all comes down to the individual. What's fun for you may not be fun for someone else.·
When I look at the bikes Tyler Evans posted I would rather ride the first skinny tire race bike. It'd be a pain for me to do a hundred miles on the mtb bike he's going to ride this year, even though he'll have a blast bombing the downhills on that thing! No right or wrong. ·Why get mad at someone else for having a different opinion.

Mike

[X] Like.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike p View Post

Mike
Your theory leaves out an important option... the middle ground. 28's-35's don't roll poorly on the road at all and give the traction, comfort and flat protection that you will not have with 23ish road tires.

Over the past 8 events I've ridden 32's, 35's and 38's. Since I'm no lightweight @ 190#, I'd call the 32's marginal for my own use as the others work better for me.

This year I'll go even bigger with a hard-pack cross-country 26 x 1.95 tire.

Ride what works best for you
Closed Thread

Tags
firefly