Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:19 AM

D2R2 bike

Cervelo R3
Sram Compact 34/50
XX Cassette 11-32 Wifli
Conti 25mm GP

Its my first D2R2 ride I hope too see you all soon!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:20 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
what is really comes down to is the riders athletic ability and level of fitness.

if you're out of shape, fat, and can't handle a bike, get all the extra help you can.

if you're in shape, can handle a bike really well, 23's or whatever will be fine.

i'm guessing most people here are in the first category. just a guess.
nothing else matters really.
I know at least one rider that was stronger than ever and had lower than ever gearing on the bike. He wasn't in the first category.

Tires? Fitness has nothing to do with it. Ability does. I know plenty of "fat and out of shape" guys that can still handle a bike better than most.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 AM
killin' it

Rode it 2x with 23mm clinchers on meh roadie. No probs, and I got freaky on the washed out descents too. 39x26 lowest gear. So, it can be done.

My POV is this: I enjoyed it more than I would have on a "more appropriate" bike because it was challenging to do it on a pure road machine.

But hey if a more "burly" rig is your cup-o-tea, go nutz. This ride would be most enjoyable on a G650
Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
what is really comes down to is the riders athletic ability and level of fitness.

if you're out of shape, fat, and can't handle a bike, get all the extra help you can.

if you're in shape, can handle a bike really well, 23's or whatever will be fine.

i'm guessing most people here are in the first category. just a guess.
nothing else matters really.

I'm guessing most people here are somewhere in between, with a few at either end of the bell curve.

Bikes are but a small portion of life...
Old 08-02-2013, 11:58 AM

e-Richie

Richard seems very articulate, and certainly posts frequently enough.
I find it odd when other people rush in to speak for him or interpret his statements.
Why does that happen?
Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 PM

And here's my 2 cents: Many of you have done our Dirtphalt ride.
If you haven't it's very similar terrain to Deerfield.
I would say that I am an average rider. I don't have anywhere near the skill of an accomplished cyclocross racer like e-Richie.
I could do the Dirtphalt ride with 700X23 road tires. I am used to riding on dirt and more importantly I know where the dangerous sections are and how to approach them.
Does that mean other people should come here and try it on road tires?
No way.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Post Mod-ern

No matter what shape you're in . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Oh, more pictures. If I don't bring the Ottrott, I'll bring this. If there's any chance it will be wet, the Zank is a given.

All my bikes are D2R2 compatible.
. . . low gears, wide tires, stop to have lunch, stop at the tops of hills and enjoy the view. Have a great time. End of story.

And BTW, ergott, that's one killer nice looking Zanc! Love that pearly white!

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 08-02-2013, 12:27 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Richard seems very articulate, and certainly posts frequently enough.
I find it odd when other people rush in to speak for him or interpret his statements.
Why does that happen?
I'll answer you with a question -

Why do terms like this "tough guy" attitude or blow-hards aside have to accompany replies to me from folks who don't share my points of view? And by extension, why would someone suggest that these threads always bring out the inner cycling stud ?

I posted based on my knowledge of the event and area. And I also am on these roads several times a week, some weeks every day. I made the comment that any road bicycle can be used (words to that effect) and mentioned the tire sizes I choose daily. Gear ratios are another subject. But if I suggest that my daily rider is a D2R2 bicycle as-is, folks assume there's a macho thing, or a racer thing, going on. Far from it.

Enjoy Franklin County. I moved here after my first D2R2 as a result of the beauty here.

I am not trying to create drama here. But I will react to the drama that's here since some of my opinions seem to have touched a nerve or three.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:47 PM

I for one, having recently signed up for my first D2R2, felt a little better after reading e-RICHIE's comments.

I'd probably be more comfortable on my mountain bike, but I want to ride something similar to what my friends are riding so that my pace is as similar to theirs as possible. I guess I'm a social animal.

They're all riding road bikes or cross bikes. I don't have a cross bike, but I have an abundance of road bikes. So I picked a frame I didn't care much about because it had a cracked rear dropout which meant that if it was ever to be used again, I'd lose the "all original" paint. Since I'd be riding dirt with rocks jumping about, this was OK. I had the dropout replaced and built it up as a "climbing" road bike with compact cranks and a 30 tooth cassette.

I was a little worried because all I can fit are 28's. But if e-RICHIE is doing it on 23's, I figure I'm golden on 28's.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
I'll answer you with a question -

Why do terms like this "tough guy" attitude or blow-hards aside have to accompany replies to me from folks who don't share my points of view? And by extension, why would someone suggest that these threads always bring out the inner cycling stud ?

I posted based on my knowledge of the event and area. And I also am on these roads several times a week, some weeks every day. I made the comment that any road bicycle can be used (words to that effect) and mentioned the tire sizes I choose daily. Gear ratios are another subject. But if I suggest that my daily rider is a D2R2 bicycle as-is, folks assume there's a macho thing, or a racer thing, going on. Far from it.

Enjoy Franklin County. I moved here after my first D2R2 as a result of the beauty here.

I am not trying to create drama here. But I will react to the drama that's here since some of my opinions seem to have touched a nerve or three.
I don't know the answer to your question. Those weren't words I used.
Do you know the answer to my question? Because I'm genuinely curious.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
I don't know the answer to your question. Those weren't words I used.
Do you know the answer to my question? Because I'm genuinely curious.
It was only Eric who attempted to explain my post or what I may be thinking, and used his reply to make that point. Maybe he'll see this and lyk.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Everything is connected

Bucket list ride for me. All of the bikes and ride photos make me envious for sure.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
I posted based on my knowledge of the event and area. And I also am on these roads several times a week, some weeks every day. I made the comment that any road bicycle can be used (words to that effect) and mentioned the tire sizes I choose daily. Gear ratios are another subject.
But in 2011, didn't you ride your cx bike? I rode my Merckx with 23mm tires last year. IOt was fine, but I got two pinch flats. I might do my Colnago with 25mm tubs this year, but I'm strongly leaning toward the Zanc cx, just for the option of mounting 28mm or 32mm tires. Let's face it, it's more fun to really let the bike roll on the downhills!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulasaab View Post
But if e-RICHIE is doing it on 23's, I figure I'm golden on 28's.
28s or 32s are perfect. You'll enjoy it.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Slower than u r

Getting the feeling that if e-Richie were to have said he's running a cross bike with 38's he'd still have been making the wrong tire choice. "Baaaaaaaaa! THat's too much tire!!"
Closed Thread

Tags
firefly