Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
This. While Pogs win and the manner he got it was amazing, the race unfolded heavily in his favor after he went and a concerted chase never really happened. That is not to discount his move and everyone else's inability to follow it (despite him literally calling his shot ahead of time), but in a race with with WVA and MvDP and I think he gets brought back. Might not have changed the outcome, but the last 80k would have been more interesting.
MvdP v Pog would have been great. WvA doesn't have the same explosiveness, despite being an incredible rider. At least, that's the way it's looked over the last year while watching from the cushy comfort of my couch.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:24 PM

Doubtful...what we didn't see on the t.v. was the work done by his team to wear everyone out beforehand...Wellens did an incredible job...most guys were already at their limit when he went...

His calling it ahead of time as to exactly where he would go reminds me of Ali giving the round when the guy was going down...don't think I have seen such a win in pro racing in my nearly 40 years of following...say what you want, but that was just outright legend stuff...

Quote:
This. While Pogs win and the manner he got it was amazing, the race unfolded heavily in his favor after he went and a concerted chase never really happened. That is not to discount his move and everyone else's inability to follow it (despite him literally calling his shot ahead of time), but in a race with with WVA and MvDP and I think he gets brought back. Might not have changed the outcome, but the last 80k would have been more interesting.

Last edited by cash05458; 03-05-2024 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
Doubtful...what we didn't see on the t.v. was the work done by his team to wear everyone out beforehand...Wellens did an incredible job...most guys were already at their limit when he went...
Visma and Alpecin could have sent stronger teams there if they really wanted to target this race. If WVA and MvDP went they would have and it wouldn't have just been the UAE show all day. Again, nothing against Pogs, win, it was incredible, but this wasn't exactly a stacked field when arguably the two best 1-day racers in the sport weren't there.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Visma and Alpecin could have sent stronger teams there if they really wanted to target this race. If WVA and MvDP went they would have and it wouldn't have just been the UAE show all day. Again, nothing against Pogs, win, it was incredible, but this wasn't exactly a stacked field when arguably the two best 1-day racers in the sport weren't there.
There is simply no way even MVDP would have held on there at 80...those guys as great as they are would have been riding for 2nd and 3rd...period. Enjoy it, you just saw a serious legend thing in pro racing...that was domination.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:32 PM
v a n i l l a

Recall when Fabian rode away at P-R one year (Boonen eating lunch in the rear)?
Old 03-05-2024, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
that was a 30 second win...we are watching Merckx like stuff here...or at least that is my feeling...the kid wins tours...wins classics...dominates in this incredible way...has won lombardy 3 times...flanders...Strade yet again...Liege as well...plus two tours...won all three jerseys at the tour...now does classics in a kick ass fashion and hardcore...friggin nuts this kid...yep, we are watching something here...this is legend stuff...this young guy is IT via cycling...

Last edited by cash05458; 03-05-2024 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
that was a 30 second win...we are watching Merckx like stuff here...or at least that is my feeling...the kid wins tours...wins classics...dominates in this incredible way...has won lombardy 3 times...flanders...Strade yet again...Liege as well...plus two tours...won all three jerseys at the tour...now does classics in a kick ass fashion and hardcore...friggin nuts this kid...yep, we are watching something here...this is legend stuff...this young guy is IT via cycling...
Cancellara’s 2010 win at Roubaix was similarly dominating. He rode everyone off his wheel, pulled out 2:00 on second and third place, and 3+ minutes on the next group. But Cancellara wasn’t a grand tour winner. I agree that in Pogacar, we are seeing a generational talent. I’d love to see him win Roubaix and Milan-San Remo to capture all the monuments. The next few years will be interesting.

Greg
Old 03-05-2024, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Cancellara’s 2010 win at Roubaix was similarly dominating. He rode everyone off his wheel, pulled out 2:00 on second and third place, and 3+ minutes on the next group. But Cancellara wasn’t a grand tour winner. I agree that in Pogacar, we are seeing a generational talent. I’d love to see him win Roubaix and Milan-San Remo to capture all the monuments. The next few years will be interesting.

Greg

yes, true..thanks for the info update...personally, after watching this stuff for nearly 40 years...to watch a guy do both classics and tours...and do this...yeah, reminds me of the best stuff...to even ask about say Roubaix when he is a very light guy and a great climber...dont think that can happen...but yes, as a overall rider this kid is something way out of the ordinary...I always found the Merkcx comparison silly and they have been making it for every new guy forever...comes up every time a few years via a classic winner...but this guy is different...very different...there is no way W.V.A or M.V.D.P is winning a tour...no biggie, but just saying I have never seen a win like that in a semi classic in such a way...insanely impressive...just a brutal rider on all levels...plus, seems like a nice kid actually!
Old 03-06-2024, 09:17 AM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Yes, agreed, pf course Spartacus is NOT Pog. What Pog did at SB is at one level remarkable (solo break) and at another level unbelievable (no drug inference intended) in the very upper rare air (Eddie, etc)

And, while plenty of us rag all over JV, who here doesn't like Pog?
Old 03-07-2024, 01:21 PM

Dude had to be putting down some serious watts.....these time splits are crazy