Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 11:47 AM

Help with a Topstone ad?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and can't post to classifieds yet but could really use help/ advice about selling my bike. I've posted it to a bunch of places and it's getting 'watched' or saved but hasn't moved in a month+. Can anyone please suggest a group or forum where it might generate interest? Would anyone be willing to take a look at my ad and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Can I post a link here or is that not allowed?

It's a 2020 Cannondale Topstone, in good shape, with some extras. Already priced at less than half than I put into it...

Any help very much appreciated, thank you!

Alex
Old Today, 11:50 AM

I imagine you need to lower the price if it's not moving fast enough
Old Today, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Yea, there is no secret. The used bike market is very weak right now.

I know I have looked at things on ebay, just looked at them, not watched and I get lots of offers with a lower price now, almost immediately. I just dont think people are buying right now for whatever reason.

As mentioned, if you really want/need it gone, just keep dropping the price.
Old Today, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the replies, sigh. I lowered the price several times and already it's below where i'm comfortable ... guess it can keep going down
Old Today, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamak View Post
Thanks for the replies, sigh. I lowered the price several times and already it's below where i'm comfortable ... guess it can keep going down
Unfortunately, timing is everything. In 2021, when demand was high and supply chain issues limited the number of new bikes available, you could sell a used bike for almost as much as a new bike. In 2024, after demand has dropped and the supply chain is glutted with unsold new inventory, used bike sales are competing with price drops and clearance sales as retailers try to move excess inventory, so used bikes will only sell at low prices.
Old Today, 01:39 PM
Administrator

The other thing is that depending on where you live, it's nearing the end of the riding season. Not too many get excited about buying a new bike when the weather is about to turn cold. If you live someplace that has a real winter, it may be better waiting until the Spring to sell.
Old Today, 02:11 PM

You could also consider parting it out and selling it as a frameset. I’d generally expect at most 50% off retail if very good condition and the part is desirable.

I recently used Facebook marketplace and a bike sold in a day.
Old Today, 02:12 PM

I'd be happy to take a look if you want. I've found with my own ads and others that it is much easier to sell things if I've taken the time to clean the item, post nice pictures (clear light, properly level, square and aligned, white balanced etc.) and clear copy with all relevant specs and information.

Unfortunately, from low end to quite high end <50% of MSRP is very common, if not to be expected these days.
Old Today, 02:15 PM

I would suggest trying parting out the bike and keeping what you want. I recently just purchased a good conditioned Scarab Apuna frame off of EBay for $425. Lowering the price might be your best bet.