Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2024, 07:02 PM

1" Colnago Force fork headset help needed

Trying to install a headset on the bike and this fork but the 26.4 race is too loose, like can be installed by hand with play.

Any idea's, worn steerer, wrong size, ...
Old 04-24-2024, 07:32 PM
Administrator

I don't recall the specific dimensions, but when I recently replaced the headset on my Serotta with a 1" steel fork, the headset came in box with two different crown races. One fit the fork perfectly, one was too small in ID, so I'm guessing there were/are two different common size IDs for crown races?
Old 04-24-2024, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I don't recall the specific dimensions, but when I recently replaced the headset on my Serotta with a 1" steel fork, the headset came in box with two different crown races. One fit the fork perfectly, one was too small in ID, so I'm guessing there were/are two different common size IDs for crown races?
Yep, far as I know it's 27 and 26.4. Hence why I'm stumped. Part of the fun with used bikes.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:42 PM
Administrator

If you get to a point where you just want a solution, I have used bearing retaining compound on a loose crown race on an old MTB and it held well.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
If you get to a point where you just want a solution, I have used bearing retaining compound on a loose crown race on an old MTB and it held well.
Yes, this is a feature! You can adjust your headtube angle when using the bearing compound. People pay money for headsets that do this

Report back on your solution for posterity.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:50 PM

Try a cartridge bearing headset and "split" the crown race. Tightening the HS will provide some clamping force to the crown race. Bearing mount compound would be a good addition as well.

If it works adequately, buy some spare cartridge bearings as they will likely have a shorter service life.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:09 PM

I dunno if you actually want to do this, but I've roughed up a fork crown that was cut a little too aggressively small using a hammer and a nail setting punch around the crown to make a tighter fit to the race. This was suggested by a frame builder when I had the same issue (they will remain nameless but they had/have the cred). I imagine the Colnago workshop had their occasional blips-- hey it came from Italy, embrace the passion, not the precision!
Old 04-25-2024, 06:05 AM

Never had that issue with any Colnago forks, including a couple of Force forks. I always use Chris King threadless; what are you installing?
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-25-2024, 09:10 AM

^ Cane Creek, never had a problem with them in the past.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:25 AM

Have you measured the fork’s crown race seat and the inside of the headset crown race to determine their diameters? Those measurements will inform you as to whether it’s a fork issue or a headset issue.

Greg
Old 04-25-2024, 12:45 PM

For very slightly loose crown race JA Stein offers a crown race knurling tool. A couple of the older shops in town have them here and they work well!
Old 04-25-2024, 01:08 PM

You can try staking the crown with a punch. Usually 4-6 spots equi spacing around should do it.
Old 04-25-2024, 04:24 PM

So, last year I met a guy who's over in town and had started up a business doing repairs on carbon fiber bikes. Learned his trade working on the aircraft on base. Met him when he came to buy a Klein bike from me.

I reached out to him via email with some pics asking if he thinks it's something he could safely repair. Looking closely it's seems like Colnago put like an extra wrap of CF where the race would fit. Mine has one area where it looks like about 1/4" section of that has worn away.

More to follow...
Old 04-25-2024, 05:17 PM

Some pics.....

I'm a steel guy normally so this C.F. stuff is new to me.

I found various pics of these forks online where it looks like there metal or something where he race goes. Others look like carbon only?

Is this maybe just totally missing something which would explain things I guess?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0455.jpg (117.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0456.jpg (76.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0457.jpg (86.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0458.jpg (107.7 KB, 74 views)
Old 04-25-2024, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacant View Post
You can try staking the crown with a punch. Usually 4-6 spots equi spacing around should do it.
It's not a good idea to stake a crown that's going to be installed on a carbon seat.

-Bob