Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 05-16-2022, 12:02 AM

I went for the single scoop. I haven't ridden dirt since I was in my teens on a BMX bike, I don't climb very often, and I was on a road bike with gravel wheels. Luckily I was following my friend who had his kid in a bike trailer so I was able to go at a pace I was capable of. If I went alone and tried to follow any of the other riders I probably would have had a bad time. Some of the descending through the dirt was pretty intense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg view.jpg (149.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg patch.jpg (147.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg map.jpg (83.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 05-16-2022, 10:41 AM
hoolered

Wow what a swap! I bought a bunch of stuff, too!

Old 05-16-2022, 01:14 PM

What a great weekend, huh? I was dishing out water and waffles at aid station number one and everyone was in such a great mood. Even the aforementioned guy with his screaming kid in a trailer seemed stoked - ha! Props to him, and the kid! We did a sweep of the course once we'd shut the station down and had to pick one guy up who was in a bad way on Big T. Unsurprisingly, the triple scoop was more road than gravel and these folks doing it on 26" 90s MTBs in 95 degree heat deserve a big pat on the back.

Picked this up yesterday from GSC's Mick at the swap meet. Very happy with it. Almost entirely 1990 catalog spec.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2AA0041E-7560-4AF1-81BA-79F029457D52.jpg (149.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-16-2022, 01:17 PM

Oh and keep an eye out on The Radavist for John's full gallery. Suspect it'll appear at some point today.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Nice! Looks like you guys had a great time!
Old 05-16-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
What a great weekend, huh? I was dishing out water and waffles at aid station number one and everyone was in such a great mood. Even the aforementioned guy with his screaming kid in a trailer seemed stoked - ha! Props to him, and the kid! We did a sweep of the course once we'd shut the station down and had to pick one guy up who was in a bad way on Big T. Unsurprisingly, the triple scoop was more road than gravel and these folks doing it on 26" 90s MTBs in 95 degree heat deserve a big pat on the back.

Picked this up yesterday from GSC's Mick at the swap meet. Very happy with it. Almost entirely 1990 catalog spec.
The Triple Scoop stretch on Big T was no joke in that heat + no shade. That leg was Type 2 fun, but glad I stuck it out and scored the last burrito at the Mt Wilson aid station.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
The Triple Scoop stretch on Big T was no joke in that heat + no shade. That leg was Type 2 fun, but glad I stuck it out and scored the last burrito at the Mt Wilson aid station.
Which bike were you on? The guy we swept was the last guy en-route, so we definitely would've passed you (in the blue Ranger pickup with three bikes on it, five people crammed into it and water coolers galore). I have never and will never climb Big T. That road is a descent and a descent only in my eyes haha
Old 05-16-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Which bike were you on? The guy we swept was the last guy en-route, so we definitely would've passed you (in the blue Ranger pickup with three bikes on it, five people crammed into it and water coolers galore).
Hah, yeah I was the guy on the Riv Atlantis rolling along at about 5 mph in my granny ring when you guys pulled up. I think my comment was “That part of the ride SUUUCKED!” As soon as I made it to Red Box and had a cold Coke from the cultural center I bounced right back. I met Scuba Steve and Thomas there and rode up to the summit and back to the shop with them — it was nice to have company on the last stretch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26CA11E2-C241-49BF-AB11-4BCF823B272D.jpg (68.4 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Xrslug; 05-16-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:27 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
I have never and will never climb Big T. That road is a descent and a descent only in my eyes haha
Jake, you have this backwards. Descending Big T is a bone-jarring dose of unpleasantness but it's a really nice climb.

@hummus_aquinas, that's @GOTHBROOKS and his Stinner in your first photo, no?
Old 05-16-2022, 06:32 PM
mentholated

yes and im still waiting for the little trophy for my little car.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Jake, you have this backwards. Descending Big T is a bone-jarring dose of unpleasantness but it's a really nice climb.

@hummus_aquinas, that's @GOTHBROOKS and his Stinner in your first photo, no?
Upper Big T, sorry. I agree on climbing and descending Big T.