Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Same story for you, sir.

Find an iPhone SE 64GB for cheap and you can use your same case. You'll enjoy a nice bump in performance and battery life as well.

New SE's can be had for cheap through your carrier, or even deeper discounts at swappa.com

https://swappa.com/buy/apple-iphone-se
I have have good experiences buying from this site. Yes, these phones are used but each listing is approved by a human. Set the filters to the color + size you want and mint condition, and look for a seller with feedback greater than zero.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:02 AM

I just sold off all of my Apple stuff (iphone 7, 6S, Watch, Ipad) on Swappa.com, it was pretty hassle free, and most everything sold within 2 days. I'd look there for an older phone!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:43 AM

Hey OP, when I want/need to buy new phone or tablets, the first place I check is swappa.com. I got wind of them from a geeky forum. I've had good luck with them and I like how they offer you tools to verify that the ESN is clean. Also seems to be a bit more controls (to my eye) around sellers.

Still caveat emptor and all that but it's where I go first vs ebay.

Here's the link to the 5SE area. Not sure which carrier but will let you click on down from here. Good luck.

Last edited by roguedog; 10-19-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Thanks for the offer but wifey, bless her heart, wants a rose gold one..some 'deals' for new in unopened box on fleabay..
Stick with the one's that have an inventory and have sold a bit already.
Also, before you open the box, check the SIM number (on the box, https://www.imei.info/check-warranty-unlock/) before you open it (can't see it on eBay), and if used, return.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Thanks for the offer but wifey, bless her heart, wants a rose gold one..some 'deals' for new in unopened box on fleabay..
Happy wife, happy life! I hope she enjoys the new phone. And another vote for Swappa too. I have bought and sold on there and have a better impression of it that eBay, FWIW.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:14 AM

When you get the new phone, use google photos or Dropbox to back up those photos automatically when she’s back on WiFi.

Actually, back up to both before you get he new one set up and she’ll have access to all the old stuff and room for new.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:55 AM

just retired my ancient 5, thought I wanted to get a 5 SE, but a phone-savvy buddy convinced me to get a 6S instead...

glad I listened...went to Swappa and scored a 'mint' one for under $200.

phone arrived in flawless condition. good site...
Old 10-19-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Stick with the one's that have an inventory and have sold a bit already.
Also, before you open the box, check the SIM number (on the box, https://www.imei.info/check-warranty-unlock/) before you open it (can't see it on eBay), and if used, return.
Not really sure what you're saying here - SIM's are IMSI's (mobile subscriber id) whereas IMEIs are hardware ids. There are tons of apps to pull IMEI - and I think there's a screen on the iphone Settings menu too. Don't trust what's written on a box or on a sticker.

If you're wondering if its locked or not, Canadian phones are not allowed to be locked to a carrier since Dec 2017 so just pick one up with a Canadian address.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:01 AM
n - 1

Rose gold, black, white.......color doesn't matter. Most people just cover it up with a case anyway! Get her a rose gold case instead.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:21 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Rose gold, black, white.......color doesn't matter. Most people just cover it up with a case anyway! Get her a rose gold case instead.
She wants a clear case...see ‘happy wife’ above... gonna go to a good feedback eBay guy, mostly because the $ is about the same as swappa but the phone is new, never opened. Teeny return policy but return policy nonetheless.

Thanks for all the great info tho.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:35 PM

^
I am looking for a SE too, and looked at swappa also, from this thread. It seems OK, but hard to know since I never tried it before.

Does anyone know if a seller states "Apple Refurbished" on swappa or eBay, did Apple actually do that refurbishment? With some certificate or even warranty? The iPhone sellers (99.9% of those I wrote to) on eBay never reply to questions. It is odd.

Also, while of course a 30-day eBay return policy is good, free, better than "No Returns Allowed", but are those +/- $40 2-year "Square Trade" insurance policies on eBay worth it, for a phone that is no longer in production?
Old 10-20-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Not really sure what you're saying here - SIM's are IMSI's (mobile subscriber id) whereas IMEIs are hardware ids. There are tons of apps to pull IMEI - and I think there's a screen on the iphone Settings menu too. Don't trust what's written on a box or on a sticker.

If you're wondering if its locked or not, Canadian phones are not allowed to be locked to a carrier since Dec 2017 so just pick one up with a Canadian address.
Yes, meant IMEI.
Reason I suggested checking before opening a sealed eBay purchase is because if, for example, a Sprint Locked iPhone was purchased and a T-Mobile was received, then send back to eBay seller for a refund (might be a refund issue if the box is opened)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:43 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
^
I am looking for a SE too, and looked at swappa also, from this thread. It seems OK, but hard to know since I never tried it before.

Does anyone know if a seller states "Apple Refurbished" on swappa or eBay, did Apple actually do that refurbishment? With some certificate or even warranty? The iPhone sellers (99.9% of those I wrote to) on eBay never reply to questions. It is odd.

Also, while of course a 30-day eBay return policy is good, free, better than "No Returns Allowed", but are those +/- $40 2-year "Square Trade" insurance policies on eBay worth it, for a phone that is no longer in production?
Apple Refurb will be from the seller taking it in and apple providing them with a replacement for whatever reason.

You should pass on the square trade insurance and keep the $40 for a case or save it for buying your next phone.