Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2018, 02:10 PM
Proud Grandpa

OT-iPhone 5c memory upgrade??

Calling all iPhone nerds.....
Wife’s has 16g, possible to upgrade it to 32g?
Old 10-18-2018, 02:13 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Calling all iPhone nerds.....
Wife’s has 16g, possible to upgrade it to 32g?
That's a no.

Unless you want to store stuff on dropbox, icloud, etc.

No extra card can be added to an iPhone to expand internal memory.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:18 PM

Correct.

It is not possible to add memory.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:19 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
That's a no.

Unless you want to store stuff on dropbox, icloud, etc.

No extra card can be added to an iPhone to expand internal memory.
Bummer..wife, with her scads of photos and videos, gets the ‘running low on memory’, all the time. Yes, I download to external hard drive and she eventually erases but. Plus she wants the 5 size, big nyet to newer, bigger phones.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Bummer..wife, with her scads of photos and videos, gets the ‘running low on memory’, all the time. Yes, I download to external hard drive and she eventually erases but. Plus she wants the 5 size, big nyet to newer, bigger phones.
Thanks
Saving to EHD + even iCloud, Dropbox, etc. is critical especially for personal stuff like family photo, etc.

16gb (claimed; it is really more like 12) is very little storage these days. Larger file photos, videos, iTunes, etc.; 16gb is now all gone very quickly.

I agree with your wife regarding the "5" size, and I do not like the larger phones either.

So, if she wants that format/look/Apple os with more storage on a phone itself, the only options now are NOS, refurnbished, or maybe mint, clean iPhone 5C, 5S, or SE (SE is great) with 32, 64, or even 128gb.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks
Easier path would be to find a refurbished iPhone 5S with lots of memory for something like $100-150 and use the "restore" function in iTunes to get the new phone up and running.

iPhone storage has always been non-user upgradeable.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:31 PM

The Iphone SE is the same size as the 5. Its basicly a very much upgraded version of the 5c i would say. Not that expensive and comes in a 64g (i think) even if needed.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:34 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Easier path would be to find a refurbished iPhone 5S with lots of memory for something like $100-150 and use the "restore" function in iTunes to get the new phone up and running.

iPhone storage has always been non-user upgradeable.
Yup, that’s the direction...maybe Apple refurbed iPhone ‘5’...I’m a little Leary of stuff on eBay, etc. thanks again to the forum brain trust...
Old 10-18-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
The Iphone SE is the same size as the 5. Its basicly a very much upgraded version of the 5c i would say. Not that expensive and comes in a 64g (i think) even if needed.
Apple doesn't sell this one anymore.

OP - Time to get Wifey a new phone. The 5C was a total dog in the Apple universe. And when you get her a new phone get lots of memory. I've always bought the most memory available and I've never been sorry. Apps take up a lot of space.

Pony up, Buttercup! Get her an 8! It's probably the last one with a home button.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

OP - Time to get Wifey a new phone. The 5C was a total dog in the Apple universe. And when you get her a new phone get lots of memory. I've always bought the most memory available and I've never been sorry. Apps take up a lot of space.

Pony up, Buttercup! Get her an 8! It's probably the last one with a home button.

aha thought it was since its available in a lot of places around here still (sweden tho) and not a bad option imo for someone not needing the latest n greatest.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Yup, that’s the direction...maybe Apple refurbed iPhone ‘5’...I’m a little Leary of stuff on eBay, etc. thanks again to the forum brain trust...
Yes, just do that. iPhone SE. 32gb, but better for not much more money get 64 or even 128. Then you are set.

The order, also in terms of quality, was 5C to 5S to SE. Those 3 models are all the same size, so any cases, etc. will fit them all, but the SE was by far the best of the 3.

Also, SE was the most recent discontinued, which was made "official" (no real announcement) when the new "X" (stands for "crazy $$$") phones were released a few weeks ago. So, hopefully there should still be some Apple-refurbished or even NOS iPhone SE around if you look around.

I would be leery of most eBay iPhones too, but you might get lucky there. Wherever you buy, if the phone is refurbished, etc., definitely ensure that the phone is ready for new activation, that is: a) unlocked or compatible with your current carrier and b) with clean IMEI/ESN numbers.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:

The last release with the physical, mechanical home button was the 6S, which also had the fingerprint reader.

IMO the S versions were always the way to go with iPhone releases - all the earlier physical faults are usually figured out by then, and the innards are always better.

And yes, purchasing as much memory as you can afford on an iPhone is the best policy but there's a few tricks here and there that go a long way for saving space like not taking full res images if not needed, removing downloaded content from streaming sites, clearing internet cache, etc.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:03 PM
Proud Grandpa

Unhappy

Quote:

See ‘size’ above...no big phones, even the smaller ones..
Old 10-18-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Look for an iPhone SE in this case. Same size but way better than the 5C.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
SE.

64 or 128gb.

Apple-refurbished or NOS-guaranteed.

You will not get Apple warranties on these, of course, but the SE is a perfect phone for your wife's needs, far better than her old 5C.