Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 08:12 PM

OT: Doodles

So we have been dogless for a few years now and the wifey is ready for another family member. She is really into the different doodle breeds.
Me, I am a sporting dog guy. I have had a couple pairs of german shorthairs,springer spaniels and a pair of english setters. All of these were hunting dogs and I love to watch them work the field.
Well my killing day are over so just need a family pet.
Does anyone have any experience with these designer crosses? I am partial to the irish doodle as I love setters but any of the golden,lab or mini doodles.
Let me hear your experience.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:29 PM

I have met a couple of cool labradoodles. OTOH a full size poodle is a neat sporting dog, easy to train and they don't shed. I just would have to avoid the weird classic groomers' delight and keep the dog in a puppy cut forever.

One of our two dogs now is a malti-poo. A really fun dog but at 13 pounds probably a bit smaller than you have in mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eric 2.jpg (103.0 KB, 413 views)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:31 PM

I have a 5yr old Goldendoodle. He’s been wonderful - playful, loving, and protective when someone rings the doorbell. He’s patient with our 7 mo old getting 99% of the attention and is eager to please and train. He is very social and great with people yet ok to lounge which is what he does while we’re gone.

No shedding, expensive haircuts. He’s 68lbs, standard poodle dad, golden mom. He’s great!

Go for it!
Old 10-17-2018, 08:35 PM

We have a mini Golden Doodle, not too small, about 37 pounds. My wife wanted a toy but this female was offered to us by the breeder and we decided not to wait. Abigail is now about two years old and what a great dog!!..somewhat stocky like a Golden Retriever and there's not a day that goes by that she doesn't amaze us with how smart she is (the poodle in her) and what a great disposition!...she's beautiful, furry, curly and best of all, a non shedding coat!!
We've had Saint Bernard's, German Shepherd's, Lab's and a Cocker..this dog is easily the best pet yet!...
You won't regret whatever mix you get, they seem to be the best of both breeds
with a summer haircut.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170920_160225 (2).jpg (125.2 KB, 405 views)

Last edited by ls1togo; 10-17-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 PM

I pet sit a golden doodle 2-3 times a year for 1-2 weeks at a time. While I'm not the primary owner I've watched this dog close to 6 times so she knows who I am.

The dog is "great". Very easy going-friendly- good with kids.

EXTREMELY STUBBORN.

Now I dont know if its this specific dog//if it hasnt been trained properly//if maybe it just doesnt like me or respect me// but this dog does whatever the **** it wants and weighs 90 lbs so its not like I can really force it to do something it doesnt want to do.

For reference --I'm going to take the dog on a walk to do its morning biz and go out--let it off the leash in a dog park and poof--dog is gone--wont listen to any commands (I was told this is fairly normal and to always keep her on leash).

Anyway--I prefer hounds myself--they might have their downsides but at least theyre super food motivated and I think theyre easier to train. Im biased--Ive had hounds all my life and am used to the breed so maybe I just dont understand this specific doodle but sheesh--this dog didnt want to walk and refused to poop.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:20 PM

Cody the Airedoodle just turned 12 and has been a blast the whole time. He still needs his daily exercise and can run for miles if we don't go too frequently. 55 pounds and he has poodle hair so he gets regular haircuts. He is as smart and clever as a poodle and terrier combined, and that has made him a blast. Was easy to train and he fully respects all of the rules, at least 95% of the time which is why dogs need a leash.

Great traveler and we even hunted a little when he was younger. I previously had a German Shorthair that was a good pheasant dog. Cody was good at ground game like rabbits and even flushing quail, besides the nose for it and retriever qualities of a poodle he did well because he would pay attention to me and work on hand directions and verbal commands.

I've never come across another Airedale Standard Poodle mix but they're perfect if you ask me. We adopted him from a shelter and the breeder later found us so we got his back story. The breeder had raised and trained Airedales for search & rescue or search and recovery for years and ended up with a Standard Poodle male so added doodles to her program. Cody and a litter mate were trained for recovery and donated to a missing person case, after they did their job the family turned the dogs into a shelter. He was messed up after that experience but patience and a stable routine helped him become a wonderful companion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cody-m.jpg (102.8 KB, 379 views)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:04 AM

We got 2 poddles many years ago in my country, I do agree, stubborn as hell when they want to, ours were toy size. Now that i know more about dogs probably i would have trained those 2 differently. THe male lived like 15 years... insanely old. Poodle IMO pretty much goes with one owner and that owner is the one that can do what ever they want with them, the rest of the family from what I noticed is a big F--u! Ours had a bad temper that you cant imagine, he did not like you at the 1st second you were toasted.

One of our dogs was put down and we are now in the countdown to see how much his brother will last, he started doing weird stuff of old dogs now, meanwhile Im looking round and a couple of doodle's caught my eye... specially because of the fur. Easier to keep the house clean when a dog doesnt have 3 coats of hair :/
Old 10-18-2018, 07:28 AM

Rescue!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dogs.jpg (156.7 KB, 345 views)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

It seems there are 2 kinds of Goldens: the smarter than both little brothers put together' kind like our old dog, and the 'dumber'n a box of rocks' kind.

I much prefer to have a smart dog. Makes things much easier.

Poodles are typically smart dogs (FWI can tell) so a smart poodle and a smart golden would make a fantastic dog

M
Old 10-18-2018, 10:06 AM

I was the neighborhood walker for a friends Labradoodle--she was a beautiful smart dog (also had been mistreated when young so she didn't trust men much).

Picture of me--Bella on the left, Mayzey (full size poodle on right).

If she was typical, then I would go for it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mazey_Bella.jpg (51.7 KB, 302 views)
Old 10-18-2018, 10:09 AM

goldendoodles are wonderful dogs. my daughter has one and truth be told probably the best all around dog. wait, just so you know i come from a family that always had poodles. as an avid small game hunter i can say there is no better hunting/sporting dog than a standard poodle. smarts and the ability to swim like a fish with his webbed feet. others have said and i agree a poodle is basically a one person dog. sure he will tolerant a family but only be true to one person imho. whereas a goldendoodle is more a family dog. stubborn? yep that comes from the poodle. basically they do what they want, but that being said, again imho the poodle is the smartest dog there is. so if you want a family friendly dog get a goldendoodle, if a sporting game dog that is somewhat aluf and standoffish a standard poodle may fit the bill.

as a sidebar my daughter has been very active in goldendoodle rescue both her doodles have come from there. if you are interested in a doodle please let me know and i will give you her contact info.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:24 AM

We love our doodles--best dogs ever. These are goldendoodles, btw.

Daisy and Stanley:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-18-2018, 10:52 AM
I need you cool.

Just a thought....there are plenty of dogs that need to be rescued from shelters, and lots of poodle-mixes to be had...

We rescued (what appears to be) a schnauzer-poodle mix (schnoodle) about 4 yrs ago....13 lbs and sweetest dog ever...see picture

I grew up with hunting dogs as well (goldens and springers) and love them, but I do not miss the hair all over the house one bit.

Any "sporting" dog (including golden/lab-doodle mixes) is also going to need lots of attention and exercise to keep it happy....home-alone is a recipe for disaster, so unless you work from home, factor in the cost of a dog walker too.

That's my $0.02.....

Enjoy the process....dogs are a great addition to the family!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-10-18 08_50_59-MAGGIE.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg (39.0 KB, 283 views)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:47 PM

We doggy-share with our neighbours down the street (well, its their dog, but we have young kids who pine for a dog that we cant have) and Lizzie happens to be a Labradoodle.

Not my idea of a beautiful dog by any means, but she has the perfect personality - cheery, energetic, PERFECT with kids. This is the dog that allowed my daughter to get over her fear of dogs. Lizzie occasionally sleeps over and my daughter begs to let the dog sleep on her bed
Old 10-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Just a thought....there are plenty of dogs that need to be rescued from shelters, and lots of poodle-mixes to be had...

We rescued (what appears to be) a schnauzer-poodle mix (schnoodle) about 4 yrs ago....13 lbs and sweetest dog ever...see picture

I grew up with hunting dogs as well (goldens and springers) and love them, but I do not miss the hair all over the house one bit.

Any "sporting" dog (including golden/lab-doodle mixes) is also going to need lots of attention and exercise to keep it happy....home-alone is a recipe for disaster, so unless you work from home, factor in the cost of a dog walker too.

That's my $0.02.....

Enjoy the process....dogs are a great addition to the family!
You ain't seen nuthin till you've owned a Border Collie. Good thing I worked from home and even then...

M