Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2018, 02:39 PM

New rubber report

Schwalbe G-1 Allround, size 700x40, tubeless. My friend Sylvain mounted them (an easy mount) before my 8-day tour in the Alps. Figured 8 days riding the Alps ought to show what they’re about. It did.

Pretty much did it all, smooth asphalt, rustic asphalt, barely asphalt, smooth dirt, smooth gravel, coarse gravel, embedded rocks and dirt, chewed up rock, gravel, and dirt, cracked, lumpy, crumbling tar and gravel, only mud was missing, which was fine by me. Lots of climbing, lots of descending, lots of gravity plunges on twisting, diving, nervous blacktop.

I weigh 65-66 kg (143-145 lbs) and usually run the front tire at around 35-36 psi, the back at 38-39. That’s the pressure reading on the gauge on my pump. No idea if it’s accurate. When the road was particularly rocky I’d let air out of both tires. Unmeasured, just press the valve, release air. Maybe a pound or two. Sometimes I’d let more air out if the first time didn’t do the trick. Always improved the ride on rocks and dirt with no decrease in performance on asphalt.

The small knobs did all that was needed. Might not be enough in mud but mud’s not my thing so…. How they’ll last remains to be seen but little sign of wear after the tour. The distance we covered was modest, 292 K (181 miles), but the vertical was more impressive, 10,408 meters (34,147 ft), with a good bit of climbing on dirt and rock on steep grades, which normally wears the back tire faster than other conditions.

Fattest tires I’ve run on my bike, fat enough that I need to let air out to get the front tire past the brake pads. They also have a nice round profile so presumably their footprint is generous, especially at low pressure. When I ran them at maybe 42-43 psi, they felt bouncy on asphalt. The sweet spot on blacktop for me seems to be right around 39-40 psi, again based solely on my pump’s gauge. At that pressure they feel crazy fast, purely subjective, not data-based. They feel as fast as the Compass Bon Jons I ran for awhile but given that was around 2 years ago, the comparison has little validity. What I really remember about the Compass tires was how much fun they were, flying over the asphalt then diving into curves with an astounding sureness that made me all but cry out in joy. These Schwalbe G1 tires have the same effect. I come out of turns smiling like an idiot thinking damn these tires are fun!

And no flats. That was on some at times pretty rough conditions too with me maybe at times carrying a bit more speed than might have been reasonable. No loss of air overnight either, or at least almost none. I say almost none because most every morning I’d put the pump to the tires and naturally there’s some air that escapes in the process of hooking up. I think any loss I saw was just that but again conjecture.

So, that’s my feedback on the G1s. My son insisted I try them, told me he thought they were currently the leading edge of tires for fat-tired road bikes. My experience of different tires is limited but they sure as heck impressed me.

A few pics that sort of show the tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike shot.jpg (145.9 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg bike-tire shot.jpg (144.4 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg bike-tires shot.jpg (148.0 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg tire shot.jpg (145.5 KB, 377 views)
Old 10-02-2018, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the report, good looking tires. I'm running a set of Schwalbe Big One 27.5x2.35 on my 'Road' bike(although a lower tread version), and feel the same way about them. The Big one was the precursor to the G One, very similar tire.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:20 PM
IamEllis

I've been running these same tires on my gravel bike for a few years in both the 700c and 27.5x1.5" version. Setup tubeless they really do ride nicely and are respectably light. I have had a couple instances where G-One Allround's got cuts that were large enough that the sealant had a hard time filling them. When I discussed this with my Schwalbe rep, he recommended the G-One Speed our upcoming tour since this tire has a puncture resistant belt under the tread that the Allround does not have. Their thinking is that the Allround does not need it as it's intended more for gravel where you'd have less chance of hitting glass or some other debris that would cut the tire, while the Speed is more of a dedicated road tire. The Speed also has smaller, lower profile nubs, so a bit less grip on gravel or loose stuff.

We had great luck on our tour, ZERO flats in 2500 miles (both bikes!). Really pleased with both versions of these Schwalbe tires, just pick what you need based on where you're going to ride them.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:41 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wages View Post
I've been running these same tires on my gravel bike for a few years in both the 700c and 27.5x1.5" version. Setup tubeless they really do ride nicely and are respectably light. I have had a couple instances where G-One Allround's got cuts that were large enough that the sealant had a hard time filling them. When I discussed this with my Schwalbe rep, he recommended the G-One Speed our upcoming tour since this tire has a puncture resistant belt under the tread that the Allround does not have. Their thinking is that the Allround does not need it as it's intended more for gravel where you'd have less chance of hitting glass or some other debris that would cut the tire, while the Speed is more of a dedicated road tire. The Speed also has smaller, lower profile nubs, so a bit less grip on gravel or loose stuff.

We had great luck on our tour, ZERO flats in 2500 miles (both bikes!). Really pleased with both versions of these Schwalbe tires, just pick what you need based on where you're going to ride them.
I love the G One Speeds and used them on a similar tour. No flats, no issues, and plenty comfortable! I am a fan of Schwalbe for on and off-road rubber. Thanks, OP for the write-up.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:16 PM
n - 1

Anyone know how these measure? Over or undersized, or right on?
Old 10-19-2018, 09:26 AM
IamEllis

The 700x38 G-One Allround's that I have mounted on HED Ardennes+ rims measure almost exactly 40mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Anyone know how these measure? Over or undersized, or right on?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:18 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wages View Post
The 700x38 G-One Allround's that I have mounted on HED Ardennes+ rims measure almost exactly 40mm.
Thank you. I may have to give these a try.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:50 AM
Member?

Running the 35 size on a Felt VR4 this season. Very happy with them. Roll well on pavement and grip well on dirt roads. Jury is still out on longevity. Gave up trying to run them tubless...could not get them to seat on HED wheels - did not try using a compressor.